AVS Forum banner

5141 - 5160 of 5195 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Hey Blasst , so still running with a 5000. long time. I'm using a 6000 for years. about to go to the 3'rd lamp after about 6000 hours still happy not sure what will prompt an upgrade. Remember the old PE7700 thread?

Joe

·
Registered
3,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108  /t/957897/benq-w-5000-little-test/5130#post_24261252

Why were you expecting BenQ to make an announcement? There are no consumer 4K DLP DMDs.

Not expecting , just hoping they would have something in 4K for us coming up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco70  /t/957897/benq-w-5000-little-test/5130#post_24262811

Hey Blasst , so still running with a 5000. long time. I'm using a 6000 for years. about to go to the 3'rd lamp after about 6000 hours still happy not sure what will prompt an upgrade. Remember the old PE7700 thread?

Joe

Bronco, glad to see you are still around and kicking my friend, and that your PJ is treating you well. Ya the PE7700 was a massive thread, I still have my original 7700 along with another I picked up for my son and friends gaming in the garage.....lucky punks.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst  /t/957897/benq-w-5000-little-test/5100_50#post_24269040

Not expecting , just hoping they would have something in 4K for us coming up.

Bronco, glad to see you are still around and kicking my friend, and that your PJ is treating you well. Ya the PE7700 was a massive thread, I still have my original 7700 along with another I picked up for my son and friends gaming in the garage.....lucky punks.

You're going to need to petition TI to release a consumer 4K DMD otherwise no one, not even BenQ, can release a 4K DLP projector.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I wish Benq would start using using .95 DMD in all their projectors instead of the .65 DMD, I I believe the W5000 was the last time they used the .95.

·
Registered
28,783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butny  /t/957897/benq-w-5000-little-test/5130#post_24610473

I wish Benq would start using using .95 DMD in all their projectors instead of the .65 DMD, I I believe the W5000 was the last time they used the .95.

Until there are 4K DLP chips, this is not going to happen. Right now the size of the chip is one of the things that separates the higher end single chip DLP's from the lower end single chip DLP's. Even then, it will take a long while to filter down.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I currently own the W6000 and had the W5000, I always thought the W5000 produced the sharper picture. The W6000 has it beat in brightness and black levels but I always thought the W5000 was a tad sharper in PQ, I assume it was because of the 0.95 DMD compared to the 0.65DMD in the W6000.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butny  /t/957897/benq-w-5000-little-test/5130#post_24610705

I currently own the W6000 and had the W5000, I always thought the W5000 produced the sharper picture. The W6000 has it beat in brightness and black levels but I always though the W5000 was a tad sharper in PQ, I assume it was because of the 0.95 DMD compared to the 0.65DMD in the W6000.

Completely agree. Went from a W5000 to an Optoma HD86, then the W6000.

There's just something about the larger 0.95"

The W7500 and Optoma HD91 are both "2cm" chips.

2cm = 0.78"

How does the 2cm compare ?

·
Registered
3,622 Posts

Was time for a new bulb here also. Picked one up from the link above, and it is as advertised. I had slightly over 2000 hours on the high lamp setting. I have a bat cave so really didn't notice a lack of brightness, though after putting in the new bulb, I had that additional "pop" for brightness back. I'm glad the old 5K keeps putting out a fine image, and am hoping it will keep doing so, until I can afford a 4k PJ down the road.
Well almost 5 years have passed since that post, and I just picked up another bulb for the W5000. Really had no idea I would still be using the same projector for this long. Still waiting for a 4K PJ that I can afford. I bought a LG OLED this year and it is really fantastic. Wish I could have that type of image in the projector right now.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
You should look at the JVCs, either the 2015 models that are currently on closeout (RSx00), or the new 2017 models (RSx20 models) if input lag is important to you. They'll put your BenQ's image to shame.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,
My W5000 is still running but the last time I turned it on the startscreen was not blue anymore but purplish.
My lamp has about 2000 hours running time.
Would this be a lamp problem or something with the electronics?

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
Hi,
My W5000 is still running but the last time I turned it on the startscreen was not blue anymore but purplish.
Can you post an image of what the issue looks like?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardA View Post
Hi,

I'm so happy that's not possible anymore! It's working normal again, I hope it stays that way....
Maybe the hdmi-cable was not connected properly or...
It looked like the Green was missing.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I had some strange issue with my trusty old W5000 last night. I was watching a blu-ray film and I noticed that image was somehow blurry looking all around and especially there was ghost image/shadow under white subtitles (just like double image but just slightly off from the actual image). Then I turned on PS3's info screen that open on the top and on the bottom of the image and there was clearly ghost image/shadows under everything displayed (white texts and play icon) on the black bars of the 2.35:1 film. I did not sleep much previous night, so I though my eyes were just tired and went close to the screen and there was no shadows then, so case closed - at that point I was sure culprit was just my tired eyes.

But my wife of course asked me what I was doing, so I explained her what I saw and then she said she sees the same ghost image/shadows!! Also when she went close to the screen she said there was no ghost image/shadows then. So I was really worried at that point. I tried changing source and even tried my another blu-ray player to make sure there was no source problem but nothing changed.
So the problem is that image shows ghost image/shadows from normal viewing distance but not when viewing only 1 or 2 feet from the screen. I also noticed that when I tilted my eyeglasses forward by lifting temples (I wear glasses all the time as I cannot see far without them and I have had glasses most of my life, so nothing new) and ghost image/shadows disappeared then, so definitely seems like some kind of optical issue. What is causing that?

I did quite a lot searching and I did not find anyone else complaining about the same problem. I do have a faint memory that many years ago, around when this projector was first available some reviewer or forum poster reported some problem with image when using lens shift. I did not find link to that but I think it was something about lens shift causing ghost image/shadows... I just don't understand how after 8-9 years of use that problem would occur. I'm sure I haven't seen that before with my projector and I have looked it very critically and a lot of use so I'm sure it is not just something that has been there all the time but was not noticed before or anything like that.

I have been considering to replace my projector with something new for years but I haven't really found anything that much better and calibrated W5000 picture is pretty much flawless to me, so I have been waiting. Looks like even some new flat screen would been something to consider for projector replacement at least when OLED's are available in around 80" or more sizes at reasonable price. So I was hoping my W5000 would serve me until this happens.

Sorry for long post in advance. :)

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
I had some strange issue with my trusty old W5000 last night. I was watching a blu-ray film and I noticed that image was somehow blurry looking all around and especially there was ghost image/shadow under white subtitles (just like double image but just slightly off from the actual image). Then I turned on PS3's info screen that open on the top and on the bottom of the image and there was clearly ghost image/shadows under everything displayed (white texts and play icon) on the black bars of the 2.35:1 film. I did not sleep much previous night, so I though my eyes were just tired and went close to the screen and there was no shadows then, so case closed - at that point I was sure culprit was just my tired eyes.

But my wife of course asked me what I was doing, so I explained her what I saw and then she said she sees the same ghost image/shadows!! Also when she went close to the screen she said there was no ghost image/shadows then. So I was really worried at that point. I tried changing source and even tried my another blu-ray player to make sure there was no source problem but nothing changed.
So the problem is that image shows ghost image/shadows from normal viewing distance but not when viewing only 1 or 2 feet from the screen. I also noticed that when I tilted my eyeglasses forward by lifting temples (I wear glasses all the time as I cannot see far without them and I have had glasses most of my life, so nothing new) and ghost image/shadows disappeared then, so definitely seems like some kind of optical issue. What is causing that?

I did quite a lot searching and I did not find anyone else complaining about the same problem. I do have a faint memory that many years ago, around when this projector was first available some reviewer or forum poster reported some problem with image when using lens shift. I did not find link to that but I think it was something about lens shift causing ghost image/shadows... I just don't understand how after 8-9 years of use that problem would occur. I'm sure I haven't seen that before with my projector and I have looked it very critically and a lot of use so I'm sure it is not just something that has been there all the time but was not noticed before or anything like that.
Did you change anything? Seating, new glasses, etc?

I have been considering to replace my projector with something new for years but I haven't really found anything that much better and calibrated W5000 picture is pretty much flawless to me, so I have been waiting. Looks like even some new flat screen would been something to consider for projector replacement at least when OLED's are available in around 80" or more sizes at reasonable price. So I was hoping my W5000 would serve me until this happens.
There's stuff much much better than the W5000 out there. My W5000 was not bad for the price when I've got it, but it's really not that great compared to what's out there now.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Did you change anything? Seating, new glasses, etc?
Nope. Absolutely nothing changed.

There's stuff much much better than the W5000 out there. My W5000 was not bad for the price when I've got it, but it's really not that great compared to what's out there now.
Surely there is better if looking for better resolution or contrast but so far I mainly watch 1080p material and colors are very good in calibrated W5000, plus sharpness is excellent due to 0.95" chip and good optics. Not to mention how durable this is (or was), 8-9 years with minimal problems.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Surely there is better if looking for better resolution or contrast but so far I mainly watch 1080p material and colors are very good in calibrated W5000, plus sharpness is excellent due to 0.95" chip and good optics.
Don't underestimate how much of a difference other attributes can make. I couldn't imagine going back to my W5000 after having my Planar 8150 or either of my JVCs.

Not to mention how durable this is (or was), 8-9 years with minimal problems.
Wish mine would have lasted that long.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Big Lebowski, thats a bummer that you are having this issue after all these years.

Have you had it in for any service at all during the time you have owned it?

I have had my W5000 for over 9 years now, just keeps going with a new bulb every so many years.
I had it in once for a new board if I remember right, as I drove it to them and picked it up when done, here in So.Cal.

I've asked Stranger before about new projector options, and I know how he feels about the new Optoma 4K PJ's;) I wonder if the 4K Optomas have better contrast than the W5000?

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Big Lebowski, thats a bummer that you are having this issue after all these years.

Have you had it in for any service at all during the time you have owned it?

I have had my W5000 for over 9 years now, just keeps going with a new bulb every so many years.
I had it in once for a new board if I remember right, as I drove it to them and picked it up when done, here in So.Cal.
Sadly my W5000 made something like 4+ round trips cross country to BenQ. The manual iris failed on mine, and IIRC they tried, and failed 3 times to fix it, the fourth time they finally managed to, but in the course of putting like 10,000 miles on it, it seemed the power supply (or something power/startup related) was damaged because at that point it would either work OK, start up but randomly shut down, or just not start up at all. By that point I was so frustrated with BenQ and my BenQ that I decided to take advantage AVS special on a Planar 8150 and never looked back.

I've asked Stranger before about new projector options, and I know how he feels about the new Optoma 4K PJ's;) I wonder if the 4K Optomas have better contrast than the W5000?
Sadly it doesn't look like it, they're probably close, but a bit worse. All the measurements I've seen of the XPR machines put them anywhere between about 600:1 native and about 1600:1 native, with most of the Optoma reviews coming in at about 800-1200:1. IIRC the W5000 was somewhere between 1000:1 and 1500:1. It's really quite disappointing that DLP has taken such a step backward in the past decade.

Compare that to the Planar 8150 that's about 2500:1 native and 15,000:1 dynamic, it also had a bit better color as green wasn't undersaturated like the W5000. I don't really remember details at this point but I remember that the Planar had overall better image, it was especially noticeably when I had to send my Planar in for service and tried to use my W5000 in the mean time.

And then of course there's my RS600 which is just in another league in pretty much every way.

5141 - 5160 of 5195 Posts