AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy my first projector and would like some help!

All of these measurements are somewhat flexible.

Seating distance: ~ 10.5 - 11.5'
PJ Installation: ceiling @ 11 - 13.5'
Screen size: 100+ (will go with whatever is comfortable). Am planning on a DIY spandex screen (white over black).
Connection: Everything into a Denon X6700H, then to projector

The room is in the basement and there are two windows with blackout shades. Everything is white though. The walls, ceiling, carpet... Yes, I am well aware that treatment will help significantly, and it's possible that one day I'll be able to do a deep blue on the walls. As it is now though, it's white. Right now I'm looking for something that'll work the best with what I have and should I be able to treat the room in the future, the picture quality will only be improved.

Usage: 50% sports, 30% movies, 20% games (*not* competitive, I don't know if I'd notice 200ms+ lag). This is just a guess though, for all I know it'll be an even split, or perhaps more games.

Budget: Under 1.7k USD preferably.

Contenders:

TK850 - This seemed to check all of my boxes. DLP is good for sports though if I could have better blacks, I'd take them. I don't have the practical experience to know if that's possible given my white walls. Additionally the high lag is just not something I have a feel for. Would I or anyone else playing games notice?

HC3800 - Overall seemed better for movies & games than the TK850. So if my usage was an even split, this seemed like a better choice. However, its lack of availability and also knowing that it can suffer from focus issues led me to the HC4010.

HC4010 - Biggest negative is the HDMI 1.4 port limitation.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
595 Posts
My experience
BENQ W1070
LG PF1500
EPSON 3200

Benq less than 709 color. Decently bright and longer bulb life than the epsons but also had a small light border i believe.

Epson 3200 should look great and is a great compromise between the two (benq 850/epson 4010). Has upgraded eshift vs 4010 and full 18gb hdmi ports. The lens issue is poor alignment. The owners thread has puerile saying they solved it by aiming it correctly. The lens shift gives shot if flexibility chipboard to the dlp models in this price range. The 3800 is speculative on being better. The power consumption listed in the manual is different between the two so imho I think the extra power goes to brighten the bulb hence more contrast. But the 3200 is plenty bright in my light grey/light hardwood floor room on eco with some light coming in.

Epson 4010 should have better dci p3 coverage with the filter but has the older eshift and less hdr adjustment vs the 3200/3800. The limitation on the hdmi ports are also a bummer but can somewhat be worked around with something like an hdfury from what i read.

Also look into a refurb 5040 instead of the 4010. Everything is almost the same but has the bigger ultra black panels. Same hdmi limitations though. And power supply issues.

best color: 5040/4010 > 3800/3200 > tk850
Brightness: 3800> 3200> tk850> 4010/5040
Lag: epson > benq
Blacks: 5040> 4010> 3800> 3200> tk850
Sharpness: benq> epson (subjective at distance)

I am going off memory so verify this. This is also an article comparing the 4010 to the 3800.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Looking to buy my first projector and would like some help!

All of these measurements are somewhat flexible.

Seating distance: ~ 10.5 - 11.5'
PJ Installation: ceiling @ 11 - 13.5'
Screen size: 100+ (will go with whatever is comfortable). Am planning on a DIY spandex screen (white over black).
Connection: Everything into a Denon X6700H, then to projector

The room is in the basement and there are two windows with blackout shades. Everything is white though. The walls, ceiling, carpet... Yes, I am well aware that treatment will help significantly, and it's possible that one day I'll be able to do a deep blue on the walls. As it is now though, it's white. Right now I'm looking for something that'll work the best with what I have and should I be able to treat the room in the future, the picture quality will only be improved.

Usage: 50% sports, 30% movies, 20% games (*not* competitive, I don't know if I'd notice 200ms+ lag). This is just a guess though, for all I know it'll be an even split, or perhaps more games.

Budget: Under 1.7k USD preferably.

Contenders:

TK850 - This seemed to check all of my boxes. DLP is good for sports though if I could have better blacks, I'd take them. I don't have the practical experience to know if that's possible given my white walls. Additionally the high lag is just not something I have a feel for. Would I or anyone else playing games notice?

HC3800 - Overall seemed better for movies & games than the TK850. So if my usage was an even split, this seemed like a better choice. However, its lack of availability and also knowing that it can suffer from focus issues led me to the HC4010.

HC4010 - Biggest negative is the HDMI 1.4 port limitation.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Source for movies?

What types of games are you playing? The TK850 has between 60-80ms, which for some people it's a lot.

With that much sports a bright DLP projector would be nice, such as an Optoma UHD52ALV. It's brighter than the TK850, but no iris so not as good contrast/blacks. Same lag, quieter, sharper.

HC3200 has very poor native contrast, even if it has an active iris.

The issue with the HC3800's blurriness is mostly an issue if you're reading lots of text on the projector.

The 5040UB/HC4010's 10GB HDMI vs. 18:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/3152120-building-home-theater-benq-ht3550-projector-something-else.html#post59777804

A projector with good contrast/black level will still perform well in dark scenes because there is less light reflected around the room to affect the image. It's still affected though.
https://projectiondream.com/en/contrast-projector-environment/

Two videos. One with an extreme motion handling test, the other with a lag test vs a HT3550 50-60ms. Epson is on the right.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Movies source are BluRay rips played back via CoreElec / Kodi. Additionally some streaming services. Sports sources are also via streaming sources although occasionally there are some downloads at higher quality levels. This actually made me realize I don't have a streaming source identified yet for this setup, so perhaps an nvidia shield or something like that would ultimately get attached to the AVR.

Games are both console (switch, ps4) and PC where the types of games are racing (mario kart, F1 201N) and action-adventure (assassin's creed, tomb raider).

No plans to use the projector as a PC desktop display, so good to know that's really where the fuzziness comes into play.

Right now leaning pretty heavily towards the HC3800...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Right now leaning pretty heavily towards the HC3800...
I went through a similar decision process and I ended up with the 3800. Super happy with it so far. I feel like it's got the best overall balance of features/specs/performance at this price range to satisfy an array of uses. While other projectors or technologies (i.e. 3lcd vs dlp etc) might do one thing or another better, I came to the conclusion that the 3800 was the most well balanced and even better in many of the categories.

Specifically I was comparing to the TK850 and ultimately I feel for my use the 3800 was superior in most categories (based on reading and watching many reviews), the one exception being sharpness, (as explained by a combo of display tech, dlp vs 3lcd and on screen resolution, 4m pixels vs 8m) and perhaps motion handling, but it's not like the 3800 is bad in either of these categories while it excels significantly in others like color brightness, contrast/blacks, rbe, and lag to name a few.

In regards to sharpness I even read/watched several reviews that stated 3800 looked equally as sharp at proper viewing distance, and subjectively the picture quality of the 3800 was even better due to the additional video processing afforded by having the lower pixel count to process. The one caveat to that would be text as mentioned above, so the 3800 would be not as good for say reading web pages or word docs when used as an external monitor from a PC.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went through a similar decision process and I ended up with the 3800. Super happy with it so far. I feel like it's got the best overall balance of features/specs/performance at this price range to satisfy an array of uses. While other projectors or technologies (i.e. 3lcd vs dlp etc) might do one thing or another better, I came to the conclusion that the 3800 was the most well balanced and even better in many of the categories.

Thank you, that is so great to know. It really does seem like a better all-rounder and considering I don't really know what the usage is ultimately going to be, having an all-rounder that might actually excel in some categories seems to be the way to go.

Now to save my pennies while I wait for it to come back in stock!

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts