AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I have my theater going and havent been here for a while, and yes I really need to update my pics but ive been busy watchin the sopranos...lol ,

anyways a freind of mine who has much more money than I is in the process of his theater construction and has been askin me what I would buy if I had his money, I told him i would get the PE8720, now last time I was here the 7700 was about 2 weeks from coming out, I thought the 8720 was right behind it and so I kinda figured it would be out now......... Ive searched the forum but cant find any threads that have the current release date on it. and if anyone knows the Street price please send me a PM.... Thank You

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
It isn't out as far as I know and some of us will probably ask BenQ at CEDIA on September 9th if we don't have an answer by then. Since it sounds like you haven't been keeping up, you might want to check out what Optoma has done to pricing with the H78DC3. Anything close to $10k for the 8720 wouldn't cut it anymore IMO, although I would still like to see them come out with it or a variant with a newer chip (if TI has one).

--Darin

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
I would tend to agree. Benq could have had a real winner if they had gotten this unit out end of last year like most other DC3 units. If they release it now, and at a MSRP around $10k like they did before, it's going to be a tough sale. Heck even Sim2 lowered retail on the HT300E to $9995 now.

·
Registered
675 Posts
But, if it:

- is priced competitively against the Optoma H78DC3/H79,

- does not suffer from the "annoyances" of the H79 (listed here), and

- has adjustable iris,

it could still do well. This would especially be the case if nothing compelling comes out at CEDIA.

Benq - are you listening ?

Brent

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Yeah, it really depends on what the street price winds up being. BenQs fortunately and unforutunately have a habit of being heavily discounted. I agree with Jason that they missed a big opportunity in not coming out with the Optoma 79 came out.

Then again, since the 1080p projectors wont be coming outthis year, its seems like projector technology will be in standby for a while and the new BenQ might do well (assuming its priced right) until 1080p projectors hit the shelves

·
Registered
20 Posts
Personally for 10K I would wait till the Runco Cl610 and 810 are debuted at the CEDIA show 09/08/05. The 710 at $9995 blows the pants off anything BenQ has to offer, IMO. and the new 610 is suppose to be best thing in the 5-7K range. To many things happening to buy something now before the show in Sept.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I don't know if this is true but I was told that this product will likely not be released. This was a direct comment from a BenQ person.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
The Benq will be shown at IFA AFAIK and according to my sources you will be able to buy it from september on in europe for around 7k€ listprice... Is this true? Well we will have to wait a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
That projector was launched at CES last year. Is it actually SHIPPING ANYWHERE yet?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Saw it in action with Denon 5910 DVD player hdmi out . My recommendation: Do not base on the specs , see it in action yourself ...... Probably what I see is not properly tweak .

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Yeah I would not be suprised if they ditched it, although I think that would be a costly mistake (lots of R&D wasted).

Here's to hoping it comes out soon at $5k MSRP! :)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
According to a big german HT dealer the projector will be delivered from end of august on. Usually if they write something like this on their page, they know that things will happen that way... It's only a couple of days and then we will know if there will be another delay...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WOW, thats crazy that they might just ditch it............. guess ill just have to stick around and see what happens

·
Registered
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-airforce
PE-8720 just launched in Bangkok, Thailand. The price is ~ $6,000.
i would love to go to see the real picture of 8720 when i am going to Bangkok next trip. It has one shown in Bangkok the dealer comfirmed with me yesterday.

Frist, i almost order H79 i do like H79 but i have problem about my house Flooding :( . I live in Northeast of thailand so i think i have to wait . I FEEL SO AGONY TO GET IT DONE, The big issue that makes me think twice NOW. After all, i find out the problem of Authorized Distributor and dealer Optoma in Thailand i don't want to have any problem with service, warrenty later on .

Yes the price 8720 here in thailand is cheaper than H79 :eek: :eek:

however i need to see how it works. In the long team, I will be safe and I have very good service if i am going to buy 8720 this is the most important that i change my mind from H79 to 8720 ....

anyone confirm Does BenQ 8720 use DC3 ? :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yes , it is using the DC3 according to the spec . The size of this 8720 is much more bigger than 7700 . Weight is around 9.5kg , if I remember correctly . However , I found out BenQ pj really has bit problem implement the hdmi input. 7700 gives me this impression , so do this 8720 . Component input is ok but when you feed in thru hdmi using Denon 3910 or even 5910 , the picture is unstable and grainy . I suggest you take a look first .

·
Registered
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Yeo
Yes , it is using the DC3 according to the spec . The size of this 8720 is much more bigger than 7700 . Weight is around 9.5kg , if I remember correctly . However , I found out BenQ pj really has bit problem implement the hdmi input. 7700 gives me this impression , so do this 8720 . Component input is ok but when you feed in thru hdmi using Denon 3910 or even 5910 , the picture is unstable and grainy . I suggest you take a look first .
Thank you for your comment about BenQ. yes i think i will go to look at the picture frist because i used to see 8700+ iscan HDplus SDI fm Ayre DVD7 + Stewart GrayHawk RS 82" DOES NOT IMPRESS ME SO MUCH!!!! i feel it is not smooth motion very disappointed. this was only i spent couple hours with it in the dealer showroom. i hope if i setup with Lumagen HDP+ 969 avi(pioneer version 59avi in US) with 8720 will work very very well or i can say wow as H79 but i have NOT seen it YET!! i think Benq must solved the probelm of 8700+ when they ran 7700 out to the market . In this time 8720 should RE-solved again of any problem of 7700and 8700+ even about HDMI input as well.

However i will arrange schedule with dealer and fly to Bangkok next week to see it with myself before i buy it . In this time, i hope BenQ will not disappoint me agian. In the event that happened agian that means i have to go back to zero again or i may turn my head back to H79 and sleep with hollow if i need any servise later on...

i will come up date if i see 8720

thank agian for imformation.

tony lee

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.