AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I finally want to get a Full HD projector. My last projector was the Benq PE8720 and I really liked it. I watch alot of sports (HD) and Blue Rays (in the future). The projector should be bright and the image should be 3D-like and sharp. The BEnQ is cheaper than the JVC and I have good experiences with BenQ. But it seems that the JVC is also an excellent thing. What I would like to know as well is if the JVC RS-10 is much better than the JVC RS-1 or the BenQ W10000 (double in price).

So it would be nice if you could help me out. The problem is that I don't have the possibily to check the JVCs. I would have to order it and perhaps I could send it back. But when it's in my room I doubt that I would send it back (propably the same with the Benq...)

Thanks for your answers!

Mojo

·
Registered
61 Posts
Different projectors...

LCOS pictures are different...I had a JVC RS2 in my home but I still prefer the DLP technology...sharper a more vivid colors, and no motion blur.

The new RS10 still have problems in terms of color accuracy...the RS20 is a better machine, but if you read the threads, is not a huge difference.

If you really like the kind of picture you see with your Benq, please see the Infocus IN83...a great machine with fantastic picture...about the same price of JVC RS10.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was the BenQ calibrated professionally? And how was the picture without calibration?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiV_GAMER /forum/post/15494284

Different projectors...

LCOS pictures are different...I had a JVC RS2 in my home but I still prefer the DLP technology...sharper a more vivid colors, and no motion blur.

The new RS10 still have problems in terms of color accuracy...the RS20 is a better machine, but if you read the threads, is not a huge difference.

If you really like the kind of picture you see with your Benq, please see the Infocus IN83...a great machine with fantastic picture...about the same price of JVC RS10.

So the big advantage rs2 supposedly would have in blacks and on/off did not make it a winner over the w10000 (is that the DLP you own? ) ? What if you could bring down the color saturation (such as CMS or HTPC software), would you still prefer the DLP ?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Wouldn't the Benq W20000 be a better choice. New updated model over the 10000

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had a RS2 in my home and use it 1 month / 50 hours playing movies.

Then my dealer received a Planar 8150 which I tried and like it more.

Sharper, more brightness and accurate colors...only in very dark scenes the JVC really show the advantage in on/off contrast, but the Planar is very good and not far in terms of on/off contrast

Ansi contrast is better on the Planar and is evident in medium/high APL scenes, which gives a more depth to the picture.

The JVC RS2 is very very good with on/off contrast better tnah another projector in the market...but I like a very sharp image and DLP is much better than LCOS in that department.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Benq claims 20,000:1 contrast on the W20000. Is that native, or does it employ an iris to get that 20,000:1 contrast? Also, what are the calibrated lumens on the W200000?

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
W20000 i think would be a bit better choice then 10000. That is closer to contrast with the dynamic iris, the dynamic iris is really good and really helps. If you read the w5000 almost everyone enjoys the contrast they get with the dynamic iris, although the hardcore videophilies dont like using it or use it on any machine. There is also a manual iris.

Never noticed pumping with it, and only one reviewer i think kris deering claimed he could see pumping. Seen no other reports of this and cant see it on my w5000. I emailed kris about it, he said he stood by his claims, but again I seen no other review or person report it maybe he had a bad unit.

Latest firmware also has cca for accurate color, although you will need to check the thread how to achieve this.

Calibrated lumens on it around 700 I believe, it will vary on how you use the manual iris.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
How do the blacks and on/off (with iris) of w20k compare to 6500ub ? Art in his 6500ub review competitors section compared 6500ub to w20000 but left no comment on their comparative constrast and black level performance. :/

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Of course the W20000 is better but the problem is that my bank account doesn't think so. Otherwise I would buy the Planar 8150...

For me the Benq W10000 will be half as expensive as the W20000.

The difference I could put in the rest of my planned hometheatre (speakers...)

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Why not the W5000 then, art said there was a noitceable but not big difference in black level, not as much as one would expect, otherwise there the same.

DC2 vs DC3.

·
Registered
959 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoX /forum/post/15498351

Was the BenQ calibrated professionally? And how was the picture without calibration?

It was not calibrated and I was quite happy with the picture out of the box. In fact it had a much better greyscale than my Yamaha LPX510 lcd PJ which was calibrated.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts

Quote:
Never noticed pumping with it, and only one reviewer i think kris deering claimed he could see pumping. Seen no other reports of this and cant see it on my w5000. I emailed kris about it, he said he stood by his claims, but again I seen no other review or person report it maybe he had a bad unit.

I just read the Projector Central review on the W20000 and they confirm what you say about the smoothness of the auto iris;

"In addition to the manual iris mentioned earlier, the W20000 also has an automatic iris. This auto iris is activated by turning on the "DynamicBlack" option in the menu system, and can lower black levels in dark scenes without compromising lumen output in brighter ones. During normal viewing of video we did not notice any unnatural dimming or brightening effects attributable to the auto iris, and adjustments were invisible to our eyes unless we were actively looking for them."

This seems like a good bang for the buck projector for those who aren't sensitive to RBE, or can live with the short zoom range.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Have owned both JVC and Benq, currently on Benq. W10000 is same machine as w5000 and w20000, less motorized zoom and color wheel with 7 vs 6 segments. The former fixed iris has been replaced with adj. iris. If you have the cash, JVC, if you play games and want best motion handling Benq beats all pj's I've owned so far. 6x color wheel speed in w10000 at 24fp is nice and makes rainbows almost non issue. Don't worry about DC2 vs DC3, irrelevant in all Benq's. Hope that helps

1 - 17 of 17 Posts