AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asked this on another forum but this appears to be the exact place i should have asked it. I'm extremely new to all of this so please forgive my ignorance.

Anyways i've got a room in the basement being transitioned into a theater room. Light control will be good...fully enclosed room with a couple small windows that i will cover with blackout drapes. Low ceilings give me an overall physical screen height restriction of 56". The max size 16:9 screen that'll fit is a 106" screen. Since i've got plenty of room width i looked into a 128" 2.35 screen which lists an overall height of 54" with an image height 50'.

Using projector central's calculator it shows a 11'3" throw distance for a 2.35 128" screen with the W1070 set to to max 1.3x zoom. With the same throw distance of 11'3" it shows a 103" 16:9 screen of the same height with the zoom set to 1.0x

Seems like it'd work with the projector mounted to 11'3" throw and be easy to just reach up and set the zoom to max or min depending on content......if i'm mistaken please let me know as I want to be certain before buying the screen. If this seems like a bad idea then i'll just go with the original plan of a 16:9 106".

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Technically you need 1.33x zoom for CIH, while the W1070 has only 1.30. In practice that just means that if you've got a 2.35:1 screen, when you zoom for 16:9 it will just spill over your screen edge a bit, probably not a big deal. Looks like the 1070's got plenty of Lens shift so you should be OK there too.

You'll want masking on the front wall and probably the ceiling by the screen to absorb the overspill.

·
Banned
3,901 Posts
There's a guy who did just that on the w1070 forum. But he put a sliding ceiling mount to get the best of both worlds and be able to move the projector closer to still be able to do 16:9 full rez. It's in the last dozen or two pages.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
It's only about 3% short on zoom range, IMO that's not enough to worry about. I'd just mount it to fill the scope screen and then zoom out and not worry about the overscan.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Looks like the 1070's got plenty of Lens shift so you should be OK there too.
The W1070 has a total lens shift of about 20% of the screen height. Depending on how much of that is already "used up" in the 16:9 position, there may not been enough to cover the additional shift when zooming to 2:35.

·
Banned
3,901 Posts
I tried the zooming method on my w1070 and it doesn't have enough zoom or lens shift to do it properly with a 2.37:1 screen. And it's certainly tedious. I wouldn't bother.

I recommdend just set up the projector once, using a 1920x810 resolution in windows and ignore the lost resolution for 16:9 content shrunk to be in center frame.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
The W1070 has a total lens shift of about 20% of the screen height. Depending on how much of that is already "used up" in the 16:9 position, there may not been enough to cover the additional shift when zooming to 2:35.
Interesting, that's not what the manual looked like, but I only looked really quick.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I tried the zooming method on my w1070 and it doesn't have enough zoom or lens shift to do it properly with a 2.37:1 screen. And it's certainly tedious. I wouldn't bother.

I recommend just set up the projector once, using a 1920x810 resolution in windows and ignore the lost resolution for 16:9 content shrunk to be in center frame.
I'm confused (and a total newb as far as projectors/aspect ratios go)...can you explain your recommendation a bit? Your saying get a 2.35 screen right? And then i don't quite understand the other part about in windows (is that a menu thing with the W1070? i don't have one yet) and the part about lost resolution and shrinking.

So if i get a 128" 2.35 screen for a W1070 at what distance from screen should i mount it and what will the 16:9 content look like (and what size will it be) if i just switch the content aspect ratio on the projectors menu (and not fiddling with manually zooming/shifting at all)?

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Interesting, that's not what the manual looked like, but I only looked really quick.
The manual shows a minimum offset of 10%, and a maximum offset of 30%, i.e., an adjustment range of 20%.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
So if i get a 128" 2.35 screen for a W1070 at what distance from screen should i mount it and what will the 16:9 content look like (and what size will it be) if i just switch the content aspect ratio on the projectors menu (and not fiddling with manually zooming/shifting at all)?
You can use a throw distance calculator, or simply move the projector manually before mounting it, to a distance where the pictures fills the screen width with the lens fully zoomed in (largest displayed image).
As for the aspect ratio, you do not change any setting in the projector menu when switching between 16:9 and 2.35:1 movies. The so-called 2.35:1 movies actually have an overall aspect ratio of 16:9, but with black bars on the top and bottom to give an "effective" aspect ratio of 2.35. This is transparent to the projector.

·
Banned
3,901 Posts
I'm confused (and a total newb as far as projectors/aspect ratios go)...can you explain your recommendation a bit? Your saying get a 2.35 screen right? And then i don't quite understand the other part about in windows (is that a menu thing with the W1070? i don't have one yet) and the part about lost resolution and shrinking.

Unless you have a sliding mount like the guy made over in the w1070 thread, you're not going to be able to use a 2.37 : 1 screen and get full resolution 16:9 by zooming out.

What I meant is just ignore the tops and bottoms of the letterbox frame. If you're using an HTPC you can set a custom windows desktop resolution of 1920x810 (with gpu scaling disabled), and set up your projector to fill up your 2.37:1 screen then leave it alone. If you click on a 16:9 show it will play back fine but instead of being 1920x1080 it will be 1440x810 because you're no longer using the extra vertical resolution.

Buy a 2.37 : 1 screen, set it up properly, and if it bugs you that when you watch 16:9 content you've lost some resolution and brightness, you can always add a sliding ceiling mount to do what the zoom method would otherwise have allowed you to do, on projectors with enough zoom range. The w1070 is just barely not zoomy enough to do this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you end up being able to use the zoom method without adjusting the position of the projector with your low ceiling?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts