AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on the verge of buying the BenQ PB6100 Projector and need some assistance.

Here are the specifics:

Den size is 18' x 16' with 8' ceiling height.

I will be ceiling mounting my projector at a distance of 14' from the screen.

I will be seated @ a minimum of 9' (recliner) up to 13' (Sofa & Love Seat) from the screen.

Sources of viewing:

Philips Progressive Scan DVD Player (Component)

Sony SAT-55 DirecTV receiver (S-Video)

PC (I have an AIW 7500 video card) I have an IoGear KVM switch

I need someone to assist me with the following questions:

1. What is the optimal size screen I should have at this distance for 16 x 9? According to the projection calculator on projectorcentral.com it shows 77" diag (67" x 38"). I'm not sure if this is a fixed size or can I adjust it smaller/larger?
  2. What is the drop of this projector and how do I figure the distance from ceiling I need to mount? I will be constructing a DIY mount & screen.
  3. Is there a Component to VESA Adapter for this projector as there is for the InFocus X1? Where whould I find such an adapter?
  4. What kind of quality can I expect from each of my viewing sources?
  5. In my Sony Sat manual it refers to a menu setting for 4x3 or 16x9 display. It states that 16x9 is only if available by my service provider. DirecTV does offer 16x9 via standard NON-HDTV receiver, correct?
  6. Is there an on-line manual for this projector? I could not find one on the BenQ web site.[/list=1]

I thank you VERY much for any replies and assistance! I apologize if the questions seem ignorant.

I am about to purchase my 1st projector and have gone back and forth between the InFocus X1 & the BenQ PB6100. I think that the higher lumen rating and 3x color wheel will benefit me. Of course the $100 rebate will help! ;)

I just need some guidance. I've read every X1 & PB6100 thread I could find and am suffering from info-overload!

Sonicflood

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm in the same boat! I've just bought a PB6100 as well.... I don't have many answers for you, you might want to try projectorcentral.com or projectorpeople.com (you probably have been there already).

What kind of DIY projector mount are you going to use? DIY screen? Maybe we can put our brains together on this one... I want to try and make both ....

Howie

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sonicflood
According to the projection calculator on projectorcentral.com it shows 77" diag (67" x 38"). I'm not sure if this is a fixed size or can I adjust it smaller/larger?

If you go back to Projectorcentral.com, you will notice there is a vertical blue bar with a scroll bar next to it. That represents the zoom built into the 6100. You can adjust it up and down to see what the max and min screen size you can get from 14'. While this figure isn't exact (it varies from projector to projector, it will give you a ball park figure.

Quote:

What is the drop of this projector and how do I figure the distance from ceiling I need to mount? I will be constructing a DIY mount & screen.
My 6100 is ceiling mounted at 13' and has a drop of about 12". You will want to experiment before permanently mounting, but I think you will likely get 14-18" of drop at 14'.

Quote:

In my Sony Sat manual it refers to a menu setting for 4x3 or 16x9 display. It states that 16x9 is only if available by my service provider. DirecTV does offer 16x9 via standard NON-HDTV receiver, correct?
It is my understanding that DirecTV has only broadcast a handful of programs in 16x9. As a general rule, ALL DirecTV programming is only available 4x3, regardless of whay you set your reciever to.

Quote:

Is there an on-line manual for this projector? I could not find one on the BenQ web site.
I don't believe that BenQ has a manual online yet, but I have put one on my website. You can download it at: http://www.tnedstats.com/PB6100-e.zip

Hope that helps.

Billy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.