AVS Forum banner

761 - 780 of 781 Posts

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
I am experiencing an issue where my TK800 will significantly drop its brightness and at the same time I hear an increasing humming coming from the projector. I though it was a Dynamic Iris because of the button on the remote, but apparently it doesn't actually have one. I have the Light Mode set to Normal.

The source is a Windows 10 PC with an NVidia 1070 Ti.

If I bring up a control panel screen that is primarily white, the brightness will jump up after several seconds. If I close that window, the brightness will drop again after several seconds.

Any clue as to what is going on?

Try turning off smart eco and see if the behavior changes. Hopefully it’s not an issue with the lamp/ballast. I’d also contact BenQ for troubleshooting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Benq TK800 issue

Hi all
I have recently built a home theatre in the basement and put in a tk800 with a grey screen. I’ve noticed that when there is a heavy contrast difference between foreground and background there is a small white halo around said foreground object. Generally this is two different colors competing with each other (Sky with green tees for example). I can get this to go away turning off Brilliant Color but that degrades the image immensely. I have access to a professional spectrometer so perhaps the best outcome is turning off brilliant color and aligning without it but I wanted to see if this is a known issue or perhaps an issue with my unit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Hi all
I have recently built a home theatre in the basement and put in a tk800 with a grey screen. I’ve noticed that when there is a heavy contrast difference between foreground and background there is a small white halo around said foreground object. Generally this is two different colors competing with each other (Sky with green tees for example). I can get this to go away turning off Brilliant Color but that degrades the image immensely. I have access to a professional spectrometer so perhaps the best outcome is turning off brilliant color and aligning without it but I wanted to see if this is a known issue or perhaps an issue with my unit.

Thanks!
How big is the screen, what projection distance, and is this a new projector?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Screen is 92” and is about 12 feet away so the zoom on the projector is right in the sweet spot (middle). The projector is new though yes

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
In quarantine boredom, I picked up a Laserdisc player to mess around with. I'm running it through my Marantz SR6011 which is handling the video processing (comb-filter, A/D, deinterlacing, scaling, etc). I was shocked to find that the TK800 has no ability to zoom for 4:3 non-anamorphic letterbox content.

Am I missing something? Or is this very basic feature I've had on every other widescreen display I've owned for the last 18 years (TVs, projectors, etc) really missing from the TK800?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
In quarantine boredom, I picked up a Laserdisc player to mess around with. I'm running it through my Marantz SR6011 which is handling the video processing (comb-filter, A/D, deinterlacing, scaling, etc). I was shocked to find that the TK800 has no ability to zoom for 4:3 non-anamorphic letterbox content.

Am I missing something? Or is this very basic feature I've had on every other widescreen display I've owned for the last 18 years (TVs, projectors, etc) really missing from the TK800?
Not sure what you mean. What do you mean zoom for 4:3 non anamorphic letterbox content?

Page 29:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/projector_manual_10453.pdf

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Not sure what you mean. What do you mean zoom for 4:3 non anamorphic letterbox content?

Page 29:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/projector_manual_10453.pdf
Content that is letterboxed (black bars top/bottom) to its original theatrical aspect ratio (1.85:1, 2.35:1, etc) within a 4:3 signal... such as laserdisc, early non-anamorphic widescreen DVD, or a widescreen movie shown on an SD TV channel.

As I found, none of the aspect ratio modes available (same as those listed in the manual) will zoom content so the 16:9 area of a 4:3 image fills the screen. Pretty much all 16:9 TVs, even modern 4K sets, have this function... so has every other projector I've ever owned. As such, I'm quite surprised the TK800 lacks it. I get that nowadays this is a much more niche need than it used to be, and I assume that if the TK800 had an analog composite video input it would probably be available, but it's a pretty basic and common feature to be missing.

Looks like my workaround is going to be a cheap AV-to-HDMI converter/scaler run to the XBox One HDMI input and use its TV passthrough which does have full aspect ratio control, including Zoom.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought this unit on sale and just got it delivered last week. I've been playing around with it and don't notice any issues with input lag (console shooters). However, my current TV has input lag in the high 20s so I may not notice it.

I understand the input lag (~44ms) is for [email protected]?

There is no gaming mode on this unit. I'm more or less trying to future proof for next-gen consoles (and I have a highly capable PC for certain genres). Are there any features that can be turned off to decrease input lag? I see there is a "silent mode" that, I believe, forces the projector to run at 1080p. There doesn't seem to be much data for this model to see if this improves the input lag.

