AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been a few threads about these two projectors, but I couldn't find a post with the same circumstances as me. Basically, this is my situation:

Current room: limited to a 9' throw, decent light control, wall as screen

Future room (moving in July): unknown throw and light control (although I expect a much longer throw will be possible), looking to do DIY screen (probably blackout cloth)

I've never owned a front projector and haven't been able to view either of the BenQ's in Manhattan (and because the 6200 isn't out yet). I have seen a variety of other projectors and like DLP more than LCD (I don't see rainbows).

My viewing habits are probably going to be: 50% standard TV, 30% DVD's, 15% HDTV, and 5% XBox. In all, I expect use to be around 30 hours a week. I care most about DVD viewing even though it won't be the majority of my time spent.

I don't want to break the bank, but have generally decided on the PB6200 with free bulb over the PB6100 with the $100 rebate. I know the 6200 isn't out yet, but want to make a firm decision before the rebates expire (although I've heard the 6200 rebate may be extended).

Basically, I have decided that the extra resolution and throw flexibility of the 6200 are worth the extra money even though I will be buying it sight unseen.

Because I'm new to all this, I wanted to see if my thinking makes sense and/or if I've left something out. I'm a bit disappointed in the limited inputs of both projectors, but wonder if a DVI input (which would also require a new DVD player) or direct component input is worth the extra cash. Nonetheless, I just think the 6200 is an incredible value at its pricepoint and fits most of my needs pretty well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I read somewhere that the 6200 free bulb offer will be extended to March 31st. I cannot give you any comment/suggestion since I am new to the digital projector myself, though, I own a NEC 6PG Extra CRT.

·
Registered
317 Posts
depending on the DLP models you've seen, rainbows may indeed be a problem for you.

From what I understand, this is not a fast color wheel machine, so if you've seen other DLP machines with fast color wheels and didn't have a problem with them...it doesn't mean that you won't have a problem with this one.

Better to be on the safe side than pay a big restocking fee or be forced wo deal with rainbows/eyestrain.

Jason

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The DLPs I have viewed are all 2x color wheels (X1 being the one I've seen the most). I believe the 6100 and 6200 both have 3x wheels (although one salesman did try to tell me that the 6200 has a 4x wheel). I figure if the X1 doesn't bother me, then neither of these will - am I wrong there?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. Almost exactly!

I will be sitting pretty close to the screen, so that's why I'm going XGA I believe. I just hope that it is going to be fine.

I'm not 100% set on the 6200, but I might still go for the 6100 if I hear bad things about the 6200. Some other, higher priced projectors might do better, but 1599 is about the highest I can possibly go.

But is the XGA an improvement over the SVGA for DVD viewing, which is what mine will primarily be used for? I live in the middle of nowhere Kansas and HDTV is not an option for me at the moment, and I don't want to pay through the nose for a whopping five HDTV channels via satellite.....yay.....

·
Registered
916 Posts
I just ordered the 6100 yesterday and should have it in the next week or so depending on availability.

I am building a theater and wont need my final projector for a year or so. Therefor I decided to buy the cheapest projector I could find now to play with it and then keep it for a spare, loaner and out side function projector. I did a demo of the Mitsu. xd300 u here at home and have access to it at work on a Da-lite screen. I plan on taking it up there at nite and playing some DVD material back to back and see what the main differences are as well as some screen shots.

I thought the Mitsu with its xga relolution was great and HDTV looked awsome on it. I will let you guys know what I think HDTV looks like on this projector compared to the Mitsu.

The 6100 is 1500 lumens

xd200u is 2000

The xd300u is also xga and the 6100 is svga so it will make an interesting comparison. Both are also 2000:1 contrast.

I will post these results later this month or earlier depending on when I can pull it off.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
If you watch that much SDTV, you might consider the X1 as it has a DCDi deinterlacer that will make SDTV look better.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it came down to it, I think it is a hard choice between the 6100 and the X1. I like the faster color wheel if only to decrease the risk that guests will see rainbows, but I also think the X1 deinterlacer has a lot of benefits. Either way, though, I don't think I want to give up the XGA resolution of the 6200.

