AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checking to see if this set up will work. I only have 6'9" to ceiling on wall. I am putting up a 106" diagonal screen which has a 3 " border. So basically top of screen is sitting at 6'6". If I ceiling mount the BenQ W1070 will this set up work (Room is 19' long so that distance to screen is not a problem). I am mainly concerned about the low ceiling and getting the image on the screen with the top only 3" below the ceiling. :eek:

·
Registered
309 Posts
It should work just fine.

A 1.85:1 106" screen is (with a 3" border) about 58" tall.
That gives you quite a bit of flex space beneath the screen. Keep in mind the w1070 also has a small amount of lens shift, so that helps placement flexibility.

This helps greatly: http://www.benq.com/microsite/projector/throwratiocalculator/

You planning on putting equipment under the screen?

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
edit: the following is not accurate

I assume you can't move the screen down for some reason (ex: speakers, table..etc)...

The top of the projected image will be 3" below the lens. So if you flush mount the projector, that will add about 2" of height from the centre of the lens to the ceiling. So, 2"+3" = the top of screen starting at ~5" below the ceiling. You should have approximately 2" to 4" of vertical lens shift available, which should bring the top of the projected image back to the 3" you require.

It'll be tight, but might just work.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I assume you can't move the screen down for some reason (ex: speakers, table..etc)...

The top of the projected image will be 3" below the lens. So if you flush mount the projector, that will add about 2" of height from the centre of the lens to the ceiling. So, 2"+3" = the top of screen starting at ~5" below the ceiling. You should have approximately 2" to 4" of vertical lens shift available, which should bring the top of the projected image back to the 3" you require.

It'll be tight, but might just work.

The lens shift only allows the image to be pushed further down, not up. The OP might have to drop the screen a few inches to make this setup work.

Otherwise, the Epson HC2000 may be an option if you don't mind sacrificing some picture quality (black levels/contrast/motion handling/input lag) since it projects a portion of its image above the lens when ceiling mounting. This is fixed though, since there's no lens shift on the Epson: so getting the mount height perfectly right matters even more.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Hmm.. I guess when I looked at the screw and it said 'up down', I figured it was either way. Never tried it myself.

Sorry for any misinformation.

Oh it's certainly a bit confusing.
The factory default is with the screw turned all the way to the 'down' position with respect to table-mounting (meaning the image is as close to the lens as possible). Turning it pushes the image further 'up' away from the lens. (This is inverted when ceiling mounting, of course.)

·
Registered
140 Posts
The other option (which I am planning to do) is to just tilt the projector up to the ceiling a bit and have a proportional tilt to your screen. Usually it is only a few inches of tilt from the top of the screen to the bottom and might actually be a good thing depending on where your seating is.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Checking to see if this set up will work. I only have 6'9" to ceiling on wall. I am putting up a 106" diagonal screen which has a 3 " border. So basically top of screen is sitting at 6'6". If I ceiling mount the BenQ W1070 will this set up work (Room is 19' long so that distance to screen is not a problem). I am mainly concerned about the low ceiling and getting the image on the screen with the top only 3" below the ceiling. :eek:
Optimum image height for that size screen would be 20" off the floor, which would have the top of the image at 6'. I'm not sure why you would want it all the way up to the ceiling. If you do want it all the way to the ceiling, your are SOL. The center of the lens on the W1070 will already be at least 3" from the projector base and with lens shift zeroed out you will still have another 2" drop below that. That is assuming you could flush-mount the W1070 but there are no mounts that will not add at least another 2" gap between the base of the projector and the ceiling. I would plan on the top of the image being at least 8" below the ceiling. Which is about where the screen should be anyway.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the comment so far. I was thinking I wanted it up that high so I plan on having two rows of seats, at 202" and 142" from the screen. This would allow the back row, being on a riser of about 10 or 11" to see the entire screen without the front row blocking. I will have a center speaker under the screen but it is only about 10" high so it is not an issue to push the screen down. I will probably set the screen down so it is about 20" or so off the floor and just live with some slight blockage from the front row to the back row. Unfortunately, because of the low ceiling (actually ceiling is about 7"3", but duct comes down the center of the room front to back, screen to seats, and limits the space to 6'9". Maybe I can do something with the duct, but this is an already finished room too.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Thanks for all the comment so far. I was thinking I wanted it up that high so I plan on having two rows of seats, at 202" and 142" from the screen. This would allow the back row, being on a riser of about 10 or 11" to see the entire screen without the front row blocking. I will have a center speaker under the screen but it is only about 10" high so it is not an issue to push the screen down. I will probably set the screen down so it is about 20" or so off the floor and just live with some slight blockage from the front row to the back row. Unfortunately, because of the low ceiling (actually ceiling is about 7"3", but duct comes down the center of the room front to back, screen to seats, and limits the space to 6'9". Maybe I can do something with the duct, but this is an already finished room too.
Is this an update to the Dragon's Lair, or a different room completely ? Because 106" is darn small for two rows of seating by most people's standards these days. I'd build a new DIY screen and go 150" this time. The W1070 can light a screen that size in a dedicated room, even with some ambient light.

I would actually go with a 12'x5' screen 2.40:1 AR and add an anamorphic lens in front of the W1070, and then I'd pull the front row forward to 11'.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts