AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to see if anyone has had any experience with either the BenQ MH740 or Optoma EH500 especially when it comes to the PQ. I am trying to build a backyard setup with a 220" screen which would only be used from sunset on.

I am aware that both are business class projectors but from the reviews on Amazon it seems that they are being used for home use with success. My budget (around $1,000) does not seem to allow for a HT Projector that would work outdoor on a 220" screen.

The EH500 has 4700 lumens, uses a DC2 chip, ~$1,300

The MH740 has 4000 lumens, uses a DC3 chip, has more Zoom and Key Stone Correction ~$1,000

Not sure if the DC3 chip will make a difference in a backyard setup since there will be some light. (Moon, Fire Pit, Tiki Torches, etc).

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I vote for the MH740. It's the same as the HC1200 (which has been reviewed to have W1070 good color), except the wheel has a wider white strip for more brightness if need be. Likely the 3D is superior to the Epson.

I suspect that the MH740 is very close to the W1070 in PQ when placed in Eco mode. It also has a nice zoom range compared to the entry-level W1070, which will be useful outdoors. Plus, don't forget that 3-year "business class" warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I vote for the MH740. It's the same as the HC1200 (which has been reviewed to have W1070 good color), except the wheel has a wider white strip for more brightness if need be. Likely the 3D is superior to the Epson.

I suspect that the MH740 is very close to the W1070 in PQ when placed in Eco mode. It also has a nice zoom range compared to the entry-level W1070, which will be useful outdoors. Plus, don't forget that 3-year "business class" warranty.
Thanks for the response. I've looked at the HC1200 but the lumens seem to not be enough for a outdoor setup, but after reading the product sheet I found something I don't fully understand:

"The HC1200’s 2,800 sRGB lumens has the ability to subtlety differentiate between
difficult to reproduce colors enabling the projector to deliver a more accurate image
that appears brighter than a typical 4,000 lumen conference room projector1"

Does this mean that the HC1200 has enough brightness to be used on a 200" screen?

I did also come across another almost identical PJ to the MH740 which also has 4000 lumens, the SH915, are 1 of these a better options for watching movies outdoor?

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I am at a loss to explain the difference between the MH740 and SH915. Maybe a microphone input for lecture halls?

Projector Central has a review of the HC1200 and compares it with the "reference" W1070.

I do know that all three projectors have the same case, same lens, and same bulb. I am at a loss to explain the difference between the MH740 and SH915.

I think that the text you quoted from the Features sheet for the HC1200, when read between the lines, is an attempt to subtly distinguish the HC1200's more accurate color from the MH740. Which I interpret to mean, since they have the same bulb and lens, the MH740 has more white segments in its color wheel (typical of higher-lumen business projectors) which can project a brighter image but with less color saturation (accuracy). If you use Eco mode on the MH740, I suspect that it tones down the use of the white segments to approach the truer colors of the HC1200.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
I am at a loss to explain the difference between the MH740 and SH915. Maybe a microphone input for lecture halls?

Projector Central has a review of the HC1200 and compares it with the "reference" W1070.

I do know that all three projectors have the same case, same lens, and same bulb. I am at a loss to explain the difference between the MH740 and SH915.

I think that the text you quoted from the Features sheet for the HC1200, when read between the lines, is an attempt to subtly distinguish the HC1200's more accurate color from the MH740. Which I interpret to mean, since they have the same bulb and lens, the MH740 has more white segments in its color wheel (typical of higher-lumen business projectors) which can project a brighter image but with less color saturation (accuracy). If you use Eco mode on the MH740, I suspect that it tones down the use of the white segments to approach the truer colors of the HC1200.
So I'm wondering would the MH740 come close to the color accuracy of the HC1200 in eco mode but with more brightness?

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Eco mode does nothing for the 740's color-accuracy..it just lowers overall brightness.
You turn Brilliantcolor OFF to make the projector stop using the white wheel segment.
Because the 840/940 white segment takes up space that would otherwise be used by RGB, it will always have weaker colors than an an RGB version. You can lower its whites to match, but you can't raise the colors to match the bright whites, so it'll always be low brightness when calibrated (around 1000-1200lumens).
Calibrated eco-mode will be about 700-900lumens.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Eco mode does nothing for the 740's color-accuracy..it just lowers overall brightness.
You turn Brilliantcolor OFF to make the projector stop using the white wheel segment.
Because the 840/940 white segment takes up space that would otherwise be used by RGB, it will always have weaker colors than an an RGB version. You can lower its whites to match, but you can't raise the colors to match the bright whites, so it'll always be low brightness when calibrated (around 1000-1200lumens).
Calibrated eco-mode will be about 700-900lumens.
Thank you very much for the explanation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts