AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a BenQ W1070. It has two HDMI ports on the back of it. I use one of them for bringing video from my bluray player into the projector. Can I use the other one to bring audio out of the projector and into my surround sound system (which has 2 HDMI-in ports)? I've read through the W1070 manual and it never mentions that second HDMI port or if you can send audio back out of the projector, so I thought it would be safer to ask first before trying it and possibly doing damage to something. I also can't seem to find any info via google regarding using one of those ports for audio-out.

A little background info on why I'm asking this - the bluray player (a Panasonic DMP-BDT360) only has one HDMI port so I think my only option is to run audio that's fed into the projector back out of the projector and into the surround sound. I've been using an optical audio cable for sound up until now but the bluray player seems to have something wrong with its optical-out port and sends popping/crackling noises to my surround sound, so my only two options now are to buy yet another 3D bluray player (I'm on my third - they always have some kind of problem) or to do what I'm asking about with the HDMI ports. It would also be nice to take advantage of the HD audio I've been missing out on with my optical audio cable setup.

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
Winters said:
I've got a BenQ W1070. It has two HDMI ports on the back of it. ... I've read through the W1070 manual and it never mentions that second HDMI port or if you can send audio back out of the projector ...
According to the owner's manual (PDF):
The projector supports a wide variety of inputs ... including ... dual HDMI ...
. . .
Input Source HDMI 1/HDMI 2/ ...
. . .
Video signal input ... Digital - HDMI x 2
:)

BD players are relatively inexpensive - IMO, just get a new one that suits your needs.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
I've got a BenQ W1070. It has two HDMI ports on the back of it. I use one of them for bringing video from my bluray player into the projector. Can I use the other one to bring audio out of the projector and into my surround sound system (which has 2 HDMI-in ports)? I've read through the W1070 manual and it never mentions that second HDMI port or if you can send audio back out of the projector, so I thought it would be safer to ask first before trying it and possibly doing damage to something. I also can't seem to find any info via google regarding using one of those ports for audio-out.

A little background info on why I'm asking this - the bluray player (a Panasonic DMP-BDT360) only has one HDMI port so I think my only option is to run audio that's fed into the projector back out of the projector and into the surround sound. I've been using an optical audio cable for sound up until now but the bluray player seems to have something wrong with its optical-out port and sends popping/crackling noises to my surround sound, so my only two options now are to buy yet another 3D bluray player (I'm on my third - they always have some kind of problem) or to do what I'm asking about with the HDMI ports. It would also be nice to take advantage of the HD audio I've been missing out on with my optical audio cable setup.
Typically speaking, you have hooked this up incorrectly.

Usually, you would run the Blu-ray player directly into your A/V receiver and the receiver would decode the audio and pass the video up to the projector.

If your receiver doesn't support 3D, then you have a number of options. Obviously, replacing the BD player is not that pricey and is a good way to go, but it could be your receiver that should be replaced, and may be time to get a receiver which handles 3D and HD audio formats via HDMI.

At the end of the day, the W1070 doesn't push anything out of the HDMI connections. Even if it did, it would not work with your receiver, because ARC (audio return channel) isn't designed to work with the inputs of A/V receivers, but is designed to work with ARC enabled A/V receivers, which I wouldn't expect yours to be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it. Glad I didn't try connecting those HDMI ports. I guess I'll end up buying a new bluray player since that's the cheapest option, but I'll see if I can find an affordable surround sound receiver replacement. My current surround sound receiver is actually also a 3D bluray player, but the HDMI-out port is broken, rendering it useless for that purpose. It was broken from the factory and I didn't realize it for 2 years until I got my HD projector. I even disassembled it in hopes I could replace the port but the soldering on it is so microscopic it's impossible. Similar situation with my playstation 3, the HDMI-out works great but the optical audio-out doesn't work at all and never has. I seem to have bad luck with these devices, one critical output is always broken.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
While, yes, a new BD player is 'cheaper', you should consider that a new A/V receiver is under $150.

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...h_query=&category=&thumb_sort=store_price.asc

Specifically, this model:
http://www.accessories4less.com/mak....1-home-theater-receiver-from-ht-s3500/1.html

...has 4 HDMI inputs, handles HD audio, and provides plenty of power to typical theater speakers if you ever want to upgrade.

You get to keep your otherwise functional BD player, and get an upgrade where it sounds like your really need one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts