AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kind of a newbie, and I'm looking for a sub $1K projector with HD compatibility. I've read great reviews of the BenQ PB6100 from this website, but I was wondering if there are any other ideas out there. My projecting distance will be about 10 - 15 feet and this will be my primary TV for HD programming, DVD's, and HiDef Xbox action. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I believe somebody will correct me if I am wrong but I think that the Infocus X1 and the BenQ PB6100 and the dell 2200mp are the only sub $1000 projectors. There might be some LCD's but those are the only or at least the most popular DLP's.

Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
awesome. thanks! one more thing. can anyone clarify to me the difference of an 800x600 native res which is HD compatible vs. a higher native res which is also HD compatible. Does the picture look better at all? My understanding is that a HiDef picture is pretty much 800x600 progressive.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have not scene a projector that is HD. However I know it will look better if they are both use the same technology (By that I mean current).

800 X 600 is great for DVD's as DVD's are 480P they also do a good job of scalinge HD to use the projectors max resoluion.

However 1024 x 768 is better for HD because HD is 720P or 1080i so the actual resolution of HD is much larger.

anyway you get the point about the difference between DVD and HD.

hope this helps.

This link will show you the difference between DVD and HD for resolution. It made it much easier to understand how much better HD can look.

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/HDTV.html

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vgranada
can anyone clarify to me the difference of an 800x600 native res which is HD compatible vs. a higher native res which is also HD compatible. Does the picture look better at all? My understanding is that a HiDef picture is pretty much 800x600 progressive.
HD is 720p or 1080i

DVD is 480p

Any 16 by 9 image (DVD or HD) will be scaled down to 480p on an 800 by 600 projector and 540p on an 1024 x 768 projector.

So while the 6100 can accept a HD signal, it will project at DVD quality (not a terrible thing)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.