AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Critical focus is a must for 4K sharpness. On a suggestion from Sage11x I use a spotting scope setup at the projector, to view the screen whilst focusing.
I’m glad someone found that piece of advice useful. :)

The monocular I use has a threaded base which allows it to be mounted to a tri pod (that to me was very important). I also recommend with this TK700 that you feed it a 1080p source and select game mode when focusing. This will force the projector back in HD mode and makes it a bit easier to focus around individual pixels (the pixel shift can make finding the edges of individual pixels more difficult). If you have a sharp 1080p image you’ll have a sharp 4K image.

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
As a first time projector owner this is driving me nuts.
I kept switching between 120" and 150". The resolutions clarity and crispness seemed to be less of a problem then the fading of the saturation and colours (lost brightness ..and contrast I guess) at 150. So I'm sitting at 120 right now but I hear a lot of pros always sitting at around 100 and complaining about the brightness demands of HDR so I really am not sure.

At 12 feet away 120" is 40fl brightness according to the calculator, so this should be suitable if we are still aiming for the 30+ standard. Though not sure if we lowered the settings to smart eco like is suggested in this thread (anyway likely not ideal in non light controlled rooms).

Final note, on the 4K sharpness there seems to be a minor degradation between 120-150" if also moving back further say 12-14 feet. It's still going to be crisper smaller but the main issue would be on the quality of the saturation/contrast. That being said I would I still would like to hear opinions on the threshold distance of where 4K can be best appreciated.

PS. I have a very white room and displaying on an offwhite wall at the moment.
Don’t worry about HDR— let the BenQ algorithm do it’s job. Set image brightness for what is comfortable to you. Peak brightness for an HDR display is something that is only used on a very small portion of the screen for a very short period of time. It’s not something you need to concern yourself with on a projector.

For me, I’m always going to be below 23-24fL (80cd/m^2) for a dark theater type setting. In a dark setting I find anything brighter than that fatiguing. At 30fL the image is physically painful unless I turn on lights. Keep in mind I run my computer monitors at 120cd/m^2 (35fL) for daytime/lights on viewing (I laugh when reviewers say so-and-so monitor would be good for dark room use— most monitors i’ve used can’t get down to 80cd/m^2 without dumping contrast and some not at all).

Obviously the Tk700STi is not really intended for a traditional theater role. It’a an ambient light fighter. Still, there is so much light on tap here you should be able to comfortably reduce the brilliant color setting to bring back some color luminance and still have more than enough output to fill that 150” screen (at least in a room with less ambient light).

·
Premium Member
4,433 Posts
Obviously the Tk700STi is not really intended for a traditional theater role. It’s an ambient light fighter. Still, there is so much light on tap here you should be able to comfortably reduce the brilliant color setting to bring back some color luminance and still have more than enough output to fill that 150” screen (at least in a room with less ambient light).
***I guess a traditional theater role means a pitch black room with treated (non-white or light color) walls? This was the only 4K projector that I could use in my smaller man cave (low ceilings, needed a very short throw distance and lightweight projector.)

Still - - from everyone's experience that I've read so far - - it should do much better than my previous 1080p - W1080ST for sharpness and color. And, maybe the ability to watch/game with a little ambient light - - which is my preferred viewing environment anyway.

As far as focusing the lens - - I take it that if you give it a 1080p signal (say Amazon or Netflix) AND put it in "Game Mode," - - there will be no "upscaling" by the projector to 4K. Hence no pixel shifting and the ability to focus easier?

Reactions: sage11x

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Folks. This is my first post here and just wanted to say I just got the projector and it looks amazing. It's my first expensive projector and coming from a 65" Sony A8H OLED, I looked back and the tv and thought the tv looked incredibly downsized. The color difference was definitely there but as someone else mentioned, the sheer size is just amazing and I knew that going in.

Unfortunately I came across a white pixel on the top portion outside of the "screen".
Was hoping someone might be able to provide a solution or if it is in fact a dead pixel. I called BenQ support and I'm ready to ship it back for a replacement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Obviously the Tk700STi is not really intended for a traditional theater role. It’a an ambient light fighter. Still, there is so much light on tap here you should be able to comfortably reduce the brilliant color setting to bring back some color luminance and still have more than enough output to fill that 150” screen (at least in a room with less ambient light).
It can definately fill 150" and be watchable. It does look more washed out though, this is in my viewing scenario of a white room. The pixels on text start to be more visible as well, though this is secondary.

