AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

My 11 month old W1070 projector has become extremely dim over the past few days. Previously, as recently as last week, the image was easily viewable even under direct light from the overhead lights, the image is now so faint it's almost impossible to make out even in total darkness and it looks as if nothing is even being projected with overhead lights on. The bulb has approximately 700 hours on it. Is it normal, or even possible, that the lamp could go from normal to too faint to even view in a matter of days and after only 700 hours? The projector is ceiling mounted with plenty of room for air circulation and never runs hot.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajoyner  /t/1526893/benq-w1070-lamp-dead-after-700-hours/0_60#post_24596189

My 11 month old W1070 projector has become extremely dim over the past few days. Previously, as recently as last week, the image was easily viewable even under direct light from the overhead lights, the image is now so faint it's almost impossible to make out even in total darkness and it looks as if nothing is even being projected with overhead lights on. The bulb has approximately 700 hours on it. Is it normal, or even possible, that the lamp could go from normal to too faint to even view in a matter of days and after only 700 hours? The projector is ceiling mounted with plenty of room for air circulation and never runs hot.

Call benq, I think way to early. Normally you will get change bulb screen I think way before you can't see a picture.

·
Registered
71 Posts
There should be an on screen warning or flashing red light if its the bulb. Did someone put the lens cap on without you knowing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

So at the advice of Benq's support people I pulled the lamp out of the projector. They advised me to pull it out, let it sit, then put it back to see if that resolved the issue. It didn't but while I had the lamp out I noticed it looked very unusual inside. This is the first projector lamp I've ever pulled out so I can't say if this is normal or not but I thought maybe one of you could.

On the back end of the "filament" if that's the correct term (the cylindrical glass piece that sticks out in the middle of the lamp housing) there is a large bubble off to only one side. It looks kind of like melted glass that has rehardened. The inside of this bubble reflects what looks like cracked glass onto the surrounding lamp housing, although there isn't actually loose glass anywhere in the lamp. It looks like this pattern has just formed on the inside of the bubble. I don't know if this bubble or the "cracked glass" pattern are normal.

The projector was carefully, and gently, ceiling mounted as soon as it arrived new and has not been taken down or even touched since. There are some pictures below that I took while the lamp was out:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Just the clarify, those cracks aren't in the surrounding reflective portion of the lamp but are inside of that bubble that is on the back end of the cylindrical glass piece. They're just being reflected by the surrounding portion of the lamp so it sort of appears like the surrounding reflective portion of the lamp is cracked, but it's not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts