AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still using a 9-10 year old Panasonic PJ. It's ceiling mounted with a DIY mount as I have a drop ceiling. The Panasonic lens is about 4" below the top of my screen.

My screen is 5" from the ceiling. Screen is 100".

Per the BenQ W1070 manual, at 100" screen, the center of the lens should be 3" ABOVE the top of the screen. This will be a problem mounting as that only gives me 2" for the PJ and mounting hardware.

I see there is a lens shift, but didnt fully understand how much. I am wanting to know how far below the top of the screen I can go, and shift that image up? I tried the BenQ calculator online. After it showed I needed to mount center of lens 3" above top of screen, I clicked the button for the vertical shift. It provided a horizontal line and said 2'6". Again, not sure what that means either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to get this PJ, just not sure i can mount below top of screen and use lens shift. Also not sure what type of mount to use as I have to mount above drop ceiling.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I am still using a 9-10 year old Panasonic PJ. It's ceiling mounted with a DIY mount as I have a drop ceiling. The Panasonic lens is about 4" below the top of my screen.

My screen is 5" from the ceiling. Screen is 100".

Per the BenQ W1070 manual, at 100" screen, the center of the lens should be 3" ABOVE the top of the screen. This will be a problem mounting as that only gives me 2" for the PJ and mounting hardware.

I see there is a lens shift, but didnt fully understand how much. I am wanting to know how far below the top of the screen I can go, and shift that image up? I tried the BenQ calculator online. After it showed I needed to mount center of lens 3" above top of screen, I clicked the button for the vertical shift. It provided a horizontal line and said 2'6". Again, not sure what that means either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to get this PJ, just not sure i can mount below top of screen and use lens shift. Also not sure what type of mount to use as I have to mount above drop ceiling.
Thanks
The lens shift only goes the other direction. By default without lens shift, the lens must be at least 2" above the top of the screen, and maximum lens shift will allow it to be up to 8" above the top of the screen. There is no setting that allows the lens to be below the top edge of the screen when ceiling mounted.

If you have a drop ceiling, why is this an issue ? Can't you remove part of a ceiling tile and hang the projector so the lens barely shows below the ceiling tiles ?

The other option is to tilt the screen top edge away from the wall and tilt the projector up. See the thread http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...houghts-2-35-1-screen-w1070.html#post32633585 for pics at the end of what he is doing.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lens shift only goes the other direction. By default without lens shift, the lens must be at least 2" above the top of the screen, and maximum lens shift will allow it to be up to 8" above the top of the screen. There is no setting that allows the lens to be below the top edge of the screen when ceiling mounted.

If you have a drop ceiling, why is this an issue ? Can't you remove part of a ceiling tile and hang the projector so the lens barely shows below the ceiling tiles ?

The other option is to tilt the screen top edge away from the wall and tilt the projector up. See the thread http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...houghts-2-35-1-screen-w1070.html#post32633585 for pics at the end of what he is doing.
Thank you. That was my other option (removing tile and mounting above with lens below) if the lens shift wouldn't work for my situation.

I have a DIY mount now with plumbing flange, pipe, Plexiglass, and screws/springs/wing nuts to adjust the level of the PJ and raise/lower it slightly. My Panny weighs 6.4lbs and this BenQ weighs around 5.8. I'm assuming I could make another mount like this with different hole placements to match the BenQ?

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Thank you. That was my other option (removing tile and mounting above with lens below) if the lens shift wouldn't work for my situation.

I have a DIY mount now with plumbing flange, pipe, Plexiglass, and screws/springs/wing nuts to adjust the level of the PJ and raise/lower it slightly. My Panny weighs 6.4lbs and this BenQ weighs around 5.8. I'm assuming I could make another mount like this with different hole placements to match the BenQ?
I don't see why not. Several people have mounted it directly to a piece of plywood or shelf. There is nothing tricky about the mounting holes -- they flat in the same plane.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts