AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have to choose between these 2 little babys, I can get the hc400 for around 320€ more (when I say € you can say $ cause unfortunately for europeans the conversion with electronics gadgets use to be 1:1)

Benq 1000+ 880€

Mitsubitshi HC4000 1200€

I have only seen a review where they compare these two, but they compared with the previous models, Benq w1000 and Mitsu HC3800, in that one HC3800 was the winner because of the black levels.

The little info I have found about HC4000 says the new chip, improves the black leves, but I dont know how good is the improvement in the w1000+ compared to the w1000.

Help me out please!! specially if you have the brand new HC4000 (in street since September 2010?) cause I dont find many comments about this one.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
If money is not an issue, I would definitely get the Mits. The Mits. has better black levels, a faster color wheel(4x) vs. the Benq's(3x), which means less of a chance to see rainbows with the Mits. I have the Mits. HC3800 and I love it. And the HC4000 is even better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Jim McC,

My only concern about the Mits is the failure regarding shutdown and the light distribution that some users have reported, regarding shutdown I think the issue was related to sync problems with some HDMI cabels.

As this HC4000 is almost new, dont know if it has the same problems that HC3800 had at the beginning.

Did you have any problem with your HC3800?

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
My HC3800 was trouble free for about 6 months. Then it started to shut down after being on for about 1 minute. I received my refurb in Sept. and it's been trouble free. Before I bought the HC3800, I had the Benq W1000(2x color wheel) for 2 weeks. I sent it back because the rainbows were AWFUL. The W1000= is now 3x, but I haven't seen it. Other than the rainbows, the image was great.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpun
but I dont know how good is the improvement in the w1000+ compared to the w1000.
First of all, love the name hahaha, not sure if you're referring to big pun (terror squad).

Anyway, the main difference between the BenQ W1000 and the BenQ W1000+ is the improved color wheel from 2x (W1000) to 3x (W1000+), also slightly improved contrast ratio from 3000:1 to 3500:1, the audible noise seems to be improved on the W1000+ by having it slightly quieter. Another improvement is the lamp hours, from 3000 - 4000 (normal mode - eco mode) on the w1000 to 4000 - 5000 on the w1000+. Reviews have also stated that it seems like BenQ has improved picture quality significantly for a reasonable comparison between the two.

Once again, regarding RBE (rainbow effects), it depends on person to person. The W1000 did have a slower 2x color wheel, but I own it and love it and don't see any rainbows ever. Rainbow effects definitely vary on a few factors, 1) the person viewing it, 2) the lighting condition of the setting, 3) the projector itself, 4) the content that's being watched. The projector and person viewing are the 2 main attributing factors, the reason why is if person A and person B both are victims of RBE, person A may see rainbow effects on Projector 1 and 2 while Person B may only see it on projector 2 and not see it at all on Projector 1, while both projectors may have similar specs and the same color wheel speed. Your best bet is to FIRST find out if rainbows are a problem for you. 3x color wheel should be fine though, but never hurts to double check

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi chumpchange21,

yeah I took this nick for the forum from that fatty amazing boricua

I currently own the Benq W100 (480p) I have never seen rainbow effect so I guess with Benq W1000+ would not be a problem, but from reviews I have read HC400 seems to have better image quality

So far:

Benq pros:

- reliable

- cheaper

Cons:

- not so good black levels

Mit pros:

- Image quality, blacks level

Cons:

- possible distorsions in the image, to confirm if affects all models

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Sorry for the delayed response.

I agree, that perhaps the HC4000 may have a slightly better black level depth compared to the BenQ; however, the difference is not at large.

And I think the main argument should be that the increased cost to purchase the HC4000 + its notorious image distortion (that you are also aware of) it's not worth it in comparison with the W1000+

I suggest you to go with the W1000+ instead and I'm sure you'll be satisfied. It's also much brighter. Black levels have to do with the brightness of your projector as well. I've noticed on my W1000 that blacks look much better in eco mode. You may try it out and see a notable difference

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hi all.

For the last three years, I've been using a Benq W5000.

My setup is here .

While I'm very happy with it (especially after calibrating), there are a few things that the Mitsubishi HC4000 have over it....

1* The 1.5x zoom will allow me to put out a 110cm-high image in both 1.78 and 2.40

2* The DC3 chip should have noticeably better intra-frame contrast than the W5000, with no need for a DI (and all the quirks that brings).

3* Longer lamp-life.

4* Other possible tech improvements, given the 3-year difference between them (?)

A new pj with a new lamp and warranty never hurts, either.

I run a very dark room and I don't use BrilliantColor.

My question is really - how would the HC4000 would compare to the W5000 for overall image quality - particularly single-frame contrast and black levels?

I'd likely need to mount the Mitsubishi closer to the ceiling to make up for its offset, but does the Mits have a digital shift to assist in lining up to the masking when switching between 1.78, 1.66, 1.85, 2.35, etc ?

I was initially going to wait for a 3D model. The only contender on the horizon is the Sharp Z17000, but its zoom range is hopeless.

But if I can replace the Benq with the Mits and not be out of pocket, why not just pull the trigger?

Thanks very much in advance!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Not sure why you posted here, but what's your budget?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpchange21 /forum/post/20127085

Not sure why you posted here, but what's your budget?

Sorry to post here. T'was late at night and wanted to cast the net wide.

I'm thinking of replacing the W5000 for a the HC4000 to get a better zoom range, and a 240 x 100 cm picture in scope at 3.6m.

This is a temporary solution for the next year or so, so as little $ as possible given I'll get around $1500ish if I sell the W5000.

·
Registered
12 Posts
why not look at the BenQ W1100 that's just been released? Looks to be same as the 1000+, but with 4x color wheel, 1.5x zoom, picture in picture, and higher contrast ratio, among a couple other gimmicks. Can be had for 1075 on projectorpeople after discounts. No reviews out there yet though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts