AVS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
you should be able to comfortably reduce the brilliant color setting to bring back some color luminance and still have more than enough output to fill that 150” screen (at least in a room with less ambient light).
I have a good amount of ambient light during the day as the room is open on one side and the rest is white. At night we use no lights so its dark but there is a lot of reflections from the wall alone.

I am looking at getting an ALR screen at 1.3 Gain (Elite Aeon), do you think it can comfortably create a crisp and colorful image at 130" - 150", if not I would revert back to 120".
In my testing on an offwhite wall it's obviously a nicer image at 120" (colour and resolution) but in my room that appears a tad small.

I can sit anywhere from 12-14 feet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The two reviews I've seen of the UHD35 seems, to suggest that it's a better projector than the UHD38 and roughly equal to the TK700STi. If you have the room for a larger screen then I'd be tempted to go for the TK700ST. If you don't need 3D the Viewsonic PX701-4k seems quite competent with the same low lag specs.

Alternatively for less money consider the TH685, X1300i or the GT1080HDR which down sample 4K HDR to 1080P HDR.
great thanks for the advice, hadn't even considered the viewsonic but will take a look at it. I'm still leaning towards the tk700sti just might wait for a deal first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone tried swapping the BenQ dongle for a firestick or Chromecast/google tv?

I know the BenQ dongle doesn't have Netflix as it's something to do with Netflix not being certified for projectors (or something along those lines). I already have a 4k firestick but just wondered if the BenQ dongle still has to be connected to actually operate and control the projector.

Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone tried swapping the BenQ dongle for a firestick or Chromecast/google tv?

I know the BenQ dongle doesn't have Netflix as it's something to do with Netflix not being certified for projectors (or something along those lines). I already have a 4k firestick but just wondered if the BenQ dongle still has to be connected to actually operate and control the projector.

Cheers
The dongle is not required at all. Only reasons to use the dongle:
1. There is a nice spot for it.
2. Its integrated into the remote controls of the device.
3. Youtube has HDR and doesn't have HDR on some other devices like Nvidia Shield (even though Netflix does).
4. It's receiving updates.

Also you can download Netflix on the dongle but for some reason it states its not compatible with the remote and we must use a Benq App to control it, which doesn't pair anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The dongle is not required at all. Only reasons to use the dongle:
1. There is a nice spot for it.
2. Its integrated into the remote controls of the device.
3. Youtube has HDR and doesn't have HDR on some other devices like Nvidia Shield (even though Netflix does).
4. It's receiving updates.

Also you can download Netflix on the dongle but for some reason it states its not compatible with the remote and we must use a Benq App to control it, which doesn't pair anyway.
Great thanks for your help.

I've heard you can sideload netflix but I've done this with a Philips picopix max (has the same issues) and the app is barely usable. I know you can use other devices to cast netflix to the projector but the long suffering wife will be using this more than me and she and technology just don't get along! With having three HDMI ports I can chuck the firestick in one of them and then use the ps4 and switch in the others.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
4,433 Posts
***Initial impressions - TK700STi. Well, I was fortunate enough to have an excellent company install my new Silver Ticket 100” 1.1 electronic screen and BenQ projector. These guys were Pro’s - making sure the screen and projector were mounted to studs in my lower ceiling man cave.

1. The projector is crazy bright. I can view the PJ with a little ambient light or almost in a dark environment (still white walls.)

2. Sharper than my older BenQ W1080ST. Pretty quiet in Smart Eco Mode - even though it’s above my head about a foot in front of me.

3. Of all the out of the box settings - I like the Living Room the best. I’d still like a little more punch to the colors like I had with my W1080ST and Darbee Darblet. Looks like there will be a new offshoot of the original Darblet called PXLVision. Pricey, but if it does to a 4K projector what my Darbee Darblet did for my 1080p PJ - it’s a definite buy for me. The extra sharpness and color luminance is a real treat.

4. My Silver Ticket tab-tensioned screen had a crease in the lower right corner. Luckily, my installer Pro’s fixed it as best they could. A 1.1 gain on a white screen might be a little bright - especially in a fully darkened room. I wonder what a grey screen would bring to the black levels. The screen rises and drops nice and quiet. It totally disappears in the casing when retracted.

5. Hey, the picture quality is not that of a higher end LCD and of course an OLED. But - it’s great to have that big screen feeling again. I watched the Bruins/Islanders hockey game and you’re not squinting to see the puck. HDR and 4K content from Netflix looked great via my NVidia Shield Pro. I ran the projector for about five hours tonight. I think it takes some hours to break it in

·
Registered
11 Posts
3. Of all the out of the box settings - I like the Living Room the best. I’d still like a little more punch to the colors like I had with my W1080ST and Darbee Darblet. Looks like there will be a new offshoot of the original Darblet called PXLVision. Pricey, but if it does to a 4K projector what my Darbee Darblet did for my 1080p PJ - it’s a definite buy for me. The extra sharpness and color luminance is a real treat.
Thanks for those details. Color concerns seem to be prevelant in many reviews. For the price bump, was hoping this would be a step up from like the UHD35. Wonder how it would have compared to your W1080ST without the Darbee, to know how much progress has been made over the last seven years between the identically stated 10,000:1 contrast & 96% Rec 709. Other variables no doubt.

