AVS Forum banner

121 - 140 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
What HDMI cable are you using. I was having the same trouble with my Xbox (and a Denon receiver) until I made sure all my cable were all at least HDMI 2.0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am using hdmi 2.0 tried after changing hdmi cable but no use plugged it in my lgc9 tv works perfectly with the same hdmi wire

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am using hdmi 2.0 tried after changing hdmi cable but no use plugged it in my lgc9 tv works perfectly with the same hdmi wire

Try using an HDMI “in” closer to the main HDMI “out” on the back of the receiver. The farther away you are, there might be a speed drop. So use input #1 or #2 instead of the named “game” input which is #5 .

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just came here to say: WOW the super bowl looked great with HDR on my TK800M. Everyone was very impressed. The colors popped like I have never seen before. (First time with an projector that can do 4K/HLG) Especially the on screen graphics. Absolutely zero motion blur.

Only downside....had to buy a FireStick 4K to get the stream. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you don't like the side lighting...you are going to hate what I just finished. But that's ok, because I love it. No plans to make it a 'dedicated' dark room. I think the picture quality is excellent for me. We have been able to keep massive amounts of light on while watching a basketball game. This allows the room to be used for many things at the same time.
What led setup did you use for this? I'm interested in doing a similar setup.

Looks great!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just received my new TK800M and put it into my ceiling mount.

Installation and setup was easy as cake.

It is really SUPER.

My regular D* channels are superbly sharp and bright even with my living room blinds all open on a sunny Arizona day.

Taking a look at some of the 4K content on Youtube is spectacular.

My choice of a replacement projector was based in large part on the participants on this board and the testing and reporting of all involved here, especially Scotty's and Sage's input on new offerings.

Now all I have to do is find a new home for my 5030UB which has served me well up to now.

Thanks guys!

Jim

·
Registered
32 Posts
Got the fabric installed on my wood frame. First time really putting the TK800M through it's paces.

First thoughts -- it's bright, which I appreciate. Cinema and football modes will be used the most. If I turn on 'bright' mode it simply takes away too much contrast for my liking.

Hoping to catch some football this weekend and do a bit of gaming to see if I can tolerate the lag.

What do you think?

Wow they look great! How does it look like if you turn on more of your lights? Like in a living room setup

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I'm not aware of any projector that does.
I have the Benq W1500 1080p Projector from around 2013 when 3d was still pretty big, and and it does 2D to 3D conversion beautifully. The algorithm Benq uses for this feature works better than on other 3D tv's and bluray players that I experimented with prior to getting this projector.

I don't know if any current Benq 4k projectors have it, and that's why I'm asking. It seems with these projectors still being in their infancy with 4K/HDR, that 3D is just now being tacked back onto the 4K projectors.

But having owned one of the best 3D projectors produced by them that is packed with support for all 3D formats and very, very good 2D to 3D conversion (not to mention lens shift) - I'd hate to give that up for a projector lacking the features I'm looking for.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just purchased the tk800m after year+ of waiting for Epson to make a smaller compact pixel shifter sadly they did not. I shall give this a try as my daily driver I'm wondering how many real lamp hours people are getting with these units.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello everyone. I guess this is proper TK800M owner's thread. So, I just purchased TK800M and this is my first projector ever, replacing my old dying Sony XBR-65X900A. My source is PC connected to HDMI 2.0 port on the projector. The text and icons in Windows looks blurry and fuzzy. I tried to switch on HDR in Windows, but it makes it even worse. The videos look good, sharp and clear. The BenQ menu also looks crisp.

My setup is: White wall (didn't buy the screen, yet), diagonal ~90", throw distance ~2.9 m (9.5 ft), viewing distance ~3 m (9.8 ft).
Windows 10 2004, scale 200%. Titan X (Maxwell) GPU. Nvidia Settings [email protected]

Does anyone has their projector connected to PC? Is that blurry text and icons something what I'll have to live with or am I missing something?

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Hello everyone. I guess this is proper TK800M owner's thread. So, I just purchased TK800M and this is my first projector ever, replacing my old dying Sony XBR-65X900A. My source is PC connected to HDMI 2.0 port on the projector. The text and icons in Windows looks blurry and fuzzy. I tried to switch on HDR in Windows, but it makes it even worse. The videos look good, sharp and clear. The BenQ menu also looks crisp.

My setup is: White wall (didn't buy the screen, yet), diagonal ~90", throw distance ~2.9 m (9.5 ft), viewing distance ~3 m (9.8 ft).
Windows 10 2004, scale 200%. Titan X (Maxwell) GPU. Nvidia Settings [email protected]

Does anyone has their projector connected to PC? Is that blurry text and icons something what I'll have to live with or am I missing something?
Text should be sharp. Try 4K 30Hz; does that help?

What does the projector report as the incoming signal?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
@scottyroo

So after all is said and done I keep coming back to this PJ.

On all these 4K units all the reviews skip doing any kind of 3D review and it's so annoying.
VERY annoying. You'll get pages of every setting, pixel, nit, etc. But never a word about 3D performance. No idea how units compare in brightness. Heck, dont even know what pjs have user-adjustable 3d depth settings.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Text should be sharp. Try 4K 30Hz; does that help?

What does the projector report as the incoming signal?
Today I looked with the fresh eyes. Maybe after my 4K Sony TV the text looked not so sharp on projected desktop, but it's mostly to do with the contrast, I guess, as black text on white background looks like grey text. So I will play with some settings or get used to it. The text is pretty readable.