I've had trouble figuring out some of the resolution issues related to 4:3 XGA v. budget 16:9. How much resolution is lost with HDTV and DVDs (is any lost with DVD's?)? Since there aren't really budget 16:9 DLP's that I know of, I was inclined to go with the 4:3 XGA, but I was wondering how much I'm giving up by doing that.

Thanks again to everyone for the help.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I was VERY interested in the PB6100 until I found out how small its image would be in my room. I put your throw distance of 9' in Projector Central's PJ calculator for the PB6100 using its maximum zoom and the image size is 52' wide, 66" diagonal, and 39" high. Furthermore, the fans in the back require a 19" clearance according to another AVS member. What's confusing about the PB6100 is Benq uses the same spec sheet for both the PB6100 and the PB6200 but they have different zoom ratios. As soon as I found out how narrow the throw of the PB6100 was, I lost interest and began to take a look at the Epson Home 10.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was a little confused by the same spec sheet too. It really makes some of the computations hard.

Can anyone help walk me through the resolution question I have (how much DVD and HDTV resolution is lost by going 4:3 XGA as opposed to 16:9 with lower resolution?)? Thanks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
nosdmi,

you are not losing any with going 4:3 xga

4:3 xga is 1024 by 768 = 786432 pixels

16:9 xga is 1024 by 576 = 589824 pixels

4:3 svga is 800 by 600 = 480000 pixels

16:9 svga is 854 by 480 = 409920 pixels

so even if a native 4:3 xga display is placed in 16:9 format, there is still more resolution than a native 16:9 by svga

does that help?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I wasn't clear. I'm wondering how much I will lose to the black bars on the screen with most DVD's (I don't know what the most common aspect ratio is) and to HDTV. Since I'm essentially accepting a smaller screen with 4:3 when watching DVD's, I'm wondering whether 16:9 may be a better option. I still like the 6200, but want to make sure I'm not missing something. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am also looking at the BenQ PB6200, as well as the Sharp A10X (LCD). I would prefer the DLP, but until I see both of them, I will have to wait and see.

Nosdmi,

As for your question regarding the difference between XGA and SVGA regarding 4:3 and 16:9, Mr. Snifter was right, but could have mentioned one other thing to keep in mind when using a native 4:3 projector in 16:9 mode. When in the 16:9 mode, there will be dark bars above and below the 16:9 picture. These bars represent the unused area of the 4:3 chip. Depending on how you have your screen setup, this will either be noticeable, or not. If you are planning on using a wall/4:3 screen for projecting onto without any sort of masking, then you will most likely see the dark grey border above and below the projected picture.

This was an issue I discovered when talking to two of my friends who both have the X1. They are currently projecting onto a stand up screen, and both have commented on this small issue.

Darren

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One more thing (in addition to my black bar resolution question), can someone PM me if they know the best dealers who are selling the 6200? I've looked around and as a newbie to front projectors, I'm totally unfamiliar with the various vendors. Basically, I'm wondering who has the best return policy (regarding restocking fee) and overall customer service. If you have any suggestions, it would be much appreciated. Thanks again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
From what information is available, I'd think the 6200 would be the best option for you, though they are apparently not available yet. The 6200 has better resolution, brighter display, and a shorter throw than the 6100, at a price premium of about $600 (though the promotional free bulb is worth around $350). Though I love my PB6100, had it been available I probably would have gone with the 6200 myself.

As far as losing any resolution by going 16:9, that's not really an issue with DVD's. On these projectors you leave it set to 4:3 - your DVD player sends a 4:3 image with black bars at the top and bottom anyway. If you're using a 16:9 screen, all you see is the movie on the screen, while the black bars are still projected above and below the screen. Masking these bars with black cloth is definitely helpful.

Also, with the 1024x768 resolution of the PB6200, you have better resolution than a progressive DVD player can support, so no worries there. The 6100 and the Infocus X1 can't quite support the maximum DVD 480p resolution, though they both look gorgeous nonetheless.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Boy it's really a shame they didn't include a DVI port on these models. They look very intruiging otherwise...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.