AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 2609 Posts

·
Banned
6,554 Posts
Hi Dave, did you manage to look deeper into the LK970 ?
Not yet, but will definitely this weekend because it has to ship out Monday.

Has anyone done a full review/test of this projector?
Not that I have been able to find. I am the only real techy person that seems to have used this in this type of environment I think. Seeing as my word doesn't mean much here apparently, I guess we will have to wait until there are some.

The only real "review" I saw was here, and must be translated:
http://www.avbuzz.com/audio-video/201709/benq-lk970/

Also, it appears that @12GAGE has found a much better explanation and proof that these BenQ BlueCore Laser Phosphor projectors use a dynamic laser control circuit which to my "untrained eye" works great! This is apparently the same as the "Constant Brightness" feature I saw mentioned on the Vivitek DK8500Z-BK. Unlike the "other" Dynamic Black/Laser dimming systems I have experienced, this one doesn't show any signs of pumping or being in use at all and it is virtually invisible to the eye. One of the big things I noticed with this BenQ LK970 is the image in dark scenes have so much shadow detail and the colors are still very vibrant and pop, even at low APLs, unlike many other projectors I have seen.

https://business-display.benq.com/en/findproduct/projector/large-venue-projectors/lu9915.html :

Ultra-High Contrast with Automatic Power Control
BenQ BlueCore laser projectors directly control light output for faster response and strikingly clear images at a super-high contrast ratio of 100,000:1. Additionally there are automatic brightness adjustments to retain clarity and subtle details in dark scenes and balance in bright scenes.

·
Banned
6,554 Posts
@Dave Harper

Any updates? Really would like to know some contrast and brightness measurements.
I am doing some final calibrations before shipment starting tonight, so should have something soon.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Thanks a lot Dave. I think everybody on this thread appreciates it. For me I would probably be most interested in brightness and the laser control. If you can get decent black level with the laser without pumping I think this unit would really check all of the boxes for me. I would also be interested in the gamma response/ shadow detail.

·
Registered
255 Posts
As a lurker til now on this thread i'll second that. :D

Having played a little with the X12000/HT9050 I'm most curious as to how the two compare as, I gotta say, the LED offers a pretty sweet 'cinematic' feel to the image (and just needs a little extra kick in the black level department - for my tastes).

·
Registered
768 Posts
I think Dave may have a winner here. If I had to guess we will get a unit with similar native contrast to the other xpr units, but I think we will see very high ANSI contrast, calibrated lumens over 3,000, P3 color and sequential contrast in the 20k-30k :1 range. Maybe this is wishful thinking but I think this projector is a step change from what we have seen so far.

I really can't wait to see what the calibrated Lumens will be. Anything over 2500 will be a winner for me.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I think Dave may have a winner here. If I had to guess we will get a unit with similar native contrast to the other xpr units, but I think we will see very high ANSI contrast, calibrated lumens over 3,000, P3 color and sequential contrast in the 20k-30k :1 range. Maybe this is wishful thinking but I think this projector is a step change from what we have seen so far.
I need a 2500+ lumens projector with good contrast for my proposed 158" scope screen.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Has anyone seen/heard/confirmed what percentage of 2020 and/or P3 this laser projector is expected to achieve? As the PR material only shows this semi-vague image...

I thought the DLP colour wheel limited colour range to some extent, whereas their LED model offered near 100% P3 coverage??

·
Registered
768 Posts
I will see if I can find the marketing material, but I think Ben Q is marketing 96 % P3 coverage. That sounds possible. The barco simulation units get about 92 % of P3. (Dual lamp, dual color wheel). I imagine laser should do better.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I would love to see that as well, but I would be pleasantly surprised if the LK970 could muster over 3,500:1 sequential contrast without laser dimming. The reason I say that is the literature is somewhat confusing as to whether the LK970 has actual dynamic contrast, laser dimming. From what I understand, the unit seems to have a super white/anti white clipping constant algorithm in place but makes no mention of a true contrast multiplyer via laser dimming. I hope I misunderstood this point.

Regardless, the optics should be a sight to see still. This machine takes into account use for 3D simulation.

I can tell you that the sharpest projector I ever owned was the Benq W7000. While its native contrast was among the poorest in that price range, a dynamic iris helped it reach ultra high contrast status. Unfortunately, that iris apparatus showed signs of pumping and made some kooky chirping noises every time it operated.

I'm hoping the LK970 will be a reference machine when it comes to sharpness, notwithstanding being a shifter chip display. It has a 16 element lens which should produce outstanding detail!!! from that single chip format. Couple that with 2716x1528 native resolution shifted to 3840x2160 and my, oh, my it could be, perception-wise, one of the sharpest consumer projectors ever!!!

The laser algorithm, abundant brightness to provide good perceived contrast, and laser-enabled wider color, should make it all work out beautifully. If there is true dynamic laser dimming, then of course it will be even better contrast.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I think without laser dimming, I would definitely agree with 3500:1. I think that is the big question for this unit. How is the laser controlled ? I am hoping it has some laser dimming. It doesn’t need to be super aggressive, just enough to get the sequential contrast up. Maybe even 10k:1 may look great with the brightness and sharpness of this unit.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I think without laser dimming, I would definitely agree with 3500:1. I think that is the big question for this unit. How is the laser controlled ? I am hoping it has some laser dimming. It doesn’t need to be super aggressive, just enough to get the sequential contrast up. Maybe even 10k:1 may look great with the brightness and sharpness of this unit.
Right. I edited my post above to include that about dynamic laser dimming.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Anybody ever used the Hitachi LP-WU3500, its a WUXGA HLD projector? It puts out 3500 lumens with 30000:1 contrast.

61 - 80 of 2609 Posts