In regards to the blurriness I noticed that text and icons are getting blurry towards the edge of the screen, especially left side. And since all my icons are located on the edges of the desktop, they looks blurry. I tried to move a random icon around the desktop and in the center of the screen it is sharp. I tried to reposition projector's menu to check and, yes, in the center of the screen the menu is sharp, but in the corners not so, especially in the left bottom corner (see the picture). So, I believe I need to adjust projector perpendicularity better.
P.S. Switching to 30Hz doing no good and it is not the source of the problem, as we found out.

Attachments

Reactions: DunMunro

·
Registered
19 Posts
VERY annoying. You'll get pages of every setting, pixel, nit, etc. But never a word about 3D performance. No idea how units compare in brightness. Heck, dont even know what pjs have user-adjustable 3d depth settings.
I second this. I'm also big fan of 3D and bought that pj with 3D in mind. I had to replace my dying 4K Sony 65X900A which had nice passive 3D. I was trying to catch any used 2016 LG 4K OLED 3D 65", but with no luck. That's why I went into pj territory and was trying to choose between BenQ TK800M and HT3550 (W2700). I didn't find any deep review regrading 3D performance on both, but in general I understood that TK800M would be better for 3D because of its higher brightness, so I went for it.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Unfortunately, I didn't manage to try 3D, because my 3D glasses didn't arrive, yet. As I understood only BenQ DGD5 would not have sync issues on TK800M, but it's very difficult to find them. I found one local online retailer, who apparently have them in stock, but it appeared that he has different "BenQ" glasses with rectangular lenses (see on the picture attached). He promised me that he will get me genuine BenQ DGD5 (with oval lenses) in 12 days.

Speaking of those rectangular BenQ glasses. What are they? Some old model? Or some fake? I see them on Aliexpress and eBay, but not DGD5 model. Are they good or DGD5 are much better?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Unfortunately, I didn't manage to try 3D, because my 3D glasses didn't arrive, yet. As I understood only BenQ DGD5 would not have sync issues on TK800M, but it's very difficult to find them. I found one local online retailer, who apparently have them in stock, but it appeared that he has different "BenQ" glasses with rectangular lenses (see on the picture attached). He promised me that he will get me genuine BenQ DGD5 (with oval lenses) in 12 days.

Speaking of those rectangular BenQ glasses. What are they? Some old model? Or some fake? I see them on Aliexpress and eBay, but not DGD5 model. Are they good or DGD5 are much better?
I thought it works with any DLP glasses. Be great if some could recommend a few alternatives.

Found a review of the 850 which actually includes 3D evaluation. That's rare (although at least one reviewer on this site included 3D when reviewing another model).

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews...ors/benq-tk850-ultra-hd-dlp-projector-review/

·
Registered
19 Posts
I thought it works with any DLP glasses. Be great if some could recommend a few alternatives.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews...ors/benq-tk850-ultra-hd-dlp-projector-review/
Yes, they will work with any glasses, but how it was reported by several knowledgeable members here, cheap 3rd party DLP-Link glasses have issues with synchronization with BenQ TK800(M). Apparently because TK800(M) is too bright for their sensors and during bright scenes they tend to lost connection. As reported, the problem is going away when using original BenQ glasses.

You can check this great review of @sage11x about TK800, which is basically older, but almost same model as TK800M. In that review he is reviewing 3D and specifically explaining regarding the glasses.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-d...enq-tk800-4k-hdr-projector-review-thread.html

·
Registered
19 Posts
Found a review of the 850 which actually includes 3D evaluation. That's rare (although at least one reviewer on this site included 3D when reviewing another model).

The closer to TK800M from the same web-site would be review for TK800
https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews...ors/benq-tk800-ultra-hd-dlp-projector-review/

These are 3D measurements from the same web-site (https://hometheaterhifi.com) for three BenQ PJs:
TK800: "I also measured the 3D mode and recorded 41 nits white, .1849 nits black, and a contrast ratio of 222.1:1. The TK800 is one of the brightest 3D projectors I’ve ever reviewed. It’s also the first to measure zero in the crosstalk test."
TK850: "Light output in 3D mode is decent with 31.1589 nits white, .0677 nit black and 460.3:1 contrast. This is without bulb throttling or the auto-iris. 3D crosstalk was a super-low .04%."
HT3550 (W2700): "HT3550 provides good output of 22.9782 nits white, .0152 nits black, and 1507.7:1 contrast. You’ll want to set the lamp on Normal and the Dynamic Iris on. Crosstalk is a scant .04 percent, completely invisible."

·
Registered
19 Posts
These are 3D measurements from the same web-site (https://hometheaterhifi.com) for three BenQ PJs:
TK800: "I also measured the 3D mode and recorded 41 nits white, .1849 nits black, and a contrast ratio of 222.1:1. The TK800 is one of the brightest 3D projectors I’ve ever reviewed. It’s also the first to measure zero in the crosstalk test."
TK850: "Light output in 3D mode is decent with 31.1589 nits white, .0677 nit black and 460.3:1 contrast. This is without bulb throttling or the auto-iris. 3D crosstalk was a super-low .04%."
HT3550 (W2700): "HT3550 provides good output of 22.9782 nits white, .0152 nits black, and 1507.7:1 contrast. You’ll want to set the lamp on Normal and the Dynamic Iris on. Crosstalk is a scant .04 percent, completely invisible."
Looking at those measurements from my previous post - what would be better for 3D - highest brightness (TK800(M) or highest contrast (HT3550 (W2700))? Or something in between (TK850)? Can knowledgeable members elaborate?

121 - 140 of 174 Posts