AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Pany AE900 and like it a lot. I'm obviously not a videophile and understand the short comings of this unit. I have run across a Black Friday deal on the Benq for just over $700 and wondered if this wouldn't be wise purchase considering my AE900's bulb has almost 2000 hours on it. What do you think? I really want 3D but I'm not sure how far out that is yet.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
The Benq will be brighter and sharper. It will also be louder and may give you DLP rainbows. Possibly more image noise. The 900 with a new bulb, while only 720p, is still a great projector. I've never seen the Benq 1000, but I have seen the 6000. Noisy image and loud as a train.

The picture will most likely look better due to the higher resolution and added brightness, but there will be trade-offs.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input so far. I went to a projector shoot out a few years back. They played scenes that had the rainbow issure and I couldn't see them. It still worries me with all the talk about the rainbow effect though. I want to hold out for a nice 3d projector and thought this may be a nice cheap unit to fill in until the 3ds are out in full force. I just don't want to go back words on picture quality.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68sting /forum/post/19546778

Thanks for the input so far. I went to a projector shoot out a few years back. They played scenes that had the rainbow issure and I couldn't see them. It still worries me with all the talk about the rainbow effect though. I want to hold out for a nice 3d projector and thought this may be a nice cheap unit to fill in until the 3ds are out in full force. I just don't want to go back words on picture quality.

If the company has a decent return policy, what do you have to lose? I say try it and find out for yourself. You could be in for a pleasant surprise! I don't see how you could possibly be going backwards from a 5 yr old projector to something fairly new. Technology has advanced quite a bit in that much time.

This projector throws a VERY Sharp, VERY vivid image for $700. You'll be blown away!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My head is spinning now. Advice need on the projectors below.

Benq w1000 $739

Epson 6100 Bstock $874

Epson 8350 $1099

Vivitek H1081 $874

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah /forum/post/19546816

Technology has advanced quite a bit in that much time.

I thought the same thing before my last upgrade. Advanced, yes. Quite a bit, no. Not in this price class. I have a feeling most of the "wow" that new buyers talk about comes from having a projector with a new bulb.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1
I thought the same thing before my last upgrade. Advanced, yes. Quite a bit, no. Not in this price class. I have a feeling most of the "wow" that new buyers talk about comes from having a projector with a new bulb.
Not quite my experience. When I upgraded from the Optoma HD65 to the Benq W1000 it wasn't incremental. It was a substantial difference in picture quality. The Optoma was less than six months old and had a brand new bulb. No one in their right mind could get the two confused used next to one another on the same screen. The differences depend on the projectors compared. Price isn't always the factor.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To answer your question will take a little explaining.

I ordered the 8350 over the Benq for a few reasons. The Benq sounds great but has a few draw backs with the slow color wheel and its not as friendly to mount. The 8350 just seemed like a more well rounded package with way higher contrast and just flat out great reviews.

Here's where it gets confusing. As I stated in my opening post I really want 3D but kind of thought it was 2-3 years out yet. After reading up over the weekend about the acer 5360 and the JVC250 I think its much closer than I realized. So I canceled my order.

Yesterday I got a few more calls off of Craigslist on my Pany and started to do the numbers in my head on the Benq. If I could get $350-$400 for my Pany the Benq seemed like a no brainer to still do. Problem was when I went back to check on it it was sold out.

Its not over yet.

In the Acer thread some people got a ridicules deal on it through New Egg and coupon code. I tried it yesterday and it was working again. So I have a 5360 on its way. I don't have a HTPC so I think I need to wait another month or so for the Optima 3D converter box to make it work. Bummer. I'm dieing to compare the Acer to my Pany 900. If its close in 2D picture quality I'll sell the Pany. If not I'll keep both for separate 2D and 3D respectively. This should get me buy on the cheap until the 3d market shakes it self out.

Also where do LED projectors fit in to this. Bulbs suck. To much going on in the projector world.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Oh shame! So you went for the Acer?

LED projectors... lol. far far away from become in the $1,000 range. Maybe 5 years from now? Currently their in the $15,000 range I believe.

EDIT:

Btw, if you're interested in the W1000 you should definitely look at it's successor the W1000+, it carries slightly higher contrast ratio of 3500:1. Has improved it's colorwheel speed from 2x on the W1000 to 3x on the W1000+. It is slightly quieter. It has increased its bulb hours by 1000 on both eco mode and standard mode. And many owners of the new W1000+ have commented on better and improved picture quality with deeper blacks and more pop effect.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts