AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mate has purchased a PB2220 Benq mainly to do large 4m x 3m outdoor screen presentations but also for home use.

However it seems to have some damn horrible artifacts which perhaps relate to poor deinterlacing?

An example is say bright red lights on a space craft thingy in Phantom Menace will have VERY noticable horizontal lines/bars thru it.

Similar happens on high contrasting colour edges of objects, its worse with movement but still exists when there is no movement.

Some may know if this is a "common" thing with Benq units or perhaps its faulty?

Happens with Component, and with SVideo, from Digital TV box and from DVD player.

As far as its PQ goes, well, im use to my X1, yeah only an X1 but X1 plus HTPC + FFDShow + Dscaler filters seems to take down MUCH higher gear (if not viewed to close) with conventional settop DVD players etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If this is a deinterlacing problem, have your friend bring his projector over to your place and hook it up to your HTPC. Then you will know for sure if it a source/deinterlacing problem. From what I've read, the X1 has a superior deinterlacer. I have a BenQ 7100 that I run from my laptop and it seems to work well without any artifacts. Composite is much lower quality than the VGA connection.

Trevdog

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ahhh its actually a 7220... i was wrong :) but i guess its still similar

his coming round soon to see the difference.

Could it also be a "scaling" issue? Though i'd think PAL should not need to scale for these? Ie is 1024 x 768 res, 1024 x 576 with 16:9 source, and pal is 576 lines. Though it could be vertical scaling, which would explain vertical lines... ahh who knows.... find out soon

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE:

Tested the PB7220 on my HTPC.

NON of the mentioned artifacts where present, which leads me to believe the units "video" ablity (ie PAL etc) is pathetic.

PQ was actually quite good once we put and ND4 filter on the front to cut the light canon down.

Some A/Bing against my X1, damn close with HTPC as source. While the Benq was 1024 x 576 in 16:9 res and X1 800 x 450 the detail was on par at 2 x screen width viewing distance (86inch screen at 3.8metres)

The benq has a little more "punch" or "dynamics' within a seen, though with 1400hrs on the X1 and damaged bulb reflector im not sure i this comes into play.

The benq has some little "crawlies" on bright/white areas of the seens, though MUCH improved when a ND2 is used.

Colours, very close between the two.

All in all still happy as ever wif ole faithful X1, proving it can still cut the mustard even against higher $ and res/spec machines.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.