AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find someone that has or had one of these projectors for at least a year. For the price, I find it very appealing. I have a few questions.
1. We used our former projector in in our living room usually daily, maybe 4-8 hours on days it's used. How does this projector stand up to this use?
2. It has an internal speaker. Can it be turned off when running through an AV receiver?
3. The projector description says it's for schools, institutions, businesses, etc. Does it work well as a home theater projector?
4. My ceiling mount is 16 feet from the screen without using the zoom. My screen area is maxed at about 110 inches wide by about 70 inches. Would this distance be ok for the picture sixe.
5. How much "fine tuning" is needed to adjust the color wen setting up for first time?
6. Our room is not blacked like a designated home theater.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
I am trying to find someone that has or had one of these projectors for at least a year. For the price, I find it very appealing. I have a few questions.
1. We used our former projector in in our living room usually daily, maybe 4-8 hours on days it's used. How does this projector stand up to this use?
2. It has an internal speaker. Can it be turned off when running through an AV receiver?
3. The projector description says it's for schools, institutions, businesses, etc. Does it work well as a home theater projector?
4. My ceiling mount is 16 feet from the screen without using the zoom. My screen area is maxed at about 110 inches wide by about 70 inches. Would this distance be ok for the picture sixe.
5. How much "fine tuning" is needed to adjust the color wen setting up for first time?
6. Our room is not blacked like a designated home theater.
I think you are asking the wrong questions. Instead of telling us what you are looking at, why not describe your room setup and then ask for some recommendations from those of us with home theater experience. Let us know about your room size, your usage, etc...

Wait, that's pretty much what you did, but then you tied it to a projector which isn't designed for this type of use and isn't one which many here would recommend for you.

So, I'm going to say that you are looking at the wrong product. It is rated to bright, but only has a 2x color wheel so likely delivers less than 1,000 color lumens and would have poor color anywhere near full brightness. It's designed for PowerPoint not movies and sports. The contrast is more likely under 800:1 when showing real content. At 38dB it is very noisy in high power mode. With 16' lens to screen, you can get an image diagonal between 106" and 159" which does work nicely for you. The lens would need to be about 9" above the top edge of the screen. All projectors can have the speaker turned off or the volume turned all the way down if it is not to be used.

What else will give you about a 120" diagonal from 16' lens to screen?

http://www.projectorcentral.com/pro...jh=&td=16&is=120&i=d&tr=&oop=2&sort=pop&sz=15

From that list, the Epson 3000 is a budget minded solution which will deliver solid light output and decent home theater quality for the money. Lamps are pretty average on this model for replacement costs.

I would more likely opt for the Epson 2030 or 2000 model. It would need to be closer for a 120" diagonal, but it is only $550 on Amazon right now...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...1&keywords=epson+2000+projector&condition=new

Use the $300+ you save to relocate your mount if you need to. Lamps are cheap, and it has solid brightness and really is an ideal 'living room' TV replacement model.

Of course, you need decent curtains if you have windows and sunlight to deal with. Front projection demands some level of light control no matter what.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts