AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 777 from AVS yesterday (thanks Marc) and got it set up. I had the w10000 and was not satasfied with the light output on the SMX 120" scope screen.

With the 3 chipper, all is well.
It is alot brighter and colours are more vivid. I don't see any loss in contrast, but my room is not ideal. (light brown walls etc.) I was concered about the SDE with 720 vs. 1080, but @ 1.5 X screen width it is a non-issue for me.

Now I need to get my lens installed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Good to hear you like the 777 on a 10' scope screen. I'm very close to going with that projector on a similarly sized 2.35 AT screen.

What video processor are you using to do the v-stretch? Also, what lens will you use?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
What video processor are you using to do the v-stretch? Also, what lens will you use?

Butterbars,

I have a VP50 on order, but I found out when I started fiddling with the 777 that it does have a "letterbox" feature that does the vertical stretch. What I couldn't figure out is if it will do the 4x3 horizontal compression for 16/9 viewing with the lens in place.

I set the projector on my coffee table and tried it with a DIY lens (french prisms), and it seemed to work OK. I also ordered the "B" stock U380 from the special that AVS is running right now, but I havn't had a chance to try the panamorph yet. It does look sweet though.

Beware of the 777's size... its a monster. Very cool looking monster but huge none the less.

Luke

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
it does have a "letterbox" feature that does the vertical stretch

Last night while planning my M380 install I attemped to vstretch the picture using the letterbox feature, this time without success. I was certain that a few weeks ago using the letterbox setting verticaly stretched the picture, but now I find that it only zooms it to fill 16/9. I have my VP50 on route so its no big problem but I just wanted to let you guys know I was wrong about the 777's abilities. Sorry for the confusion.

Luke

·
Registered
865 Posts
...many projectors have a mode in which a 4:3 image is zoomed to fill a 16:9 frame, in which the aspect ratio is perserved, but the top and bottom screen information is cropped. Not sure the 777 has this, but if it does, this mode will do what you want -- but this will work only with an anamorphic source image such as from a widescreen DVD featuring a 2.35 'scope' film (which most of us have lots). The resulting image, sans the external stretch lens, will fill the frame width-wise, the top an bottom black bars cropped away, and all will appear tall and skinny from an aspect perspective. Adding the external stretch lens in the light path will correct the aspect ratio.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts