AVS Forum banner

461 - 480 of 811 Posts

·
Banned
6,554 Posts
You definitely deserve a lot of thanks for the hard work youve been doing...

I wish it was really hard work. I just haven’t had the time to invest to qualify as hard work yet. I think @Javs is the one who’s been able to put in most of the hard work compared to me so far.

I hope @woofer gets the LK990 soon to help out here too.

I think I may have a small update to settings as well.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have a question not sure where to ask.

I see LK990 is compared to JVC 4500 with images. I am on preorder wait list for NX7 hopefully right call :p. My screen would be 135" max in light controlled basement (not a bat cave), walls painted dark. Does LK990 supersede NX models or it is just laser to laser comparison ? Just a genuine question.

·
Registered
39 Posts

I see LK990 is compared to JVC 4500 with images. I am on preorder wait list for NX7 hopefully right call :p. My screen would be 135" max in light controlled basement (not a bat cave), walls painted dark. Does LK990 supersede NX models or it is just laser to laser comparison ? Just a genuine question.
this post may help you...
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/3049764-benq-ht9060-lk990-depth-reviews-comparison-thread-26.html#post58046924

from my current research, for a screen >120" if you are going jvc, the nx5 is the better option.

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Banned
6,554 Posts

It depends on what image attributes you’re looking for. If you’re a black level Contrast hound over all else, then of course the JVC. If you love a bright, sharp, detailed, three dimensional, colorfully bright, high ANSI pop with almost every other image trait above black, then pick the LK.

·
Registered
28,796 Posts
It depends on what image attributes you’re looking for. If you’re a black level Contrast hound over all else, then of course the JVC. If you love a bright, sharp, detailed, three dimensional, colorfully bright, high ANSI pop with almost every other image trait above black, then pick the LK.
You talk about people putting in little digs, but you also do the same. Example in bold above.

·
Registered
18,140 Posts
Interesting. I've got three sources (DTV; UB820; Shield) running into my Marantz SR7012 and then from that to the LK. The run (I'm using a Ruipro fiber cable) is about 60 feet from Marantz to PJ and runs under floors, behind walls etc. I've had no problems. The only time I saw something similar to what you and Desert Pilot are describing was when I had a second, short HDMI cable running from the Marantz HDMI Out No. 2 to an older monitor that was not HDMI 2.0 compliant. I saw the same on/off problem on both the PJ and monitor. When I disconnected the monitor, no issue. I assumed it was a handshake/compatibility issue. I've not tried connecting my HTPC to the Marantz (It's older and not designed to run MadVR).

I'll be curious to learn if you're able to get the Radiance Pro squared away.
I had my Sony VW600 and JVC RS600 connected to my Denon receiver once, and prior to that I think I tried connecting my Sim Lumis Host and Sony VW600 to the Denon at the same time. Having a 4k and a 1080p display both connected at the same time caused nothing but HDMI problems. It did work having them both connected to an HD Fury instead of the receiver. 4K and 1080p displays both being connected just didn't play well together. Now I have one 4K projector connected to the Lumagen - no issues !

·
Registered
1,605 Posts

Dave, I’m far from a contrast hound, in fact I’ve been a DLP guy for18 Year’s coming from infocus 777. Just about every year I would try the new jvc, Sony or epson and it was always the same thing for me the contrast was better on the the others but DLP killed them in every other way, I was shocked at how good the nx5 is very sharp(compared to previous jvc) calm picture better sync times and the image noise is significantly better. It’s provides a very nice image.

I’m still a DLP guy lol and I’m so glad to see DLP advance the way they have in the past few years, everyone kept saying DLP was dead! Not!! and it’s only gonna get better...

I’m sure you will see the new jvc’s at some point, I’d imagine you will see the difference too.

Bob

·
Banned
6,554 Posts
You talk about people putting in little digs, but you also do the same. Example in bold above.

How is that a dig? That’s just a preference someone likes more than something else. Like markmon putting large preference on blacks and native contrast. I respect that because I personally made the opposite choice this time to choose the other image attributes over blacks and very low native.

If you called me an HDR sharpness, detail, dimensionality and “pop” hound, I’d take that as a compliment!

You forgot that women just love a man who owns an LK and it's also good financial investment. :D

Dang that’s right, I’ll have to update my list!

........I’m sure you will see the new jvc’s at some point, I’d imagine you will see the difference too.

Bob

Oh I see a difference with the old JVCs too. I never said I don’t love great blacks and contrast. I have only said that when combined with all the other image attributes on the LKs, I like that better overall. If I could have both like with the top dog Christie, oh man I’d be salivating all over myself haha!

·
Registered
28,796 Posts
How is that a dig? That’s just a preference someone likes more than something else. Like markmon putting large preference on blacks and native contrast. I respect that because I personally made the opposite choice this time to choose the other image attributes over blacks and very low native.

If you called me an HDR sharpness, detail, dimensionality and “pop” hound, I’d take that as a compliment!

Dang that’s right, I’ll have to update my list!

Oh I see a difference with the old JVCs too. I never said I don’t love great blacks and contrast. I have only said that when combined with all the other image attributes on the LKs, I like that better overall. If I could have both like with the top dog Christie, oh man I’d be salivating all over myself haha!
That is part of the problem. You do not see that as a dig and the other side does not see their comment as a dig.

