AVS Forum banner

541 - 560 of 811 Posts

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
QFT and bolded and underlined the most important part imo lol.

Also I cannot wait to pick your brain for help with setting up my MadVr once i have the projector up and hanging (this projector is a BEAST I cannot wait to see my HT guys face when he sees how big the thing I am trying to hang from my ceiling is lmao)!

Try this:

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,435 Posts
It is definitely not misinformation. Have you seen his projector in his room ? He is not qualifying his unit vs any other just his perception of what he sees in his room. Although one may think it;everybody doesn’t have a contrast optimized room or may even want one. This forum has all types.
Thats all true, but then you cannot describe those blacks as "inky". In the environment you describe, the correct description is "bright grey". Calling "bright grey" "inky" is misinformation by definition.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,435 Posts
You’re the one telling me that I’m wrong, even though you never once tried my settings or considered the things I was trying to convey to you so we could work on this model together as a team to get the most out of it. I’m not saying you’re wrong as much as how can you even judge them if you haven’t even tried them?

It seems every person that was a naysayer (dare I say, “JVC Guy”) who decided to try one of these seems to have done it on the basis of just proving me and everyone who owns and likes one wrong, rather than the goal of getting the most out of it and seeing what it could really do. That’s the travesty of it all.

The only reason I keep fighting you all on it is because I know for a fact it’s not as bad as you’re saying from many months and hours tweaking and figuring out how it reacts in certain situations. This is no different than you guys having JVCs for so long and knowing them in and out and “correcting” anyone who says something you know to be false. Why am I not afforded the same latitude? I have more years and experience in this business than almost every one of you, some of you combined. I think my opinion should at least have some value here and afforded the benefit of the doubt to at least try it and listen to my feedback if it seems something isn’t quite right. Show me a history of me being an ignorant buffoon when it comes to projectors and video like I’m made out to be here, please. I’d love to see it. All I ever did over the past 30+ years was earn people’s respect after every setup and calibration I’d done and won awards at CEDIA and CES with TAW. This business is much more than just numbers and specs on paper and I have proven that time and time again to many, many people........in person!

What’s their story?
Dave, you keep accusing some of us (including me) of not trying your settings. Yet I bought your projector and used it as it came. Those were your settings. I told you before you shipped it that I'd be using madVR so make sure the SDR settings are ready to go. You did the best you could. Further, no gamma changes will impact the black floor. Gamma doesn't change true black. The black floor is the black floor.

Now if you think your settings means sending straight HDR and using your curve, then I'm telling you (as are others) that your curve is inferior to madVR's dynamic tone mapping. So continuing to argue that somehow your settings are better than madVR's tone mapping is just a non starter.

Finally, I think the real difference is that you just dont appreciate good black performance like javs or me. So while we are looking at the same thing, you just perceive it as fine. I'm 100% convinced of this one. I think it'll be impossible to prove it untrue without meeting in person.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Why would he describe it as bright grey if that is not what he sees ? All projectors if physically putting light on the screen can not be true black by definition. They are all shades of grey. The perception of black depends a lot on the surrounding environment.

It is definitely not misinformation. Have you seen his projector in his room ? He is not qualifying his unit vs any other just his perception of what he sees in his room. Although one may think it;everybody doesn’t have a contrast optimized room or may even want one. This forum has all types.
Thats all true, but then you cannot describe those blacks as "inky". In the environment you describe, the correct description is "bright grey". Calling "bright grey" "inky" is misinformation by definition.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Try this:

Will definitely try these settings out, am screenshotting them.

Also, I know someone else had the same issue with Netflix, but I was playing with the 990 a bit again last night, and was getting posterization, and I was really concerned and worried... but last night as I was lieing in bed, I remember someone else on here had the same issue with Netflix?

Gonna try hooking up my Panasonic 820 and use a high quality HDMI tonight, to see if that eliminates it as it did for other people. I dont think @Javs reported any banding issues or posterization so it must just be the netflix feed quality problem.

Also was curious if anyone checked their 990's firmware? Mine is brand new fresh off the boat, is only Firmware 1.0.0.

·
Registered
765 Posts
There have been some reports of banding and posterization on the units. I would definitely check a couple of different sources and inputs to see if it is isolated to a source or cable vs. the unit.

Try this:

Will definitely try these settings out, am screenshotting them.