·
Premium Member
4,433 Posts
Hey Folks. This is my first post here and just wanted to say I just got the projector and it looks amazing. It's my first expensive projector and coming from a 65" Sony A8H OLED, I looked back and the tv and thought the tv looked incredibly downsized. The color difference was definitely there but as someone else mentioned, the sheer size is just amazing and I knew that going in.

Unfortunately I came across a white pixel on the top portion outside of the "screen".
Was hoping someone might be able to provide a solution or if it is in fact a dead pixel. I called BenQ support and I'm ready to ship it back for a replacement.

View attachment 3142272
***Glad to hear about the positive experience and please let us know how BenQ handles the dead pixel issue. What type of screen and size do you have? How are the colors and clarity/sharpness?

·
Registered
8 Posts
***Glad to hear about the positive experience and please let us know how BenQ handles the dead pixel issue. What type of screen and size do you have? How are the colors and clarity/sharpness?
BenQ support was really helpful and told me I can choose to send mine back and get a new one or have them ship out one (charge my card once more) and send the one I have back when I receive the new one. Still debating if I should keep it or not. Going to mess around with the settings to see if I can make it look better.

To be honest I have a cheap 120" screen from amazon. It's white and it says 1:1 gain.
Clarity is very clear but the colors are definitely not its strong point. They're all there but it's not as punchy, which I expected. I only feel this way because I'm spoiled by my OLED so if I never had the OLED, I'd say the colors were vibrant and amazing. HDR content looked great and 4k youtube videos look spectacular. Of all the things, I've yet to try my ps5/switch.

·
Premium Member
4,433 Posts
Going to mess around with the settings to see if I can make it look better.

To be honest I have a cheap 120" screen from amazon. It's white and it says 1:1 gain.
Clarity is very clear but the colors are definitely not its strong point. They're all there but it's not as punchy, which I expected. I only feel this way because I'm spoiled by my OLED so if I never had the OLED, I'd say the colors were vibrant and amazing. HDR content looked great and 4k youtube videos look spectacular. Of all the things, I've yet to try my ps5/switch.
***Yes, you cannot beat an OLED for depth of color, brilliance, black level detail and overall picture quality. But I knew that going in and there aren't any 100" OLED's that I know of plus the cost and problems with banding, blobbing, tinting and the "grid" issues are prohibitive on larger OLED screens. My OLED is a 48" Sony A9S that is in our bedroom.

I mentioned in another thread that my greatest regret when I started down the projector path (previous BenQ W1080ST) was that I didn't spend enough on a quality screen. I picked a cheapie FAVI screen that has subsequently crapped out (won't roll extend down - common problem) at a 1.0 gain but NOT tab-tensioned. I didn't want to spend a lot of dollars on a somewhat temporary (1.5 to 2.0 year solution) as we will be moving in the future. But I didn't want to live without a projector for that long of time and the BenQ TK700STi is the only projector that can fit in my smaller mancave that is 4K. I bought a Silver Ticket 100", tab-tensioned screen, on the recommendation of sage11x. They are a real responsive company and they even set the top "drop" to only 2" for me since I need all the screen I can get with a smaller ceiling I have in our basement.

Check sage11x's settings and see if you can dial in the "Brilliant Color," as he suggested, to deliver more "pop" to colors and black levels. Any projector, even the most expensive, won't match an OLED. BUT!!! Having that big screen experience for movies and gaming is really a pleasure!

Reactions: sage11x

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·

View attachment 3142272
Hm… am I right in my observation that this spot is actually outside the projected image? It also looks to be outside the unused 20 pixel border as well— have you checked to see if there is anything obstructing the lens or the surrounding light path? This looks to be a reflection that is picking up something in the light path or perhaps even in your room.

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 · (Edited)
***I guess a traditional theater role means a pitch black room with treated (non-white or light color) walls? This was the only 4K projector that I could use in my smaller man cave (low ceilings, needed a very short throw distance and lightweight projector.)

Still - - from everyone's experience that I've read so far - - it should do much better than my previous 1080p - W1080ST for sharpness and color. And, maybe the ability to watch/game with a little ambient light - - which is my preferred viewing environment anyway.

