AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the big names have now got their first generation 1080p PJs on the market now, but the new BenQs don't seem to have had much exposure for some reason. Perhaps it's just been down to delays in getting hardware out there (not for the first time?) but it seems the W9000 and W10000 are finally on sale.

I was quite keen to find out about these models, as the market seemd to be polarising into the cheaper LCD & LCOS models with DI, and the expensive DLP ones (without DI). The Optoma 81 seemed the odd one out, mixing DLP with DI that didn't work well enough, but using an excellent external scaler. The other missing link was a 1080p DLP from InFocus , but it seems we might never get to see that if the dark rumours are true. Shame.

The BenQ PJs seem to fit the bill, with potentially great performance/$, but nobody seemed to be able to give any worthwhile or reliable information or impressions on them. Well I just noticed that Projector Central and Projector Reviews recently posted reviews on the more expensive W10000, and it all seems pretty positive.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/benq...0/proscons.asp
http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq_w10000.htm

People don't always have much confidence in their reviews, but they did seems to be pretty thorough, with lots of favourable blow-up screen shot comparisons, good brightness and contrast measurements, but the internal video de-interlacing left something to be desired.

regards, Nick

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read all the Benq data very thoroughly, and the only difference I can find is that the 9000 has a "Dark Chip" and 8500:1 contrast, while the 10k has a "Dark Chip 3" and 10,000:1 contrast. That doesn't seem likea big difference for $1k.

With respect to Jason, I didn't think his review was anything like as detailed and discriminating as the others. The ones I'm really looking forwards to are the reviews from Ultimate AV and Widescreen Review.

The JVC RS-1 seems to be getting most of the positive press these days, but perhaps only in comparison with the LCD and LCOS PJs. it doesn't seem to fare so well against the DLP PJs, though, so I'm curious how well the BenQs might fare at a slighltly lower price point.

Nick

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Projector Reviews also posted their long-awaited Optoma HD81 review. I expected this would be very similar to the BenQ, and that seems to be their conclusion. The Optoma seems to have some installation and set-up issues, but it often makes a very good impression when people walk into a room and see it (without realising what work it took to get there).

http://www.projectorreviews.com/optoma/HD81/index.asp

All we need now is a 1080p DLP PJ with a DI that works properly!

Nick

·
Registered
1,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by welwynnick /forum/post/0

All we need now is a 1080p DLP PJ with a DI that works properly!

No we don't, they work very well, without a DI!

·
Registered
130 Posts

Quote:

Most of the big names have now got their first generation 1080p PJs on the market now, but the new BenQs don't seem to have had much exposure for some reason. Perhaps it's just been down to delays in getting hardware out there (not for the first time?) but it seems the W9000 and W10000 are finally on sale.

I was quite keen to find out about these models, as the market seemd to be polarising into the cheaper LCD & LCOS models with DI, and the expensive DLP ones (without DI). The Optoma 81 seemed the odd one out, mixing DLP with DI that didn't work well enough, but using an excellent external scaler. The other missing link was a 1080p DLP from InFocus , but it seems we might never get to see that if the dark rumours are true. Shame.

The BenQ PJs seem to fit the bill, with potentially great performance/$, but nobody seemed to be able to give any worthwhile or reliable information or impressions on them. Well I just noticed that Projector Central and Projector Reviews recently posted reviews on the more expensive W10000, and it all seems pretty positive.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/benq...0/proscons.asp
http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq_w10000.htm

People don't always have much confidence in their reviews, but they did seems to be pretty thorough, with lots of favourable blow-up screen shot comparisons, good brightness and contrast measurements, but the internal video de-interlacing left something to be desired.

regards, Nick

These reviews have been up for a while. I should be getting a W10000 in next week. I will compare it to my PE8720 and let you guys know what I think. What concerns the difference between a W9000 and W10000, good question, is the W9000 even out yet? I havn't seen them advertised anywhere. I didn't know there are different types of DLP 1080 ships out, I thought there's only the darkchip 3 ??

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
No overscan adjustment ???

·
Registered
249 Posts
I found some ebay listings offering W9000. I asked one seller whether they have it actually in stock, they replied it was shipping in the week of Jan 23.

prabhatb

·
Registered
1,554 Posts

Quote:

The JVC RS-1 seems to be getting most of the positive press these days, but perhaps only in comparison with the LCD and LCOS PJs. it doesn't seem to fare so well against the DLP PJs, though, so I'm curious how well the BenQs might fare at a slighltly lower price point.

Nick

Interesting I attended a session with the HD1 recently and yesterday I spent some time with Sim2 looking at the HT5000, C3X, D80 and D35. Clearly the HT5000 is a bit special but at $50k plus it ought to be. Of the others I didn't percieve any significant improvement over the HD1 on the 8' unity gain screen being used. Given that the D80 and C3X are 2 to 4 times the cost I expected a more noticeable difference. I know it's subjective but that was my impression. YMMV.

Nick

Is there any objective info on HD1 v DLP ? The only direct comparsion I've seen was a side by side with the Sharp 20000 at Cedia last year.

Dazzer

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dazzer, I don't bookmark specific reviews (perhaps I should) but usually make a mental note of the opinions of people I know I can trust. Most of the comparisons of the JVC have been against the Sony, which were all one way. Only a few have been against DLP PJs, (which were generally more expensive) but the JVC certainly hasn't had it all it;s own way. I've gotten the impression that the JVC is probably better than all the LCD & LCOS PJ's, plus the BenQ 10k and Optoma HD81; comparable with the Sim2 D80; and not as good as the Marantz VP11S1 and Sharp 20k. I think that's pretty good going for the price, but I always expected it to be an incremental improvement, not a revolution, or the best-projector-ever; that sort of thing.

Nick

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.