AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm looking for a budget home theater projector. I already have a good surround sound system so all I need is the projector. Having researched on this forum and other sites I initially was going to go with the X1, but then I the BenQ 6100 caught my eye with its PIP. But then I figured If I spent another $500 or so, the added value depreciated over the life of the unit would be worth it for a substanial upgrade. So now I have another dilemma. I could get the BenQ 6100 with the $100 rebate, or I could get the BenQ 6200 with a Free Replacement Bulb, which is a $400 value making the difference in price between the two options only $300. I would mainly use the projector for XBOX, DVD, and DirecTV, but web browsing would be a plus, so I think the XGA would greatly improve that aspect of it. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
What added features does the 6200 have that make it more expensive? If the answer is not much then be careful you don't want to pay for your free bulb. Why not get the 6100 and put the rebate toward a new bulb wouldn't this work out better? Just curious as I myself have decided on the 6100. I would appreciate any info/thoughts you have.

Edit: sorry just noticed the xga resolution on the 6200 if you have the dough go for it.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
The 6200 uses a different DLP chip which is native XGA (1024 X 768) vs. the 6100's SVGA (800 X 600). Neither one is native 16:9, but you get higher resolution and a 1700 lumen output (vs. the 6100's 1500).

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
You also have to ask yourself if you're still going to have the projector when it's time to replace the bulb. With a lamp life of 3000 hrs (eco mode) and figuring I watch 2 movies per week and ~4hrs of xbox that's about 7 yrs of bulb life. Chances are, in 7 years I'll have a new projector. So basically, the free bulb doesn't help me at all. So it's a question of, is the XGA resolution and 200 lumens brightness worth $700? For me, no.

Russ

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would go for the 6200 because of the XGA resolution which will add 306,432 more pixels in the display than the 6100's SVGA rez. Plus the 6200 is 200 lumens brighter than the 6100. For 600 bucks more I feel its worth it. Especially if you will use an XBox the XGA rez will help support those graphics better than SVGA. If money is tight heres what I would do, sell that replacement lamp on eBay and get about 350 bucks back in your wallet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.