I can still return this (though I will take a restocking fee hit) and get the Optoma UHD50X which has lower input lag. I see there are some issues with game mode so the projector is displaying qualities comparable to 1080p. Eventually I will want to game at [email protected] so if the difference is negligible, then it won't matter.

In addition, I am still working on my dedicated theater room. I am going to have to paint the walls again. I am currently projecting on a light blue wall, but I plan on buying an ALR screen or painting a wall. Currently, the picture is very washed out looking. I've messed around with it extensively and I can only assume the reflected light from the projector is messing with the quality. I'm doing a lot of testing in different games rather than movies and tv shows. I haven't messed with the color temperatures or more advanced settings.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I bought this unit on sale and just got it delivered last week. I've been playing around with it and don't notice any issues with input lag (console shooters). However, my current TV has input lag in the high 20s so I may not notice it.

There is no gaming mode on this unit. I'm more or less trying to future proof for next-gen consoles (and I have a highly capable PC for certain genres). Are there any features that can be turned off to decrease input lag? I see there is a "silent mode" that, I believe, forces the projector to run at 1080p. There doesn't seem to be much data for this model to see if this improves the input lag.

I can still return this (though I will take a restocking fee hit) and get the Optoma UHD50X which has lower input lag. I see there are some issues with game mode so the projector is displaying qualities comparable to 1080p. Eventually I will want to game at [email protected] so if the difference is negligible, then it won't matter.

In addition, I am still working on my dedicated theater room. I am going to have to paint the walls again. I am currently projecting on a light blue wall, but I plan on buying an ALR screen or painting a wall. Currently, the picture is very washed out looking. I've messed around with it extensively and I can only assume the reflected light from the projector is messing with the quality. I'm doing a lot of testing in different games rather than movies and tv shows. I haven't messed with the color temperatures or more advanced settings.
Not sure if in silent mode, disabling the actuator, so while in 1080p the lag will be better. But if you want a 1080p model with low lag, there are those.

What's the room dimensions?

Percentage of TV/movies/games?

Regarding washout, is there any ambient light in the room? What ALR screen are you going to buy, it's diagonal, and from what distance will the projector be placed at?

How far away are the walls?

Located in North America?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure if in silent mode, disabling the actuator, so while in 1080p the lag will be better. But if you want a 1080p model with low lag, there are those.

What's the room dimensions?

Percentage of TV/movies/games?

Regarding washout, is there any ambient light in the room? What ALR screen are you going to buy, it's diagonal, and from what distance will the projector be placed at?

How far away are the walls?

Located in North America?

4K is definitely wanted. I probably won't get much use now, but should in the next year or two as these consoles release. I bought this one due to the low input lag, but discovered the Optoma later.

It doesn't seem like there is a gigantic difference between the two running [email protected] in terms of input lag which is great. However, the Optoma is advertised to run better but not sure what is going on with it as reviewers say it no longer runs at 4K.

But I'd love to see if anyone has some numbers for [email protected] for the this BenQ. If I need to play something competitive, it may be nice to be able to lower the input lag.

I generally do 85% gaming when I got that time to myself. It probably flips to 85% movies/tv when the fiance is around. But I am more interested in the gaming aspect. The room dimensions are probably around 13'x40.' The side walls are closer together than I'd like but we had to make do. I'm using the longer part of the room to orient the projector.

There is no ambient light in the room. Just from the projector itself. I have some room to work with in terms of screen size but I'm shooting for 120-135." Not sure of the screen yet, but I believe I was leaning toward some grey material or black material I looked at that claimed to optimize both contrast and ambient light rejection . I'm still in the research phase so I'm open to options that aren't too costly.

And yes, I'm in North America.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
4K is definitely wanted. I probably won't get much use now, but should in the next year or two as these consoles release. I bought this one due to the low input lag, but discovered the Optoma later.

It doesn't seem like there is a gigantic difference between the two running [email protected] in terms of input lag which is great. However, the Optoma is advertised to run better but not sure what is going on with it as reviewers say it no longer runs at 4K.

But I'd love to see if anyone has some numbers for [email protected] for the this BenQ. If I need to play something competitive, it may be nice to be able to lower the input lag.

I generally do 85% gaming when I got that time to myself. It probably flips to 85% movies/tv when the fiance is around. But I am more interested in the gaming aspect. The room dimensions are probably around 13'x40.' The side walls are closer together than I'd like but we had to make do. I'm using the longer part of the room to orient the projector.