Also, I know someone else had the same issue with Netflix, but I was playing with the 990 a bit again last night, and was getting posterization, and I was really concerned and worried... but last night as I was lieing in bed, I remember someone else on here had the same issue with Netflix?

Gonna try hooking up my Panasonic 820 and use a high quality HDMI tonight, to see if that eliminates it as it did for other people. I dont think @Javs reported any banding issues or posterization so it must just be the netflix feed quality problem.

Also was curious if anyone checked their 990's firmware? Mine is brand new fresh off the boat, is only Firmware 1.0.0.

·
Registered
340 Posts
There have been some reports of banding and posterization on the units. I would definitely check a couple of different sources and inputs to see if it is isolated to a source or cable vs. the unit.
Ya. last night I was trying to watch a netflix stream, and was using an hdmi cable that is over 5 years old, so will def try it with a better input and a better hdmi tonight before I say I for sure have a bad unit.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Well.. turns out I am part of the 5% that is sensitive to RBE I guess =/.

Tried testing the 990 a bit more tonight, and anytime there was something like a lamp in a dark room, or white subtitles, or even something chrome with light hitting it, I could see the RBE and found it distracting enough, that I know I could never be 100% happy with the purchase. It would just be one of those things that would forever be enough to annoy me to make me unhappy.

Not sure where I go from here in terms of projector choice. I still am trying to light up a 150" scope screen, roughly 140" wide. I might even end up trying out a 5050/6050 until I can find a projector I am 100% satisfied with in terms of value/performance.

The better source/hdmi seemed to help the posterization/clipping (not sure if Im using this term right, but it seemed to only affect dark scenes/shadows on faces for me).

Totally bummed out, but had to find out if I was RBE sensitive or not. If not for the RBE I would probably be keeping it.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts

Tried testing the 990 a bit more tonight, and anytime there was something like a lamp in a dark room, or white subtitles, or even something chrome with light hitting it, I could see the RBE and found it distracting enough, that I know I could never be 100% happy with the purchase. It would just be one of those things that would forever be enough to annoy me to make me unhappy.

Not sure where I go from here in terms of projector choice. I still am trying to light up a 150" scope screen, roughly 140" wide. I might even end up trying out a 5050/6050 until I can find a projector I am 100% satisfied with in terms of value/performance.

The better source/hdmi seemed to help the posterization/clipping (not sure if Im using this term right, but it seemed to only affect dark scenes/shadows on faces for me).

Totally bummed out, but had to find out if I was RBE sensitive or not. If not for the RBE I would probably be keeping it.
Why not try HT9060? Very bright.and stays bright due to LEDs, no rbe due to super fast cycling.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Why not try HT9060? Very bright.and stays bright due to LEDs, no rbe due to super fast cycling.
Idk if it has enough lumens. Screen is also .8 gain which i forgot to mention in previous post.

Went back downstairs and spent another 40 minutes going through Black Panthers dark scenes, trying to recreate the banding issues I had yesterday, and was unable to reproduce those, so the problem was the netflix feed/cable. Hooked up the ub820 with a disk and a higher quality HDMI I could not recreate the issue.

If I wasnt affected by RBE, this projector would be staying. IMO the Black Panther movie is a pretty decent stress test for dark scenes... it starts in a black sky with stars fading in (?) then you get the poorly lit apartment, then you get the fight in the jungle again super dark.

I found the black performance perfectly acceptable for what thats worth to anyone. Its not the best, but definitely wasnt pulling me out of the movie, but the RBE was sadly.

·
Registered
8,454 Posts

Bummer. Unfortunately when I turned on mine it was quite literally the very first thing I saw and it was a truly giant rainbow.

I also feel like it all just kinda gives me a headache over time as if I am watching a 3d presentation.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Sorry. RBE is definitely a non-starter. Maybe the Epson 6050 from a value standpoint maybe a good option. It may be bright enough at least starting out. I imagine you will need about 2500 lumens.

·
Registered
511 Posts

Humor me... go with an NX7 and an anamorphic lens. At least try it.

I've seen an NX9 lighting up a 4.5m wide screen (which is way larger) and it was fine. You wont get to HDR but if you hook it up to MadVR you wont miss it as much as you expect.

I think this gets you an image you love for quite low money.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Bummer. Unfortunately when I turned on mine it was quite literally the very first thing I saw and it was a truly giant rainbow.

