AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Man I could have sworn this projector supported Dolby vision. Lol. Racking my brain trying to get it to work with Xbox series x and no go. Couldn’t find any info except a question on the support faq on benqs page. Yet it’s in plain black and white on this review that only hdr10 and hlg are supported. Oh well. Still enjoying it.
No projectors I know of support Dolby Vision— only HDR10.

This is by design. Dolby requires their proprietary hardware and licensing as well as the display to meet certain minimum thresholds. There is no consumer projector that meets those standards and Dolby has yet to target front projection with a standard. Which is a shame as Dolby’s meta data would really benefit projection instead of the current wild wild west of proprietary tone mapping we have now.

·
Premium Member
4,433 Posts
***Well, that was fast. I ordered the TK700STi from the BenQ website yesterday and I received notice today that it has shipped - FedEx Ground. Anticipated delivery date - 06.07.21.

Reactions: DunMunro

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got mine a couple weeks ago and the 3D definitely does not work. It tries and it flickers but I just see two blurry images. My 3D glasses are fine, i tried them on my other projector. I think it's the unit. YMMV though
I received mine from Amazon.ca last week. 3D Blu Ray does not work. FW version 1.00.

·
Premium Member
4,433 Posts
Hmm... let me check on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
***Any update? Looks like the units from Amazon to Canada all confirm a no go for 3D. That’s not what I was told by BenQ support. So, obviously an issue still?

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I just received the tk700sti today. I’m just projecting on a white wall. I think it’s more then 120 inches cause my projector is about 11 feet from the wall. I have a question. I was watching the mandalorian with subtitles and i thought colors were shining through the subtitle whites. It was so much that I started getting dizzy. Is it cause I am projecting on a white wall ? Should I buy a screen ? Any recommendations on screen if I do ? Anyway it would be a big help to know what I should do ! Thanks !

·
Premium Member
4,433 Posts
So I just received the tk700sti today. I’m just projecting on a white wall. I think it’s more then 120 inches cause my projector is about 11 feet from the wall. I have a question. I was watching the mandalorian with subtitles and i thought colors were shining through the subtitle whites. It was so much that I started getting dizzy. Is it cause I am projecting on a white wall ? Should I buy a screen ? Any recommendations on screen if I do ? Anyway it would be a big help to know what I should do ! Thanks !
***Unless the Projector Central calculations are way off - - your projector should be 94” to 113” from your screen (or wall) for a 120” 16 x 9 picture. If I plug in 11’ (distance from PJ to your wall) that equates to a 154” screen. First - measure your screen (wall size) diagonally and width wise to give us an idea of your true picture size. Second, I believe the Mandalorian is a Disney+ offering? Is it a HDR series or 4K/1080p? Third, what are you using to stream this series? Fourth, how long is your HDMI cable run?

You shouldn’t have any color bleed on subtitles. I believe a proper projection screen is far superior to any blank wall but you’ll find folks who have treated their wall with paint and are happy with the result. Personally, I believe an investment in a fixed or electronic screen, depending on your setup up and preference, is a wise move. You could always get a screen fabric sample and hold it up on your wall to see if you can tell any difference. How about your room? Dark, light controlled or some ambient light?

Lastly, in purchasing a screen, companies like Silver Ticket are very cost effective and many times Craigslist will have great deals on quality screens that people are selling due to moving or upgrading. Lots of options. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
You might be seeing RBE. Rainbow effect is and artifact of the sequential color creation of single chip DLP. For those that see it is most prevalent on bright elements on a dark back ground-- such as white subtitles. This is made worse when moving your eyes across the screen-- which you're likely do do reading subtitles as quickly as you can. I did see RBE on some text heavy games but this was massively reduced when I started trimming the light output of the projector. I might recommend starting there.

Or is it that you are seeing color fringing around bright elements? That *could be chromatic aberration. Very common on projectors but not something I saw with my particular sample (not at any reasonable viable distance anyway) although this can vary from unit to unit. Does the effect get better or worse with use of the telephoto lens?

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
***Any update? Looks like the units from Amazon to Canada all confirm a no go for 3D. That’s not what I was told by BenQ support. So, obviously an issue still?
Yeah the update hasn't been rolled out yet. I'll get in touch as it seems the sales team is unfamiliar and I see it still advertised on the product page.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You might be seeing RBE. Rainbow effect is and artifact of the sequential color creation of single chip DLP. For those that see it is most prevalent on bright elements on a dark back ground-- such as white subtitles. This is made worse when moving your eyes across the screen-- which you're likely do do reading subtitles as quickly as you can. I did see RBE on some text heavy games but this was massively reduced when I started trimming the light output of the projector. I might recommend starting there.

Or is it that you are seeing color fringing around bright elements? That *could be chromatic aberration. Very common on projectors but not something I saw with my particular sample (not at any reasonable viable distance anyway) although this can vary from unit to unit. Does the effect get better or worse with use of the telephoto lens?

I am new to projectors so I’m not sure what telephoto lens means. But I did read through your settings and changed my projector to those settings. I think mine might be the rainbow effect. But I was able to watch it’s always sunny in Philadelphia because it’s a really bright show. I only use the projector at night so I’ll try mandalorian again tonight. The mandalorian might be a little different because it is such a dark show and has extreme white subtitles which is probably why I think it is the rainbow effect. But hopefully your settings will help tonight while watching. Also if you wouldn’t mind could you explain to me as a complete newbie what the telephoto lens is please ?

