AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 775 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BenQ just announced this model. Some interesting notes from the following article. Appears to be an updated/modified version of the BenQ HT2550. Notable differences are higher brightness and “improved color accuracy”. Color accuracy and contrast are usually a trade off for brightness with single chip DLP designs, hopefully this model will be an exception. Given this is the same price as the HT2550 and being released in April, I’m curious to see what the differences are.
Here’s the Article;

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/circuitbreaker/2018/3/5/17082786/benq-tk800-4k-projector-budget-price-release-date

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Benq website says 10K:1 contrast and RGBW color wheel...will be lower in contrast than previous projectors with RGBRGB color wheels and show more rainbows for those sensitive.

I guess the only way to increase lumens without decreasing contrast is using a laser/LED light source, which increases price. If the LED pj market follows the LED light bulb market we should see a significant decrease in cost and increase in production soon. Course, who wants a pj made by "Member's Mark"? :D

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
Bix, I didn’t see your second thread. Reposting this from the other TK800 thread:

ATTENTION:

So I'm guessing a few AVS members here might be really interested in this...

BenQ is taking submissions for someone to review their latest projector: the TK800! They ask that you submit pictures of your room as the TK800 is intended for use in living rooms / media rooms where light will be present. If you're interested follow the link below:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfHP3560DtIVzeHD_PK23BfDnPhynMvcvCnuI1x4-0h18rmnw/viewform

·
Registered
278 Posts
Talked with a BenQ rep that told me a 4k short throw is in the works, and he expects something in April. This is probably the projector the short throw will be based from. I'm guessing.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,463 Posts
Talked with a BenQ rep that told me a 4k short throw is in the works, and he expects something in April. This is probably the projector the short throw will be based from. I'm guessing.
Probably be a good projector, but unfortunately, these are not 4K.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,463 Posts
Probably be a good projector, but unfortunately, these are not native 4K.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
Probably be a good projector, but unfortunately, these are not native 4K.
Good thing they aren't or else they'd be 5 grand! :)

I'm going to be putting up some pictures this weekend in the HT2550 owners thread (the HT2550 is the RGBRGB dark room version of the TK800) comparing the image of these XPR 4K solutions to a conventional 1080p projector using the 4K copy of Planet Earth II as a demonstration piece. The differences are not subtle and while I don't believe a 4K projector is the right choice for everyone I haven't seen too many good examples of just how dramatic the difference are in a real home with real content.

Reactions: unretarded

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
My first projector 13 years ago was a RGBW color wheel with a power consumption the same as this at around 330w total 240w to the lamp. They are calling this 3000 lumens. I haven’t seen any measurements on color lumens but I’m guessing The combined RGB is about 1200 the rest is coming from the white. Not to say for sports viewing there isn’t benefit to the white to drive up the brightness for improved CR my guess is this will look pretty nice for another 1000 additional lumens so call it 2200 lumens usable. If it is anything like my old RGBW it will keep getting brighter but the colors will get flatter unlike the RGBCYW that get greenish when pushed to hard.

In the spec they claim “>92% Rec.709 coverage”. In the overview they talk about “True 4K HDR for Immersive Live Sports.”

They also talk about “New 4K Color Wheel.”

Good in some ways seeing them go back to basics and market it as the latest thing. :)

·
Registered
8,463 Posts
Good thing they aren't or else they'd be 5 grand! :)

I'm going to be putting up some pictures this weekend in the HT2550 owners thread (the HT2550 is the RGBRGB dark room version of the TK800) comparing the image of these XPR 4K solutions to a conventional 1080p projector using the 4K copy of Planet Earth II as a demonstration piece. The differences are not subtle and while I don't believe a 4K projector is the right choice for everyone I haven't seen too many good examples of just how dramatic the difference are in a real home with real content.
I wonder how these compare on 4k gaming content. It might be even more impressive than the planet earth.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
I wonder how these compare on 4k gaming content. It might be even more impressive than the planet earth.

Video games might be the biggest benefactor although at 50ms the lag is just Ok. As most 4K tentpole games run at 30fps (Shadow of the Colossus, Horizon: Zero Dawn, uncharted: Lost Legacy) the lag isn’t that pronounced. Tests have shown that most gamers are somewhat oblivious up to around 60ms of lag and I doubt many gamers would be able to detect the difference between 33ms and 16ms. But I’m an absolute lag snob and returning to the 16ms of lag on the HT2050A felt a little like taking off combat boots and replacing them with sneakers— especially on high frame rate games like Doom 2016 and Nier: Automata. I just love the immediacy that a low latency display gives to controller inputs. Still, tackling colossi in Shadow’s 4K cinematic mode is a real treat at the sizes a projector can push.

Don’t get me wrong— I agree that a native solution is an ideal solution. But native solutions are still very expensive and these XPR models do a fantastic job of bringing the sharpness and clarity of 4K content into price ranges a lot more people can afford.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I am waiting to see how this will perform in a living room scenario. I have tons of ambient light and need something with lots of lumens to battle ambient light during the day. The 2045 I have now is decent but could use a bit more to help. I almost picked up the UHD60 but 60ms is a bit high for how much gaming I do. Are we assuming this one will be in the 50 range? I would must prefer 30s or less

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hopefully we will see some real world info/testing soon on these. They were slated for April release. Interested to see what the boost in lumens brings

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,471 Posts
I am waiting to see how this will perform in a living room scenario. I have tons of ambient light and need something with lots of lumens to battle ambient light during the day. The 2045 I have now is decent but could use a bit more to help. I almost picked up the UHD60 but 60ms is a bit high for how much gaming I do. Are we assuming this one will be in the 50 range? I would must prefer 30s or less
Have you tried a pro cinema projector? I had a Epson Pro-1985 and it had no problem piercing through heavy amounts of ambient light in my condo. It was the brightest projector I have ever owned.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Have you tried a pro cinema projector? I had a Epson Pro-1985 and it had no problem piercing through heavy amounts of ambient light in my condo. It was the brightest projector I have ever owned.
I have not. Unfortunately the 4k bug has bit me. Otherwise the 3700 would have been my top contender. Dam these 4k projectors becoming somewhat affordable for the average Joe.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hopefully we will see some real world info/testing soon on these. They were slated for April release. Interested to see what the boost in lumens brings

I should have one in hand soon to provide some feedback on... stay tuned...

·
Registered
936 Posts
Keep me posted. I am very interested. Right now it's between this and the px747-4k from viewsonic

Have you checked out the HT2550?

1 - 20 of 775 Posts