AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much debate between the NEC HT1000 and the BenQ PE8700. I have finally settle on the BenQ. Any expert also using the BenQ and Bravo combo with a 1.5 gain screen that may give me a head start on calibration using DVI.

Thank You

·
Registered
424 Posts
please posts you thoughts on what made you choose the benq, i am still trying too choose between them and also the sp5700

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I watch mostly DVDs in widescreen, so I just thought it would be better to get a HD2 chip with native 16:9, instead of the wasting the NEC's 4.3. Also the big offset with the NEC wouldn't work in room with low ceilings.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Aron,

You might check out the "Secrets" BenQ thread. I posted some settings that worked for me with the D1. I've been tweaking further since I got the pj two weeks ago and tonight painted a grey screen on my basement wall for a 107" wide image. By the way, if you want to go big you simply will have to get the HD2. I am really glad I did because I am getting hooked real fast on W I D E screen after living with 80" wide for a long time. The HT1000 is a great machine but I could simply not go this big without pixels staring back at me if I'd bought it. Fortunately, I still can't make any pixels out with the HD2 at 107" wide at 14.5', but I could just begin to make out pixels when I demo'd the HT1000 in my HT with a 96" wide image.

If only the BenQ didn't have that blasted cycling fan....

Anyway, with the D1 you'll have to turn down the brightness to around 18-20, turn up contrast to around 23 or so, crank color to whatever looks good for your screen (for me now its around the mid-upper 40's), sharpness 0, tint around 10, red 13, green 17, blue and yellow both 15. Color temp should be 2 and with DV1 the filter's not in effect. With non-D1 inputs general settings will be closer to default but be sure to turn the "filter" down because they add ringing.

It's a really great combo, the D1 and BenQ.

·
Registered
15,184 Posts
Quote:
If only the BenQ didn't have that blasted cycling fan....
Would you mind to describe this problem in a bit more detail? I'm considering this projector but it's tough to get an audition. Does "cycling fan" mean that the fan turns on and off automatically as needed? Is it loud?

thanks,

-fafrd

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
The fan noise is not loud, it just varies as it cycles back and forth between two speeds every 5-15 seconds, and even that varies, once the pj warms up. I find the cycling aspect of it, as have others, distracting in quieter scenes. The quality of the varying sound is reminiscent of someone vacuuming the floor with the noise varying as they move the vacuum back and forth (it's not as loud as a vacuum cleaner in the room, obviously). This whole thing is maximized by my pj placement, that is about 3 ft. directly above my head.

I find it distracting enough that I have plans for a hushbox, not that it'll have to be a very heavy-duty one, fortunately, as a 10-15 dB reduction will probably be enough to take the cycling/noise below the "noticeable" level.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Is there a way to force the fan onto fast speed in a menu perhaps? A continuous tone is less likely to be intrusive than a varying one.

Gary.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have been playing with my new BenQ and Bravo since Thursday evening, and all I can say is WOW! I am a relative newbie to HT, and have owned 2 digital projectors over the last 5 years (early 4:3 IF DLP, and a Sony 10HT) and am on my 5th DVD player -- but this HD2/Bravo combo is literally an eye-opener! I am so impressed just projecting on to a plain white wall!

I can't wait for the results on the Hi-Power screen when it arrives on Tuesday.

The apparent resolution on 720 DVI is amazing and is much better than my last PJ (even though the 10HT has more pixels). This BenQ also projects a very bright image. The color saturation is great; although the green seems a little muted (you can pump up individual RGB and tint on this PJ even on DVI).

Over the last few years, I have been made to suffer poor contrast and blacks on my previous PJs, and this BenQ has made me a believer that good blacks and contrast can be had with a relatively cheap PJ -- I know the NEC is cheaper and has better blacks and contrast -- but all in all, the BenQ/Bravo combo delivers here too. I am also projecting a 120" image and the clarity is amazing from my 12 ft viewing distance.

I have watched many "darker" movies over the last three days, just to test the limits (even on my white wall). Blade II, The Devils Backbone (both Guillermo del Toro dark films) looked excellent. I was able to watch the scary dark scenes and actually saw shadow details that were not apparent to me in previous viewings. LOTR TT and Signs, also dark movies looked great (although I need to get the right sharpness settings for LOTR, which wasn't as "sharp" as I wanted it to be). Dreamcatcher's snow scenes with all the grey level gradations were also really good on this PJ. I also watched many Superbit films (Patriot, Desperado, Leon, XXX, Starship Troopers, Fifth Element, etc) and the detailed resolution in many scenes were even sharper than I remember from past viewings. What surprised me the most was the Superbit of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, which had better color, resolution, black levels and contrast than any time I have ever viewed it (at least 8 times before), with many evening fight scenes that looked great now! Again, the greens were a little muted here (flying around the bamboo forest scene). The best "resolution only" test was Star Wars AOTC -- full digital experience. I also did the usual animation viewing with Shrek, Monsters inc, and just purchased copy of Lion King – all had great color, brightness and better resolution -- Lion King looked great!

