AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering three projectors at the moment. I'm getting the projector for Xbox 360, in which all games will be at least 720p. I will mostl likely also be purchasing an HDTV tuner so i can watch HDTV also. These are all basically in the same price range. At first i was considering the PE7700 but now i am not sure... The projector will be in a mostly controlled environment becuase it will be in the basement with one small window whcih can be completely covered off. Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
257 Posts
You don't think it is at all a interesting that she recommended the most expensive projector of the 3? From what I have read during my own research, you probably can't go wrong with any of the 3.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
You're not supposed to post street prices on this forum! See: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=500886 . Edit your first thread to delete the prices or this thread will be deleted.

Your only considerations should be the PE7700 or the H77. The PE8700 is an older PJ and is not as good as the PE7700. BTW, your PE7700 price is not correct. Remember that as an AVS member, you can get additional discounts from AVS Forum Alliance Members, see the links at the top of each page.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys, i'm having a really tough time deciding here. I don't wanna buy one and then realize that the other better. I'm doing as much research as possible and i can't find much differences besides the chip set, brightness, and contrast. The BenQ has 200 more lumens but only has 2500:1 contrast. The H77 has 3500:1 contrast. It sounds like a big difference to me, but i've heard that they overshoot what it really is. Once agian, if anyone can give me a little push towards what they think is best, I would much appreciate it! And CT, thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
415 Posts
That's it, your both in time out for tattling...

Which company? I'll give you a clue. It starts with a vowel and ends in a vowel. :D

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts

wae5 said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe
You're not supposed to post street prices on this forum! See: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=500886 . Edit your first thread to delete the prices or this thread will be deleted.

Claus, I realize anyone can tell anyone else to follow the forum rules, but I noticed recently you've been doing this with exceptional vigor. Does this mean you've been promoted to forum hall monitor? An inquiring mind would like to know. :)
Hey, everyone in this thread has been here long enough to know and understand the wishes of the ownership. Maybe Claus lost a couple of style points, but he did you a favor too....because if the information wasn't deleted, the thread would have been.

Ron

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Even "where to buy" posts are a no-no. No more warnings after this.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Aparently we were both editing at the same time ;)

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeAyKay
Guys, i'm having a really tough time deciding here. I don't wanna buy one and then realize that the other better. I'm doing as much research as possible and i can't find much differences besides the chip set, brightness, and contrast. The BenQ has 200 more lumens but only has 2500:1 contrast. The H77 has 3500:1 contrast. It sounds like a big difference to me, but i've heard that they overshoot what it really is. Once agian, if anyone can give me a little push towards what they think is best, I would much appreciate it! And CT, thanks for the advice.
Bruno compared the Tosh, BenQ with the H77 in his home. He is very capable, has analyzing equipment. He was very clear that the H77 was far superior.

Plus he said they have the panning issue, the Sharp Z2000 also. He's bothered by that. The H77 upgrade fixes the panning speed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks a bunch man, that helped a lot. I think i'll go with the H77. I also want to know if the new H77's come with the new upgrade.

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrain
guitarman,

Do the H77 sold now as new have the upgrade ? How does one check ?
Anyone ? I'm considering this as a possible upgrade ... esp. now that one of the sponsors is selling it around 3K with 3 yrs warranty and an extra bulb.

In terms of iputs, H77 has DVI w/ HDCP but BENQ 7700 has HDMI. Since no one would use projector's speakers, is there a reason why HDMI would be better than DVI ?

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Two popular reasons for HDMI is the size of the end plug is smaller, it runs through conduit easier and HDMI tends to support (mean less likey for artifacts and sparkles) longer cable runs.

Ron

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I concur - don't get the Benq 8700. It is old, doesn't support proper color wheel synchronization over DVI and VGA, had louder fans, etc.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrain
guitarman,

Do the H77 sold now as new have the upgrade ? How does one check ?
No the H77's are stock. I was asked to do the upgrade and since I spent so much time helping to get it over here I accepted, plus not to disappoint.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman
Bruno compared the Tosh, BenQ with the H77 in his home. He is very capable, has analyzing equipment. He was very clear that the H77 was far superior.

Plus he said they have the panning issue. He's bothered by that. The H77 upgrade fixed the problem. There's no upgrade for the others.
Guitarman,

Could you point me at this thread that you are referring to? I would like to read it...

I searched on Bruno and came up with a ton of them.

Thanks!

chris

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman
No the H77's are stock. I was asked to do the upgrade and since I spent so much time helping to get it over here I accepted, plus not to disappoint.
Yesterday I sent an inquiry to PP (the company with the extra bulb+warranty deal) asking them if the projectors they are selling have the upgrade installed that fixes the panning issue. The sales rep responded "Optima has upgraded all of their Projectors. We certainly have the upgraded versions as well. We do offer a full refund return policy." Do you believe they are selling upgraded projectors, or is the sales rep probably mistaken?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
What exactly is the problem that the upgrade fixes ? PAL color decoding ? Anything else ?

And once again, how does one check if the ugprade is installed ?

PP allows a full refund with up to 10 hours on the lamp, so it would be very useful to have that info - that would be one of the first things I would test.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.