AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a BenQ search on the forum and tuned up some discussion (and a few seemingly satisfied buyers), unfortunately, none has this model.

My desire is for a primarily special event (re: Backyard/Dockside theater/football games) PJ-I already have a Samsung HLM507 RPTV (love DLP!) and because of the massive builtin bookcasing, etc in my family room I really won't make much use of it inside initially.

I'm planning to feed the PJ a combination of DVD and HDTV (and maybe some NTSC) using my about to be replaced PIII-733 that already has a radeon 7200. All I need is a MyHD or similar.

so you'll know, my only experience thus far with PJs was using a work related laptop and an HP hb31 (DLP/XGA, 1500 lumens) to do some backyard theatre earlier this summer. Everyone who saw it was wow'ed beyond belief. when we set this up dockside and showed the movies on a sheet, people could see it from across the marina!

I'm not going to spring for a really "good" higher res PJ, since use will be intermittent, with maybe some business use. Also, while I'm all ready for an X1, the lumens give me pause-I've noticed that there is more light outside in your typical suburban neighborhood than I realized, and at a 10 ft screen width the hb31 seemed a bit dim-hence my desire for as much light output as can be bought, er, cheap.

Based on cursory research, the BenQ PB7100, SVGA, 1800 lumens (trust me, nobody who sees this will care whether its XGA or SVGA-they will either be kids or drinking adults). Since I'll be using an HTPC for all sources, the scaler, deinterlacer, etc. of the X1 would end up being uneeded. But its gotta be bright enough to overcome misc sreetlights thru trees, house lights thru blinds, etc.

I hadn't planned to pull the trigger on this until Xmas-but the $200 rebate (bringing the street to at least $1150) plus the free bulb has gotten me thinking. NOW, NOW, NOW! (I've even disigned a clever stand that would save the PJ/HTPC from running children after reading of a premature PJ death from just this sort of use).

So, suggestions or alternatives would be appreciated. And yes, I know not to trust stated light output-which is why I'm posting.

thanks,

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is a great projector especially with the free lamp, but street price is not $1150 for a new 7100. Anything close to $1300 is a great price and worth it. This projector produces great video and is good for business use. It is light 6lbs and quiet and has 2 computer inputs also has a econo mode.

I think it is one of the best in its price range.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.