Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found the info on this projector in this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=448109

The PDF linked to in that thread (a zipped pdf file) confirms the 8 segment wheel if you scroll down through the pdf.

Eight segments supposedly betters the color, correct???

Do you guys/gals think this will be priced to compete with the new $4500 MSRP Sharp HD2+ projector?

If it is, I'm very intersted! :)

Anyone also care to venture a guess as to when this projector might be released in the US? I have no idea when to expect it. I was going to buy a 8700+, but now I'm curious as to the release/price on this projector. Maybe it will have color and contrast like the Optima H77...

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
It has been released already, but not as a BenQ. It's pricing can best be described as Ridiculously, Unquestionably, Needlessly Costly and Overpriced. :D

Later,

Bill

PS: I'm merely trying to be cute - not start another flame war on Sam's marketing/pricing strategy...

·
Registered
753 Posts
Bill

I thought the Runco 710 was a seven segment ?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So is BenQ gonna release it in the states too, or is it only going to be made for Runco?

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
John/Ben - I actually don't know. There was a tremendous amount of speculation that the Runco relationship precluded BenQ releasing the 8710 to the public (8700 with 7 segment wheel). I am sure that Sam will try to exert similar influence over the eight segment version as well. Whether he succeeds or not is probably already written into the ODM contract between the two companies.

Later,

Bill

·
Registered
5,001 Posts

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Ursa,

Picture does tell more than 1,000 words. Nice to know the margins Runco charges vis-a-vis Benq's.

Lenny

·
Registered
837 Posts
I auditioned Runco 710 and 1000ci at several local Tampa HT dealers and thought these players were awful. my friend has the BenQ8700+ that looks better. i bought a sim2 HT300 E Link.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
You must understand the importance of Runco Black. Back in the days of CRT Projs. Runco would buy other makers' projectors, paint them black, and charge twice as much. But the black paint resulted in a marked improvement in picture quality!

The same applies today. Although the Runco and BenQ may superficially look the same, the Runco is painted Runco Black, again resulting in a marked improvement in picture quality, well justifying the price difference.

·
Registered
47 Posts
MDRUMS, What in the hell are you doing surfing the internet at 1:46 a.m.? Aren't there any good strip clubs in ATL??? Got the new DVI cable all installed last night. Everything looks great. The only problem is that I fell through the ceiling in Lisa's closet trying to get out of the attic. I probably would have killed myself if I hadn't straddled the truss and landed on the family jewels. It was pretty exciting to say the least! The only other problem is that when I went through the ceiling, my leg caught our new custom lighting fixture on the way down and destroyed it. I duct taped what was left of the drywall back up over the hole and went and calibrated the projector with VE over DVI. I will fix the hole at some point. This home theater gimmick is costing me a fortune at this point!!!

Mike

Was that the Runco 710 at AVS? I checked that out also and it was not calibrated correctly. It can give a better picture I am sure. If it has the 8700 guts it should give at least as good as mine. I tweaked mine again last night using the service menu and the picture is awesome at this point. Good luck prying the 5900 from my hands!

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Well, let's see...
http://www.runco.com/images/img_OP_DLP_cl510.jpg
http://www.benq.com/projectors/produ.../pe7800/01.jpg

Realistically, the only thing different between them is the lenses. Runco probably specs a higher quality glass. This is also gives the Runco a longer throw (the lenses in the PE8700 have been rumored to be plastic, but I don't know for sure). However, the core light engine is probably exactly the same. The outer housing is slightly different, but that's not much of a differentiator.

Later,

Bill

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ursa
It has been released already, but not as a BenQ. It's pricing can best be described as Ridiculously, Unquestionably, Needlessly Costly and Overpriced. :D

Later,

Bill

PS: I'm merely trying to be cute - not start another flame war on Sam's marketing/pricing strategy...

Not surprised at all..:)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mdrums
I auditioned Runco 710 and 1000ci at several local Tampa HT dealers and thought these players were awful. my friend has the BenQ8700+ that looks better. i bought a sim2 HT300 E Link.

Same here, I have still to find a Runco that looks better than the 8700+ or the Sharp 12000 and I have seen plenty of them.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Specifically, Runco owns the Vidikron brand, which it uses on its "lower end" line and which has a somewhat different set of dealers.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I thought the benq 8700+'s len was glass. I used my finger nail to "tap" the lens on the front and it felt smooth and didn't have that plastic sound or texture on the lens surface........

But I still can't say for sure if the entire lens assembly is glass or plastic.

1 - 20 of 293 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.