I can't comment on the PJ settings because I am still projecting to a white wall. When I get the Hi-Power I will configure more accurately. I must have put 20+ hours already on this PJ since Thursday.

Also, I have read many of the threads on the Bravo D1 problems with stuttering and freezing. I experienced some of this, but only when loading some DVDs. I noticed that a quick cleaning of the DVD (diskwasher or whatever) solved the problem: I also have a DVD lens cleaner and played that DVD a couple of times (read that fixed most of peoples problems). This happened only a few times and did not bother me, as it is a small price to pay (literally) for the higher DVI resolution.

Also, thank God I am not a rainbow sufferer, and did not notice any at all.

I also did NOT notice the fan noise (noticed more on Sony 10HT, although both PJs rated at under 30db) -- maybe I am just deaf because the PJ is directly a foot behind and above me, or maybe it's because I live in New York city where noise is always coming from somewhere (desensitized).

Hope to enjoy this PJ for many years – or until the next major upgrade bug hits me.

OK, back to watching more movies now -- the wife is traveling on business, so I have the perfect (or safest) time killer...

·
Premium Member
25,352 Posts
QC,

"The color saturation is great; although the green seems a little muted (you can pump up individual RGB and tint on this PJ even on DVI)."

Can you fix it with the controls, or not?

Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
Noah:

Haven't really mucked around too much with all the settings -- I want to wait for my Hi-Power screen to arrive. Then I'll know if the green is more because of the white wall plus or the PJ, and if it's the PJ, then how much can be adjusted.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Yes, green is directly adjustable in the "Picture" menu. There are individual RGB controls with yellow thrown in as well. I do have my green turned up to 18 from 15 default. Don't forget to save the picture settings in "Display" and then "Save" where you are offered three memory settings for each input source.

QuantumCosmos,

Did you check out the settings that worked for me with the D1? As in the case of the HT1000 the picture is really washed out with default settings and tweaking is needed. But, it sounds like your experience with the 8700 hasn't needed much tweaking so far.

I'm considering a different screen for my setup. One consideration for short-throw pjs, I've heard, is that hot spotting is more common with higher gain screens. You should keep the ratio as high as you can which in the 8700's case is 1.66 x screen width. So, I'll be curious to hear how your High Power works out. I experimented with painting my wall (with a 107" wide image) light gray to attempt a DIY grayhawk over the weekend, and liked the results, except for roller marks. The 8700 is bright enough to allow this kind of latitude with image size and gray screens.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
QC,

I'm very interested in the BenQ, but the zoom range appears to be a bit short for my constant height screen. However, these zoom ranges are often aproximations, and it might work after all. (The published specs are often very conservative where placement is concerned.)

As you're still projecting on a wall, you could do me a huge favor if you would measure your picture. If it's not inconvenient, if you could set it so the largest possible image is 92 inches wide, then zoom it to the smallest possible image and measure the width or height.

I think you will like the Hi Power. And don't worry - it does not hot spot.

Enjoy, and thanks for the posts.

Pip

·
Registered
88 Posts
dan:

Yes, I used your settings from the "Secrets Review" thread, and they were a good start -- thanks! It's just that I am still projecting on a white wall, and as we all like to do, I spent the first several viewings neurotically tweaking -- finally I realized that I am tweaking for no reason since I'll have to go over a more methodical tweaking when the Hi-Power arrives. I'll try your setting again after the screen is installed and start from there. BTW, I'll have to remember to save the settings (although it keeps the last memory setting w/out saving).

Pip:

I can't move the projector, but I can tell you that the PJ distance of 12.8 ft (from lens) to wall, the video image is slightly over 120" diagonally (at the largest zoom setting). I'll measure the smallest zoom image from the current 12.8 ft distance and let you know. Will this measurement help you?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Pip:

PJ distance of 12'8" from lens to wall:

- largest zoom 126" diagonal

- smallest zoom 104" diagonal

Of course this isn't the most accurate measurement since I just took a measuring tape and pulled it across the screen diagonally. So maybe give or take a couple of inches it should be OK. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
When connecting the Bravo D1 to the BenQ PE8700 via the DVI port, is it running in analog or digital mode? Also, is there a cable length limit for DVI? Anyone running a 60 foot long DVI cable?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
I read somewhere that 7.5m is the max guaranteed length for DVI, but I've seen a few people with 10m who don't seem to have any problems.

I think 60ft may be pushing it a bit though.

Gary.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Lightfoot
I read somewhere that 7.5m is the max guaranteed length for DVI, but I've seen a few people with 10m who don't seem to have any problems.

I think 60ft may be pushing it a bit though.

Gary.
If that is the case, then how are people getting from the DVD player to the projector? If anyone is doing a ceiling install of the projector and their room is average size, they would easily go over 7.5m and even over 10m. How are people handling this?

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
I have a ceiling mounted pj, and luckily I'm within 7.5m, which is the length of my DVI cable. I'm using htpc as my player.

I guess you have to plan it so that the DVI is short enough to not have problems.

Gary.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.