As far as focusing the lens - - I take it that if you give it a 1080p signal (say Amazon or Netflix) AND put it in "Game Mode," - - there will be no "upscaling" by the projector to 4K. Hence no pixel shifting and the ability to focus easier?
Correct, game mode bypasses the internal 4K upscaling and outputs a 1080p image for a 1080p source. I found this was the easiest way to focus the projector. Get a test pattern or a menu with clearly defined text right in the middle of the screen and dial in the sharpness there. Then you can go back to 4K and be assured you have the sharpest possible image.

And yes, a dark, light controlled room. The Tk700STi is part of benQ’s Th/Tk lineup of living room or “home entertainment” models. As distinct from their HT “home theater” models like the HT3550 and HT5550. These models sacrifice lumen output for richer color and better contrast/blacks and typically perform best in a dedicated room.

Reactions: Ricoflashback

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hm… am I right in my observation that this spot is actually outside the projected image? It also looks to be outside the unused 20 pixel border as well— have you checked to see if there is anything obstructing the lens or the surrounding light path? This looks to be a reflection that is picking up something in the light path or perhaps even in your room.
Hi there,

Yes it seems to be outside of the border, which is still really confusing to me. Unfortunately it shows up in the same spot on different walls. Forgive my ignorance, can dust settle inside to cause that? Moving the lens via the zoom doesn't move it's position but the focus does put it out of or in focus. It almost looks like a paint chip. I'll keep messing around with it for now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
***Yes, you cannot beat an OLED for depth of color, brilliance, black level detail and overall picture quality. But I knew that going in and there aren't any 100" OLED's that I know of plus the cost and problems with banding, blobbing, tinting and the "grid" issues are prohibitive on larger OLED screens. My OLED is a 48" Sony A9S that is in our bedroom.

I mentioned in another thread that my greatest regret when I started down the projector path (previous BenQ W1080ST) was that I didn't spend enough on a quality screen. I picked a cheapie FAVI screen that has subsequently crapped out (won't roll extend down - common problem) at a 1.0 gain but NOT tab-tensioned. I didn't want to spend a lot of dollars on a somewhat temporary (1.5 to 2.0 year solution) as we will be moving in the future. But I didn't want to live without a projector for that long of time and the BenQ TK700STi is the only projector that can fit in my smaller mancave that is 4K. I bought a Silver Ticket 100", tab-tensioned screen, on the recommendation of sage11x. They are a real responsive company and they even set the top "drop" to only 2" for me since I need all the screen I can get with a smaller ceiling I have in our basement.

Check sage11x's settings and see if you can dial in the "Brilliant Color," as he suggested, to deliver more "pop" to colors and black levels. Any projector, even the most expensive, won't match an OLED. BUT!!! Having that big screen experience for movies and gaming is really a pleasure!
Nice I thought the same thing going in but I don't have the dedicated space right now and for sure that larger screen is a treat.
I have this screen for the time being since it's portable https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DKWMV8K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I definitely do want a good dedicated screen like you said and most likely will down the road.

I did change some settings around and did tone down the Brilliant color which did help. Watching nature documentaries definitely helps as well haha.

·
Premium Member
4,433 Posts
Nice I thought the same thing going in but I don't have the dedicated space right now and for sure that larger screen is a treat.
I have this screen for the time being since it's portable https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DKWMV8K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I definitely do want a good dedicated screen like you said and most likely will down the road.

I did change some settings around and did tone down the Brilliant color which did help. Watching nature documentaries definitely helps as well haha.
***Yes - that's a cheapo screen, like I had, which still provides a decent picture but I'm pretty sure the tab-tensioned, Silver Ticket screen I'm getting will be a lot better. It's made for 4K/8K and I can't help but think that your screen is not providing the best color/punch compared to an even modest upgrade ($700) to the Silver Ticket screen. I also considered some more expensive screens from Elunevision and Grandview but since we're moving, I decided to forego that. But I can guarantee you - - our next place will be downsized and I'll have a UST Projector in our living room (no space for a dedicated theater room) with a Grandview Dynamique, fixed frame, screen. (Or even a Silver Ticket fixed screen - - their ease of installation is really great along with their installation videos.)