·
Registered
197 Posts
That is part of the problem. You do not see that as a dig and the other side does not see their comment as a dig.
Despite being a BenQ LK990 Owners thread, the JVC guys just can't seem to stay away. Quite a bit of JVC banter and some snark. I didn't consider it a dig, but, if it were or you consider it a dig, then you chuckle internally and let it go because this has nothing to do with sides, or turf, or anything else other than BenQ LK990 owners.

That being said I am not an owner, yet, but the projector appears to possibly fit my needs and I for one appreciate the discussions about the actual projector and its performance. Thank you to all who are providing valuable data on this BenQ projector. When I need extensive JVC information I did notice threads dedicated to those projectors.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,424 Posts
Despite being a BenQ LK990 Owners thread, the JVC guys just can't seem to stay away. Quite a bit of JVC banter and some snark. I didn't consider it a dig, but, if it were or you consider it a dig, then you chuckle internally and let it go because this has nothing to do with sides, or turf, or anything else other than BenQ LK990 owners.

That being said I am not an owner, yet, but the projector appears to possibly fit my needs and I for one appreciate the discussions about the actual projector and its performance. Thank you to all who are providing valuable data on this BenQ projector. When I need extensive JVC information I did notice threads dedicated to those projectors.
So when someone comes in here and ask something like "I have a 185" screen and am probably getting a JVC NX5, but am considering an LK990, what are the comparisons?" you say what? Sorry I can only answer half this go to another thread for the other half? Geez.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,424 Posts
The reason this sounds like a dig, is because the way it's worded. It insinuates that the black levels on the LK990 are perfectly fine. Only those super picky black hounds on certain scenes would even notice. This is far from the truth and not the right message, in my opinion.

You don't have to be a black 'hound' to decide what is an acceptable black / contrast performance limit for yourself. The LK990 blacks will not be acceptable for many folks. Also, it will be acceptable for many folks. But its definitely not just a few black hounds that will find it too grey.

I'll admit I'm a somewhat unique case because I find all Sony's far too grey for me to enjoy. I'm not alone on that also.

·
Registered
197 Posts
So when someone comes in here and ask something like "I have a 185" screen and am probably getting a JVC NX5, but am considering an LK990, what are the comparisons?" you say what? Sorry I can only answer half this go to another thread for the other half? Geez.
I'd probably direct them to the thread where the person is searching for a projector for a 180" screen and is seriously considering a NX5. Where they would find the following quote :):
I'm a big fan of JVC projectors especially for their black levels. But for your screen size, I'd be going LK970 or LK990. The contrast levels won't be nearly as good as what you get on JVC, but those JVC and that Sony (which is dimmer than JVC even) won't do the job of lighting that size screen at all. My friend has had an RS500 on his 186" screen and it was ok but not great. He just upgraded to an LK970 and is quite thrilled.

Based on the feedback between LK970 and LK990, it's not clear but the 970 may be a better deal if you can find one. Sounds like the 990 has some sort of "brilliant color" mode that can't be disabled without losing 60% of the rated lumens and the 970 does not have this problem.

·
Registered
28,796 Posts

I currently own four different brands of projectors. Three of which are DLP's. DLP will be bringing out a new native 4K chip with a little more than twice the native contrast of the XPR chip. I consider that a step in the right direction.

·
Banned
6,554 Posts

Oh, so now calling someone “no good” is the same as agreeing with someone who has a certain image preference?

The reason this sounds like a dig, is because the way it's worded. It insinuates that the black levels on the LK990 are perfectly fine. Only those super picky black hounds on certain scenes would even notice. This is far from the truth and not the right message, in my opinion.

You don't have to be a black 'hound' to decide what is an acceptable black / contrast performance limit for yourself. The LK990 blacks will not be acceptable for many folks. Also, it will be acceptable for many folks. But its definitely not just a few black hounds that will find it too grey.

I'll admit I'm a somewhat unique case because I find all Sony's far too grey for me to enjoy. I'm not alone on that also.

They are perfectly fine, to a great many people, especially when all the other image attributes are taken into consideration and it’s looked at as a whole rather than just one particular area. Just because you personally don’t like them doesn’t make them any less “perfectly fine” for just as many others, including myself.

Plus, you can’t even translate the blacks from the LK970 you saw (without my settings btw) over to the LK990. SmartEco greatly improves them.

How is saying the blacks on the JVCs are superior “insinuating” the ones on the LK990 at fine? That makes no sense whatsoever.

·
Registered
28,796 Posts
Oh, so now calling someone “no good” is the same as agreeing with someone who has a certain image preference?

They are perfectly fine, to a great many people, especially when all the other image attributes are taken into consideration and it’s looked at as a whole rather than just one particular area. Just because you personally don’t like them doesn’t make them any less “perfectly fine” for just as many others, including myself.

Plus, you can’t even translate the blacks from the LK970 you saw (without my settings btw) over to the LK990. SmartEco greatly improves them.

How is saying the blacks on the JVCs are superior “insinuating” the ones on the LK990 at fine? That makes no sense whatsoever.
Except Javs did not call you no good. He was talking about figuring out a projector's capability after 50 hours of rigorous testing. Javs did not say you fit that description, he just disagreed that it takes months to figure out a projector.

461 - 480 of 811 Posts