AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
To be clear, this light canon of a projector, when used for watching movies especially at night, will deliver less-than-ideal contrast and black levels?

This pj sounds interesting, especially since we host weekly football parties during NFL season. We have to sit in almost darkness for my Epson 8345 to look decent, so that makes the TK800M sound VERY appealing.

BUT, even more important than hosting football parties, I want a pj with outstanding contrast and black levels for nighttime movie watching in a dark room.

It sounds like the 800M would be too much of a compromise for nighttime movie watching. Is that accurate?

I'm leaning toward the Sony 45es for the black levels, knowing that I'd be sacrificing daytime viewing flexibility, especially the football parties, as well as limiting myself to 1080p for another few years.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes, I have 140" and perfect
That is the size of my screen too... how far back do you have it mounted? Does it have any vertical adjustment at all? The reason I ask is that I have lowish ceiling and screen is 4" to top. Calculator says highest you can mount is 6.8.....

·
Registered
163 Posts
To be clear, this light canon of a projector, when used for watching movies especially at night, will deliver less-than-ideal contrast and black levels?

This pj sounds interesting, especially since we host weekly football parties during NFL season. We have to sit in almost darkness for my Epson 8345 to look decent, so that makes the TK800M sound VERY appealing.

BUT, even more important than hosting football parties, I want a pj with outstanding contrast and black levels for nighttime movie watching in a dark room.

It sounds like the 800M would be too much of a compromise for nighttime movie watching. Is that accurate?

I'm leaning toward the Sony 45es for the black levels, knowing that I'd be sacrificing daytime viewing flexibility, especially the football parties, as well as limiting myself to 1080p for another few years.
That's the problem. They're all a compromise and it's impossible to say what's an acceptable compromise to another person.
I have a TK800 which to all intents and purposes is the same as the TK800M. When I watch sports with friends with lights on, or when I play games from the Xbox etc, I think it's amazing.
When I turn the lights off, I wish the blacks were better and I wish there was more shadow detail, but it's not a light controlled room and all DLPs are compromised in this respect.

So, it really does depend on your environment and what your genuine usage is likely to be. I don't know how the Epson compares to any of these projectors so I can't help there.
It sounds like your priority is contrast and black levels, in which case you should probably get the HT3550.

However, if you're not really interested in 4k, then by all accounts the Sony 45es is an outstanding projector in every way, so you'd probably me more than happy with that, especially for dark room viewing.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Reactions: Dano2

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Just posted my video review ... and by video review I mean me talking to myself for 20 minutes.

·
Registered
511 Posts
@;

Just received my tk800m

There appears to be no lens cap? Can anyone recommend one as well as a bag for it?

It’s sharpness and colors are outstanding. Blacks not better than my old w1070. But they are not great on my 75nu8000 either
Have to wait for oleds to become cheaper at bigger sizes.

Debating whether to keep it or wait for the rumored brighter version of ht3550.. will test drive it tonight w GOT

·
Registered
369 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
It has Smarteco, which is BenQ's form of Dynamic Lamp Dimming and it has the added benefit of increasing lamp life.
Thanks.

Do you know if this feature was also included in the previous model, tk800?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,

Same as Ensyed, mine did not come with a lens cap

Also I seem to still have a grey border? Or border of some sort?

Plus my focus wheel does not focus rather it zooms and my zoom wheel focuses.

Rather odd.

Border seems to be about an inch from edge of actual content all sides.

Anyone facing similar issues/has any ideas appreciate the help.

Thanks

EF

·
Registered
218 Posts
HUGE price drop on this projector right now. I cannot give details, in respect for forum rules. 25% drop, though! I will probably be getting this week.

·
Registered
643 Posts
@scottyroo

So after all is said and done I keep coming back to this PJ.

I think I'm willing to forgive the green tint hut the TK800 had some weird anti-aliasing or something weird that messed with 3D and made it blurry or something.

I don't know if you know what I mean but the 3550 didn't do this at all. Do you know what I'm talking about and if the 800M fixed this?

On all these 4K units all the reviews skip doing any kind of 3D review and it's so annoying.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
@scottyroo

So after all is said and done I keep coming back to this PJ.

I think I'm willing to forgive the green tint hut the TK800 had some weird anti-aliasing or something weird that messed with 3D and made it blurry or something.

I don't know if you know what I mean but the 3550 didn't do this at all. Do you know what I'm talking about and if the 800M fixed this?

On all these 4K units all the reviews skip doing any kind of 3D review and it's so annoying.
The TK800M splits the difference between the TK800 and HT3550. Its better than the TK800 with the green, but more than the HT3550. For as much as you have been concerned about it, I would highly recommend just calibrating the green out of the image. It shouldn't be that difficult to do.

·
Registered
643 Posts
The TK800M splits the difference between the TK800 and HT3550. Its better than the TK800 with the green, but more than the HT3550. For as much as you have been concerned about it, I would highly recommend just calibrating the green out of the image. It shouldn't be that difficult to do.
Ok, but I'm also asking about image clarity.

The original 800 had some weird blurry processing or something, I think your original review may have mentioned it even.

81 - 100 of 168 Posts