One comment about the big screen, movie experience. Remember the Bourne Supremacy movie? The scene, at the very end, where he's in Russia and confesses to Irena that he killed her parents? That monolithic, huge, sterile apartment complex looked incredible on the big screen as they panned their way up. Cold, bluish, winter tone that could only be captured in size and scope with a 100" screen or larger. That's why I bought this projector. For scenes and movies like that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
***Yes - that's a cheapo screen, like I had, which still provides a decent picture but I'm pretty sure the tab-tensioned, Silver Ticket screen I'm getting will be a lot better. It's made for 4K/8K and I can't help but think that your screen is not providing the best color/punch compared to an even modest upgrade ($700) to the Silver Ticket screen. I also considered some more expensive screens from Elunevision and Grandview but since we're moving, I decided to forego that. But I can guarantee you - - our next place will be downsized and I'll have a UST Projector in our living room (no space for a dedicated theater room) with a Grandview Dynamique, fixed frame, screen.

One comment about the big screen, movie experience. Remember the Bourne Supremacy movie? The scene, at the very end, where he's in Russia and confesses to Irena that he killed her parents? That monolithic, huge, sterile apartment complex looked incredible on the big screen as they panned their way up. Cold, bluish, winter tone that could only be captured in size and scope with a 100" screen or larger. That's why I bought this projector. For scenes and movies like that.
Yea man I hear you. I wanted to play 1917's ending scene. I have it on usb but didn't realize the projector won't play from it (unless I'm mistaken).

How much are these screens? I had no idea they were so expensive. A modest upgrade is $700? Holy moly. I need to look into how to set these up properly. Been a dream to have a proper home theater.

·
Premium Member
4,433 Posts
Yea man I hear you. I wanted to play 1917's ending scene. I have it on usb but didn't realize the projector won't play from it (unless I'm mistaken).

How much are these screens? I had no idea they were so expensive. A modest upgrade is $700? Holy moly. I need to look into how to set these up properly. Been a dream to have a proper home theater.
***Yes, the movie 1917. Really a great flick and the scenery is spectacular. Another great movie is Lawrence of Arabia - remastered. I mean, with a projector, the expansive and immersive nature with flicks like this is outstanding. Really enjoyable.

I don't remember if you have the ability for a "fixed screen." If so, drop the cost a couple hundred dollars. You can get a Matte White, Grey, HC Grey, Silver or Woven Acoustic screen for a great price from Silver Ticket. If you can swing a fixed screen - - that's the way to go, IMHO. I have to have an electronic screen over my 75" Sony LCD 900F. If you invest in a good quality screen, it should last at least five years plus. Maybe longer. But if you're like everyone else in the AVS Forum (pretty much everyone) - you'll get the upgrade bug after 5 years. That seems to be a good cycle for vast improvements in technology.

If you are playing a movie (USB - .mkv or other file format) - - it's best to have it physically loaded on a player like a Nvidia Shield or you can use any other player, like Apple+, and attach the USB stick. I run everything through my AVR so it simplifies everything.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’m trying to figure out if I should get the TK700STi as an intermediate upgrade. I’d appreciate any thoughts.

l have an aging HT2050 in a mostly light controlled room, although it is not fully treated (walls and ceiling are a light beige). I’m planning on finally building my dedicated theater space in the coming year, but it might be next spring before I’m seriously looking at projectors for the space. In the meantime, I’d really like to be taking advantage of 120hz 1080p and 4K gaming with my PS5 and XBox Series X. I do about 40% gaming, 30% anime, 30% movies and tv shows. We do also like to use the space for social gathering and social VR (beat saber), so there is significant ambient light during those times.

My wishlist:
  • 4K with good clarity
  • 120hz 1080p
  • Color and contrast mostly aimed at dark room viewing
  • Low latency (20 ms or less ideally)

I have a maximum throw of 12’ or so right now, and the new space will be much further (20+’).

I’d been holding out hope for the Viewsonic PX-728-4K, or maybe whatever the BenQ HT2650i ends up being, to finally be a decent interim projector. Ideally it’d be something I could set up in the dedicated space and still look good. I’m iffy about the super high end projectors not supporting 120hz or low latency, so I might wait a couple years with the interim projector until the super high end supports those features. I think the hinted at next BenQ with the new chip but a solid state light source might be perfect for me, but I’m guessing that’s a 2022 release with how slow projectors move!

Anyway, any thoughts? Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to mention I’m using a Silver Ticket 110” white screen that I think is 1.1 gain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hope someone can help - I'm looking at this one (tk700sti) or the optoma uhd35+ but can't decide which is the better deal here in NZ. Note - I think the uhd35+ is basically the uhd38 version as it is 4000 lumens but they are only offering one of the models over here and are marketing this as the uhd35+.

