AVS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
BenQ TK800M not able to display HDR

Hello All,
I decided to pick this pj up after it dropped in price. I currently have a BenQ 1080p unit that I love, so I thought this would be a great fit.
I hung it earlier today and I am unable to get my XBox One X to recognize it's ability to do HDR. HDR was recognized on my PS4 base unit, but did not display. Youtube also did not show HDR on HDR labeled cliped, but the color was way off on darker scenes. Other than that, it looked sharper than any projector I have seen.

My question is, could this be the cable I am using not allowing HDR? It is showing as 4k/60fps, but the XB1X is saying my display cannot do HDR 10 or Dolby Vision. When I initially started the unit, the screen would flash on the botton half - just a pure flash of white, but it went away after I allowed 4K on the XB1.

This was the big feature to get me to purchase this projector. If it doesn't work, I see no need to keep it. Sure, it's sharp, but even on a 120" screen, the 4K resolution I was looking at didn't seem that significant over the 1080p I already am used to. For reference, I have the BenQ HT1070A - a unit that has really blown me away considering how little I spent on it. This TK800M is nice, but I really expected a larger step up - it aint there.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
614 Posts
The 1131 does not pass hdr i believe. Might be limiting even more. If you bypass the receiver does the hdr and stuff work?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
669 Posts
The 1131 does not pass hdr i believe. Might be limiting even more. If you bypass the receiver does the hdr and stuff work?

How would I bypass the receiver for HDR yet have it pick up Atmos, 5.1, 7.1, etc.?

Bummer if it's the receiver as I love it and don't want to have to upgrade just for HDR.

Thanks for the help!!!

·
Registered
614 Posts
HD fury, dedicated BD player with 2nd HDMI out or bypass the receiver and use the optical out for audio

·
Registered
19 Posts
You can use an HDMI switch like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZNKF7C8/

that has ARC, so HDMI Out 1 is ARC to the receiver and Out 2 to the projector.

ARC doesn't support lossless formats like Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD. Therefore no lossless Atmos (based on Dolby TrueHD) through ARC. Only lossy Atmos based on Dolby Digital+ can be sent through ARC.

The support of lossless formats is present in eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel) only.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, I have a Pioneer VSX-1131 receiver.
Thanks

As per specifications Pioner VSX-1131 supports and can pass-through HDR and BT.2020.
https://intl.pioneer-audiovisual.com/find_by_category/docs/[email protected]_HR.pdf

Maybe you need to allow it (switch on) somewhere in the settings.

·
Registered
669 Posts
As per the pdf it supports it only on HDMI 1/2/3 in and both outs

Thanks Scoobdude for the help. I looked and my XB1X was not on the right HDMI input (2.2). Tried again this morning and the XBox recognized all formats of 4K and HDR with the exception of Dolby Vision. All that said, I am still going to return the projector. I need it back another six inches and the way the zoom and focus work is very odd. I was able to zoom out and fill my 120" screen but could not focus. I would have to move my mount and I don't have much room to work with.

My thoughts are still that it is insanely sharp but for my setup - a 98% light controlled room - it is too bright. I am now thinking the HT2550 or Ht3550 are a better fit for my setup. I don't need the brightness and the colorwheel would be a step up. I also need that extra bit of placement flexibility to make it work for me. I have about 13-13.25' max to work with.

I think I'll hold out for a refurb unit on the HT2550. I still feel 4K pj's are just a couple years out from being where they need to be so I don't want to go all in just yet (true 4k/LED/HDR that isn't a compromise). Anyone have any luck with refurbs from BenQ?

Thanks again for all the help!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Any recommendations for mount for BenQ TK800M

Interested to know if someone can please recommend a good mount for BenQ TK800M

·
Registered
103 Posts
s06:
I use this Peerless for mine. Easy installation and nice gear-like adjustments.

Peerless-AV PRG-UNV

On Amazon, B&H, and others.

·
Registered
67 Posts
s06:
I use this Peerless for mine. Easy installation and nice gear-like adjustments.

Peerless-AV PRG-UNV

On Amazon, B&H, and others.

Thanks. BenQ TK800M has this weird 3 screws placed in triangle shape, looks like this mount has 4 screws, do you know how does that work? Looks like i will also need to purchase extension column pipe?

·
Registered
103 Posts
s06:

You'll probably need an extension pipe. The length is based on your setup.

You can just remove one of the mounting arms from the mount for the 800M.

I guess I did that for mine.

But the mount has everything that you would want or need.

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Bought this one, no instructions, no screws to mount on dry wall and cannot rotate so returned it. Installation looked straight forward but i couldn't figure out how to turn or align this.

You should be able to find the installation guide by doing a search for it.
Screws to mount to your ceiling are yours to provide.
How do you want to rotate it????

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Bought this one, no instructions, no screws to mount on dry wall and cannot rotate so returned it. Installation looked straight forward but i couldn't figure out how to turn or align this.

The above image shows +/- 5 deg rotation.

To mount on drywall, you need to find a stud or joist with a studfinder and mount to the stud using ~3in wood screws. You can make a mounting plate out of 3/4in plywood or pine shelving to better centre the mount on the screen. Cut the plate to ~20in length and attach it to two studs (drilling through the drywall) or joists using 4 x ~3.5in wood screws (two per stud/joist) and then attach the mount to the plate using 3/4in wood screws.

I've been under the weather for a few days.

I have used two of these and they worked very well for my W1070 and HC2030:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00COF74G2/

The mount I gave as an example seems very similar but without the extension.

This is a variant of the above:

https://smile.amazon.com/QualGear-QG-PM-002-WHT-Universal-Projector-Ceiling/dp/B0052YQE7C

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just wanted to give an update in case if anyone else is looking for a mount. I instead bought Vivo projector mount, excellent mount, much much better quality than the other one. It has 1000+ reviews and quite few installation videos which was BIG Help for me because this will be the first time installing. I have used Vivo mounts before and they are very good quality. It is only few $$ more than this one but worth it, they also have one with extend pole for less than $20. All in all very happy, i installed it today it is very sturdy and looks great.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01013QA86/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

141 - 160 of 174 Posts