·
Premium Member
4,433 Posts
Thanks for those details. Color concerns seem to be prevelant in many reviews. For the price bump, was hoping this would be a step up from like the UHD35. Wonder how it would have compared to your W1080ST without the Darbee, to know how much progress has been made over the last seven years between the identically stated 10,000:1 contrast & 96% Rec 709. Other variables no doubt.
***It’s definitely better than my older W1080ST in terms of clarity and color sans the Darblet. And I mean by a good margin. My W1080ST became unwatchable after 4K, HDR and the various streaming options like Netflix and Amazon. Unfortunately for me and my smaller man cave, I don’t have the space for the throw ratio of the UHD35 or any other PJ that doesn’t match BenQ’s throw ratio. I would have certainly considered the Optoma UHD35 and maybe other PJ’s if I had the space.

But I’m happy I bought the TK700STi and will now optimize the PQ. It’s funny but while this is a brighter picture, spec wise, it isn’t as harsh on my eyes as my older projector. The light dispersion seems more even if that makes any sense. Maybe it‘s due to the improvement of the Silver Ticket screen compared to the cheapo FAVI that crapped out on me. I think I’ll pre-order the PXLVision with the Darbee Darblet built in and see how it works with the new PJ. If it’s anything like the experience with my W1080ST and the older Darblet - - I’ll be a happy camper.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Has anyone given a detailed comparison of tk850 vs tk700? I have had the 850 on
My list since it came out and it has won the battle with every other projector in my price range…. I like the idea that the 700 is native 4K so there is no pixel shift buzz as it will be mounted close to seating position overhead. The input lag is great! Solidly beating the 850 which has poor lag compared to anything. Color is the same? But contrast is better on the 850…. What is the consensus on these 2 projectors?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up about the PXLVision. I had no idea that was even on the horizon. Very pricey for something that only supports up to HDMI 2.0b though. The reason I love my Darbee DVP-5000s is because it was one of the rare A/V products that for me has been good and cheap. At the asking price for the PXLVision, I'm going to expect a much greater improvement than the 1080p version.

·
Premium Member
4,433 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up about the PXLVision. I had no idea that was even on the horizon. Very pricey for something that only supports up to HDMI 2.0b though. The reason I love my Darbee DVP-5000s is because it was one of the rare A/V products that for me has been good and cheap. At the asking price for the PXLVision, I'm going to expect a much greater improvement than the 1080p version.
***Well - it says it’s much more than just the Darbee Darblet. Truth be told, if it does to 4K what the Darblet for 1080p - I’m all in.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Ok, well let us know how it works out. If it's a night and day difference I will consider it, but for $599 in 2021 I would expect a product to have the latest HDMI spec. Hopefully it ships in September as indicated on the website. FYI I read they charge your CC when you preorder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry I've been fighting a sinus infection all day. Have the calibration results now just need to write some words when my head clears up a little. In the meantime, if you're after a little better image in a dimmer room ( probably still too bright for a theater dark room but this IS a high brightness projector ) the TK700STi can benefit from calibration. Reminder: you should NOT copy setting as unit to unit variance means these settings are just as likely to harm than they are to help. I'm posting the settings I've employed for reference. Brightness is still over 100 nits and contrast sits at 1176 dynamic. I'll add a little more context in my review when I'm feeling better but in the meantime check out the hue sat targets vs the luminance targets. This is exactly what the BC feature controls and the effect the white slice has on image creation.

TK700STi

Picture mode: Cinema
Contrast: default
Brightness: default
Brilliant Color: 4

Advanced Color Settings
Gamma: 2.2
Color Temperature
red gain 97​
green gain 96​
blue gain 99​
red offset 251​
green offset 256​
blue offset 250​
Color Management (Hue, Saturation, Gain)
red 178 200 200​
green 170 192 200​
blue 218 199 200​
cyan 168 178 200​
magenta 190 197 200​
yellow 200 186 200​

Light Source: SmartECO

View attachment 3138196
View attachment 3138199 View attachment 3138201
View attachment 3138205
Hi, well done, sage11x this is the best detailed review of the TK700sti I have seen.

As a layman I find calibration results a little confusing. I understand that out of the box this PJ hits 96% of REC 709 does your calibration settings improve on this for you, if so could you tell us the % of REC 709 that you achieved?