There is no ambient light in the room. Just from the projector itself. I have some room to work with in terms of screen size but I'm shooting for 120-135." Not sure of the screen yet, but I believe I was leaning toward some grey material or black material I looked at that claimed to optimize both contrast and ambient light rejection . I'm still in the research phase so I'm open to options that aren't too costly.

And yes, I'm in North America.
I don't think the UHD50x or any other 4K DLP projector is capable of the lag the UHD50x is claiming, irrespective of updates.

Wall reflections cause washout:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-diy-screen-section/

Dark paints are a solution, but dark fabrics are much better.

Problem is 4K DLP have very poor contrast to begin with. Besides room treatment, the only way to fix this issue is a contrast enhancing screen. Matte grey screens will do little to help with this issue and ambient light. Not sure what the black screen is you're referring to. ALR screens require 1.9x throw ratio to avoid artifacts. The TK800 has up to 1.76x. It could be fine. But an ALR screen that large is expensive, unless you buy the fabric and build a frame.

A custom paint mix applied on the wall or a cheap screen is also a solution.

The image could be washed out also because of incorrect settings. Use a calibration disc to set the black and white floors, and set the color space correctly:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-d...on-hc-3200-3800-revealed-15.html#post59005708
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-d...on-hc-3200-3800-revealed-16.html#post59006190

Maybe try the lamp in Eco.

For alternatives:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-d...msrp/3160600-benq-tk850-vs-hc3800-hc4010.html

A screen size should be chosen after you've spent some time with the projector on a wall.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Regarding gaming lag. I can't give you any more technical details but perhaps I can give a new (or reinforced) viewpoint?

If a projector forces you into 1080p in order to get lower lag, you might as well just save some money and buy a fantastic 1080p projector with low lag.
No point in 4k if you can't use 4k.

On the flip side, 4k projectors that correctly display 4k at low levels of input lag seem not be here right now. Maybe in a year or three? The industry does seem to be pushing toward that ideal lately so hopefully there will be more options soon.
Could keep the BenQ TK800M and just focus on making sure the rest of your setup is ready for 4k/60 or 4k/120 and then polish it off in a year or two by selling the BenQ and buying a solid low lag 4k projector then?

Just brainstorming!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Regarding gaming lag. I can't give you any more technical details but perhaps I can give a new (or reinforced) viewpoint?

If a projector forces you into 1080p in order to get lower lag, you might as well just save some money and buy a fantastic 1080p projector with low lag.
No point in 4k if you can't use 4k.

On the flip side, 4k projectors that correctly display 4k at low levels of input lag seem not be here right now. Maybe in a year or three? The industry does seem to be pushing toward that ideal lately so hopefully there will be more options soon.
Could keep the BenQ TK800M and just focus on making sure the rest of your setup is ready for 4k/60 or 4k/120 and then polish it off in a year or two by selling the BenQ and buying a solid low lag 4k projector then?

Just brainstorming!
I think I will be using this unit for a few years and then see if upgrading is worthwhile. I went pretty cheap this time but I'll likely go into the 3k range next time.

Plus I'll be spending nearly 700-800bucks to "upgrade" to the Optoma which doesn't seem to do what it is advertised to do. With that type of savings I can outright buy another projector at 1080p with low input lag.

Not to say the BenQ has poor input lag. I chose it specifically because it was one of the better choices so there is a good chance I may not need to worry about about it too much. Still holding out on silent mode increasing performance which would be an awesome perk (basically what the Optoma seems to do).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any idea how I can access the service menu for the TK800 ? I assume it could be similar to the HT2550 / W1700, or even TK800m.
Thanks for any help!
For anyone interested, i just found out how to access the service menu of the TK800 (similar to other benq models actually):
1) Press "menu"
2) Go to "information" tab
3) up, down, up, down, up, down then hit ok

anyone knows of interesting tweaks to do from there?

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
For anyone interested, i just found out how to access the service menu of the TK800 (similar to other benq models actually):
1) Press "menu"

I guess you could turn on access to the ISF modes.

·
Registered
189 Posts
1) Press "menu"

This actually works on the PX747 as well.
I just tried it out of s**ts and giggles. I think the OS on these are all closely related.

Reactions: DunMunro

·
Registered
189 Posts
Anything interesting in the service menu?
A lot of settings I don't feel comfortable changing. It looks like this is where you'd go to flash firmware possibly too. I didn't see or at least didn't initially find any hidden modes but then again there are 10 menus with lots of stuff down to even fan speeds and thermistor readouts.

Attachments

Reactions: DunMunro
761 - 780 of 781 Posts