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I am new to projectors so I’m not sure what telephoto lens means. But I did read through your settings and changed my projector to those settings. I think mine might be the rainbow effect. But I was able to watch it’s always sunny in Philadelphia because it’s a really bright show. I only use the projector at night so I’ll try mandalorian again tonight. The mandalorian might be a little different because it is such a dark show and has extreme white subtitles which is probably why I think it is the rainbow effect. But hopefully your settings will help tonight while watching. Also if you wouldn’t mind could you explain to me as a complete newbie what the telephoto lens is please ?
Just the zoom lens.

It really sounds like RBE. Try adjusting the brilliant color slider down. I'm not particularly sensitive to the artifact but I can see it if I go looking for it and I did notice it a bit with text in the default settings. Turning down the brilliant color setting worked wonders for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just the zoom lens.

It really sounds like RBE. Try adjusting the brilliant color slider down. I'm not particularly sensitive to the artifact but I can see it if I go looking for it and I did notice it a bit with text in the default settings. Turning down the brilliant color setting worked wonders for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I saw that on your settings and you did that ! I’ll see how it effects that show tonight ! Thanks so much fir your help and I will definitely let you know what happens !

·
Premium Member
4,433 Posts
Just the zoom lens.

***Lots of variables there - especially with a wall projection. If RBE is present on subtitles, I’d suspect it’s everywhere including the main picture. Not enough info or even confirmation of screen size to make any determination, IMHO. Any wall projection, especially untreated, could add major artifacts and who knows what type of video aberrations.

Reactions: sage11x

·
Premium Member
4,433 Posts
***Quick question sage11x - - I know the TK700STi specs say anywhere from a 29.96" - 300.15" screen size (Projector Central,) but is there a sacrifice in picture quality after reaching a certain screen size? I'm not sure if this is true of all projectors but it would seem that a 300" screen wouldn't be as sharp as a 120" or 100".

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
***Lots of variables there - especially with a wall projection. If RBE is present on subtitles, I’d suspect it’s everywhere including the main picture. Not enough info or even confirmation of screen size to make any determination, IMHO. Any wall projection, especially untreated, could add major artifacts and who knows what type of video aberrations.
Possibly, but the description of the problem along with the source material places RBE as the primary suspect. White subtitles on a dark background or in letterbox bars is pretty much the worst case scenario for single chip DLP as you’ll be scanning your eyes rapidly across the text to read it and that’s an easy way to induce the artifact. Again, don’t think this should be an issue for most people especially if you drop the brightness a little by reducing brilliant color. But some people are really sensitive to RBE, rare but it does happen. When I was playing games I noticed it occasionally and I’m not even that sensitive to it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
***Quick question sage11x - - I know the TK700STi specs say anywhere from a 29.96" - 300.15" screen size (Projector Central,) but is there a sacrifice in picture quality after reaching a certain screen size? I'm not sure if this is true of all projectors but it would seem that a 300" screen wouldn't be as sharp as a 120" or 100".
I have mine in temporarily waiting for screen and ceiling mount at 150” and image quality it incredible still.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have mine in temporarily waiting for screen and ceiling mount at 150” and image quality it incredible still.
As a first time projector owner this is driving me nuts.
I kept switching between 120" and 150". The resolutions clarity and crispness seemed to be less of a problem then the fading of the saturation and colours (lost brightness ..and contrast I guess) at 150. So I'm sitting at 120 right now but I hear a lot of pros always sitting at around 100 and complaining about the brightness demands of HDR so I really am not sure.

At 12 feet away 120" is 40fl brightness according to the calculator, so this should be suitable if we are still aiming for the 30+ standard. Though not sure if we lowered the settings to smart eco like is suggested in this thread (anyway likely not ideal in non light controlled rooms).

Final note, on the 4K sharpness there seems to be a minor degradation between 120-150" if also moving back further say 12-14 feet. It's still going to be crisper smaller but the main issue would be on the quality of the saturation/contrast. That being said I would I still would like to hear opinions on the threshold distance of where 4K can be best appreciated.

PS. I have a very white room and displaying on an offwhite wall at the moment.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
As a first time projector owner this is driving me nuts.
I kept switching between 120" and 150". The clarity didn't seem to be a problem but in the end I decided that the colours faded more (lost brightness ..and contrast I guess) at 150. So I'm sitting at 120 right now but I hear a lot of pros always sitting at around 100 and complaining about the brightness demands of HDR so I really am not sure.

At 12 feet away 120" is 40fl brightness according to the calculator, so this should be suitable if we are still aiming for the 30+ standard. Though not sure if we lowered the settings to smart eco like is suggested in this thread.

Final note, on the 4K sharpness there seems to be a minor degradation between 120-150" if moving back further say 12-14 feet. So main issue would be on the quality of the contrast and brightness. I have a very white room and display on an offwhite wall at the moment.
Critical focus is a must for 4K sharpness. On a suggestion from Sage11x I use a spotting scope setup at the projector, to view the screen whilst focusing.

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·

Correct. Although this has less to do with limitations of the 4K resolution and more to do with the limitations of the lens. My sample actually had better focus uniformity than either the Ht3550 or TK850 I reviewed— with only a bit of softening in the lower corners. Overall chromatic aberration was low but present. However, that was on my 100” screen. As the screen size increases these errors tend to become more noticeable and short throw lens like the one in the Tk700STi tend to display more artifacts than their longer throw cousins.

The TK certainly has the lumen muscle to push large screens but my guess is you might find artifacts more bothersome at extreme sizes. My guess is most people will be able to push screen sizes between 135-150” without issue. Above that it will really depend on your particular sample and how far you’ll be sitting away (and what tolerance you have for artifacts). BenQ states that 200” is their recommended upper limit for “clear” image size.

61 - 80 of 202 Posts