I also feel like it all just kinda gives me a headache over time as if I am watching a 3d presentation.
Ya, the RBE has the same effect for me

·
Registered
969 Posts
Humor me... go with an NX7 and an anamorphic lens. At least try it.

I've seen an NX9 lighting up a 4.5m wide screen (which is way larger) and it was fine. You wont get to HDR but if you hook it up to MadVR you wont miss it as much as you expect.

I think this gets you an image you love for quite low money.
Just to clarify the NX7 does HDR, it may not be as bright. I have the same setup on a 120" screen and actually using the filter and closing down the IRis 3 and still over 30FL. But I have a Stewart screen and 1.3 gain. Personally I would switch out the screen and start buying pieces as you can afford them. DCR lens will last a lot of projectors and years.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just to clarify the NX7 does HDR, it may not be as bright. I have the same setup on a 120" screen and actually using the filter and closing down the IRis 3 and still over 30FL. But I have a Stewart screen and 1.3 gain. Personally I would switch out the screen and start buying pieces as you can afford them. DCR lens will last a lot of projectors and years.
I just dont think the Nx7 will give me enough light to make me happy with my screen. And my Dreamscreen V6 150" scope screen (.8 gain) is brand new, and I am not took keen to lose money selling a brand new screen.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ya, the RBE has the same effect for me

Sorry to read that you are sensitive to RBE.
I am just curious - was your LK990 ceiling mounted during testing?

As I got my first unit I did also some testing with the LK990 on a shelf.
I played Pacific Rim and could also see annoying RBE - it was very distracting e. g. in this scene (RBE in lights and subtitles)

and here...

As I received my second and good unit and after it was ceiling mounted, the worse RBE was nearly gone.

So I do not know for sure if it was the bad unit or the placement (including very much lens shift) that caused the bad RBE.

I do not say the RBE is completely gone with my LK but it is not an issue now for me or others that have had spend time with it.

On the other hand I can understand if you are not willing to keep your BenQ if the RBE is that worse and is causing headaches.

Hope you will find a good solution soon!

For all other LK990 owners I would like to share my settings for HDR.
Seems my LK990 performs very well with a 1.8 gamma. Using HDR and madvr only!
With my settings I am getting some real nice HDR Colors:

Settings:

Nvidia PC settings: 3840 x2140 @ 23 hz

madVR

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sorry to read that you are sensitive to RBE.
I am just curious - was your LK990 ceiling mounted during testing?

As I got my first unit I did also some testing with the LK990 on a shelf.
I played Pacific Rim and could also see annoying RBE - it was very distracting e. g. in this scene (RBE in lights and subtitles)

and here...

As I received my second and good unit and after it was ceiling mounted, the worse RBE was nearly gone.

So I do not know for sure if it was the bad unit or the placement (including very much lens shift) that caused the bad RBE.

I do not say the RBE is completely gone with my LK but it is not an issue now for me or others that have had spend time with it.

On the other hand I can understand if you are not willing to keep your BenQ if the RBE is that worse and is causing headaches.

Hope you will find a good solution soon!

For all other LK990 owners I would like to share my settings for HDR.
Seems my LK990 performs very well with a 1.8 gamma. Using HDR and madvr only!
With my settings I am getting some real nice HDR Colors:

Settings:

Nvidia PC settings: 3840 x2140 @ 23 hz

madVR

Right now it is sitting on a table basically, and it does have the lens shift pushed as far as it would go, so I will try reducing the shift tonight, and see how it affects the RBE for me. The place I bought it from has a 10 day return policy, and I am on day 11 with the machine, so I am not even sure if they are going to work with me on returning the unit.

Also could you check what Firmware yours is? Mine is 1.0.0.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Right now it is sitting on a table basically, and it does have the lens shift pushed as far as it would go, so I will try reducing the shift tonight, and see how it affects the RBE for me. The place I bought it from has a 10 day return policy, and I am on day 11 with the machine, so I am not even sure if they are going to work with me on returning the unit.

Also could you check what Firmware yours is? Mine is 1.0.0.
My unit does have also Firmware 1.0.0.

Did you check your unit playing test patterns?
With my old LK990 only ONE! test pattern did clearly show that the unit was broken.

It was the gray ramp pattern. My broken unit did show a cyan color with it. So I had banding and some other issues with flesh tones.

Here on the avs forum (I think at the calibration section) should be a link for download.

Attachments

541 - 560 of 811 Posts