I can get the tk700sti for NZ $2900 or the optoma uhd35+ for NZ $2300. So, I'm basically trying to work out if the tk700 is worth the extra $600.

I've currently got a half-decent room setup and I'm now using a small philips picopix max that I got through IndieGoGo, so any of these two will be a massive upgrade on that one. This will be for movies and gaming (50/50% split).

From the research I've done, these two models have similar specs but I've heard BenQ tend to make better projectors with better colour accuracy plus offer a 3-year warranty over optoma's 2.

Any advice much appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
I’m trying to figure out if I should get the TK700STi as an intermediate upgrade. I’d appreciate any thoughts.

l have an aging HT2050 in a mostly light controlled room, although it is not fully treated (walls and ceiling are a light beige). I’m planning on finally building my dedicated theater space in the coming year, but it might be next spring before I’m seriously looking at projectors for the space. In the meantime, I’d really like to be taking advantage of 120hz 1080p and 4K gaming with my PS5 and XBox Series X. I do about 40% gaming, 30% anime, 30% movies and tv shows. We do also like to use the space for social gathering and social VR (beat saber), so there is significant ambient light during those times.

My wishlist:
  • 4K with good clarity
  • 120hz 1080p
  • Color and contrast mostly aimed at dark room viewing
  • Low latency (20 ms or less ideally)

I have a maximum throw of 12’ or so right now, and the new space will be much further (20+’).

I’d been holding out hope for the Viewsonic PX-728-4K, or maybe whatever the BenQ HT2650i ends up being, to finally be a decent interim projector. Ideally it’d be something I could set up in the dedicated space and still look good. I’m iffy about the super high end projectors not supporting 120hz or low latency, so I might wait a couple years with the interim projector until the super high end supports those features. I think the hinted at next BenQ with the new chip but a solid state light source might be perfect for me, but I’m guessing that’s a 2022 release with how slow projectors move!

Anyway, any thoughts? Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to mention I’m using a Silver Ticket 110” white screen that I think is 1.1 gain.
I'd look hard at the BenQ X1300i. Your screen is a bit small to really take advantage of true 4K, but the X1300i seems to have excellent gaming potential and a very wide colour gamut to take advantage of HDR feeds:

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
hope someone can help - I'm looking at this one (tk700sti) or the optoma uhd35+ but can't decide which is the better deal here in NZ. Note - I think the uhd35+ is basically the uhd38 version as it is 4000 lumens but they are only offering one of the models over here and are marketing this as the uhd35+.

I can get the tk700sti for NZ $2900 or the optoma uhd35+ for NZ $2300. So, I'm basically trying to work out if the tk700 is worth the extra $600.

I've currently got a half-decent room setup and I'm now using a small philips picopix max that I got through IndieGoGo, so any of these two will be a massive upgrade on that one. This will be for movies and gaming (50/50% split).

From the research I've done, these two models have similar specs but I've heard BenQ tend to make better projectors with better colour accuracy plus offer a 3-year warranty over optoma's 2.

Any advice much appreciated thanks.
The two reviews I've seen of the UHD35 seems, to suggest that it's a better projector than the UHD38 and roughly equal to the TK700STi. If you have the room for a larger screen then I'd be tempted to go for the TK700ST. If you don't need 3D the Viewsonic PX701-4k seems quite competent with the same low lag specs.

Alternatively for less money consider the TH685, X1300i or the GT1080HDR which down sample 4K HDR to 1080P HDR.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Correct, game mode bypasses the internal 4K upscaling and outputs a 1080p image for a 1080p source. I found this was the easiest way to focus the projector. Get a test pattern or a menu with clearly defined text right in the middle of the screen and dial in the sharpness there. Then you can go back to 4K and be assured you have the sharpest possible image.

And yes, a dark, light controlled room. The Tk700STi is part of benQ’s Th/Tk lineup of living room or “home entertainment” models. As distinct from their HT “home theater” models like the HT3550 and HT5550. These models sacrifice lumen output for richer color and better contrast/blacks and typically perform best in a dedicated room.
Would you say there's much contrast/black difference between the tk700sti & the theater models, if you're in a dark room but with white walls? I was hoping the difference wouldn't be that much, as I can't turn my living room into a full cave. My tk700sti gets here Friday, so will be happy to give some opinions soon. Thanks for your review and posts sage11x!

81 - 100 of 202 Posts