And would choosing to set the Brilliant Colour to 0 improve the gamut further?

Many thanks

·
Premium Member
4,433 Posts
Ok, well let us know how it works out. If it's a night and day difference I will consider it, but for $599 in 2021 I would expect a product to have the latest HDMI spec. Hopefully it ships in September as indicated on the website. FYI I read they charge your CC when you preorder.
***I don't think the lack of HDMI 2.1 will affect my decision whatsoever. I understand your point but right now, there isn't anything in HDMI 2.1 that would remotely affect my setup for many, many years.

HDMI Version 2.1: This was launched on 28 November 2017 and added support for higher resolutions and refresh rates. It was a relatively major update as indicated by the move from 2.0 to 2.1 in terms of the revision number.

The main features added within HDMI version 2.1 included:
  • Support added for resolution of 10k at 120 Hz.
  • Capability added for specifying HDR metadata on a scene-by-scene or even a frame-by-frame basis.
  • Display Stream Compression (DSC) 1.2 is used for video formats higher than 8K with 4:2:0 chroma subsampling.
  • Introduction of a new HDMI cable category called 48G to enable cables to be certified to carry the new higher data rates.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm no expert, but isn't it a bit odd when 4k projectors are still listing their rec 709 color gamut % as their only color %? They are basically saying they can't display all the colors even needed for 1080p, but they must think people like to see some % close to 100% of anything, rather than just converting it and admitting their DCI-P3 and Rec.2020 would be far off the 100% mark. With something like the Epson 5050UB reaching almost 100% DCI-P3 vs 71.7% in sage11x's test of the tk700sti in cinema mode (thanks!), it would be nice to easily compare and say projector X has ~30% less colors than projector Y. Understand the size/short throw benefits-use case but other things are still worth comparing. At least as BenQ sees it: "DCI-P3 is the future of color on your screen, there’s no doubt about that....As 4K UHD and ever-improved HDR firmly move from the previous realm of the exotic to the mainstream, DCI-P3 and similarly endowed color spaces become a necessity...That means getting a monitor with an 8-bit panel and just sRGB support right now makes little sense and offers no futureproofing." Is DCI-P3 better than sRGB for gaming?

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Has anyone given a detailed comparison of tk850 vs tk700? I have had the 850 on
My list since it came out and it has won the battle with every other projector in my price range…. I like the idea that the 700 is native 4K so there is no pixel shift buzz as it will be mounted close to seating position overhead. The input lag is great! Solidly beating the 850 which has poor lag compared to anything. Color is the same? But contrast is better on the 850…. What is the consensus on these 2 projectors?
This projector pixel shifts just like the tk850. Also keep in mind that there is no lens shift at all and to achieve that super low input lag, you have to disable keystone adjustments. That really limits your mounting and placement options.

·
Premium Member
4,433 Posts
***Day & Night 2 with the TK700STi. What an absolute joy in having that big screen experience again. There are some scenes in movies that just take your breath away. The sheer size and scope of a larger projection screen can’t be replicated on a LCD or OLED TV. I’m not talking about absolute picture quality, dark blacks or color gamut coverage. I’m just saying that if you are on the fence about any projector setup, whether that be a UST in the living room or lower end PJ or a fully pimped out home theater with dark walls, a higher end projector and screen - - try some way to make it work. You won’t be disappointed.

Now - I don’t have the largest screen (100”) or a dark wall, full blown home theater. I do have an excellent Dolby Atmos 9.1.4 system that includes Front Wide Speakers. My PJ seemed to come alive more with deeper colors and clarity as I watched a movie and some sports last night. The Silver Ticket screen I have is easier on my eyes. Think of it as a soft, evenly dispersed light from the screen. No where as harsh as my previous El Cheapo FAVI screen. When watching non HDR content, I’m using the Living Room mode with both ambient light and all lights off. I have some light from an adjacent office to my right and behind me (a door like opening, no door, with shades drawn down on the left and right. I’ll post a picture.) The brightness is set at 50%, SmartEco mode. I’ll post my “”OOTB” settings shortly. I seem to be watching a lot more with the lights off as that really draws you into the picture.

Correct me if I’m wrong but HDR content is factory set and not modifiable? Anyway - - I’m really enjoying this projector as I step through Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple+ and Hulu streaming content.

Reactions: sage11x

·
Registered
64 Posts
This projector pixel shifts just like the tk850. Also keep in mind that there is no lens shift at all and to achieve that super low input lag, you have to disable keystone adjustments. That really limits your mounting and placement options.
I thought the point of the new larger TI chip was that is was actually full 4K without the pixel shifting buzz. I read there was no buzz and much quieter.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Cheers
Joelster said firestick works on dongle hdmi!!

101 - 120 of 202 Posts