AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

After extended reading here and reviews, I have narrow down my choice two these two PJs. Which one should I get? W1070 Benq or Optoma HD25? They both are about the same price. Anything else I am missing for under $1k? Thanks.

·
Registered
253 Posts
A couple things to consider.

With the BenQ you are limited to DLP Link glasses for 3d. The Optoma allows DLP Link, IR, or RF 3d glasses.

Another issue is support. If it had to be returned to someone for repair, where do you send it.

I would check out their websites for addresses and phone numbers. Maybe even call customer support to see

how long it takes to get a living person.

I have an Optoma HD33 but will be looking at the HD25-LV when it's released.

Just my 5 cents worth. (2 cents worth adjusted for inflation)

td

·
Registered
253 Posts
The HD25-LV is rated at 3200 lumens. My 33 is 1800. I'm thinking the extra light would help while watching 3D.

Also the 25 has the Dark Chip 3 which is supposed to have better blacks than the DC 2 in my 33.

There is also more control for calibration on the 25.

td

·
Registered
54 Posts
urbeenjammin, how do you like the projector?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Coming from a very happy owner of Epsons from the last 5 years or so,lastly the 5020UB,i had to test the waters of the DLP world since 3D has become my main priority. Not into games but strictly movies. Some might say that I'm crazy to leave the Epson behind and jump into an Optoma.But having a Firehawk G3,i thought that might help the black level.Only the experts here can truly say if that makes a difference. I'm not sure, but after spending a week and counting, i can now understand the buzz about this technology. The 3D is simply an amazing experience. Very satisfied with it. The 2D is incredible as well.Watched "The Impossible" and there was nothing disappointing about the visual presentation.the last close up scene was an indication of how superb the technology is. It definitely left a lasting impression.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am reading this as you like your HD25lv better than your Epson 5020? Is the HD25lv too bright in my totally dark room with no window? You guys think the hd25 is better in my room?

·
Registered
262 Posts
You might have to get someone else's opinion on brightness. But for me, my set up for movie viewing is very dark (darker than a cinema theater). I don't think you can go too bright with anything. You have the eco mode and you can always turn down the brightness as well. Keep in mind, as the bulb ages, the brightness goes down as well. For my main objective (3D),I am happier with the Optoma, and that's an understatement... lol.The Epson is twice as much and having had both, i can say that the 5020UB is more than worth it. You will not be getting an inferior product with the Epson. It just truly depends on what you are looking for.

·
Registered
262 Posts
As noted above,i'm not what you would consider a "technical expert" and will hardly explain it in that manner as well.I am fairly basic when it comes to calibrating,limited to calibration discs and don't have any instruments outside of that.Well maybe just an SPF meter...lol.

I come from a background in graphic arts as well as fine arts and rely on that in the end to finalize the video presentation on my display.With all the calibration you can do technically,i feel that how it really looks visually in the end is what truly matters.

As far as the RGBYMC controls,i felt that it was crucial and indeed helpful.Each one allows you to manipulate the Hue,Saturation and Gain,i guess that's basic...WIth the Green and Yellow,i ended up toning them down and the Blue and Red were increased.(For 3D, i ended toning down the Yellow as well)

I have some basic philosophies that i go by: Go as deep with your blacks without crushing and loosing the details,Go as bright without blooming and losing the details.Second,the skin tones have to stay realistic without over coloring.The skin is probably going to be the least "colorful" in a real world.And as far as color,you would like a vibrant picture without bleeding of course.Contrast from my background in art has been very affective in visually presenting your "art" The more the better but still staying within my basic guidelines.

P.S.

Frame interpolation:

With the Epson,i basically had it to low and with 3D, it was completely disabled.

From Kaine and a few other forums i visited,it was noted and concluded that the Optoma was triple flash compatible in 3D.Don't ask me how to explain that one.How do you go from 2D to 3D and end up with 144 Hz.? Where in 2D,Optoma can only do 120 Hz.

Anyway, i didn't really miss it on 2D since my use was very minimal.In 3D,the motion was very smooth with no artifacts to be seen and didn't have any judders or vibrations like the Epson did.The 5020 had a difficult time handling certain movies and contained "minimal vibrations" that's how i would explain it.Avatar was a good example where the Epson had this issue throughout.Optoma with the so-called triple flash was very smooth and didn't exibit any "vibrations or judder" and this is what i hoping for as well as the "non-ghosting"

Some of the difficult 3D movies with the 5020 when viewed with the Optoma had so much depth and realism,it was an eye opener indeed.Prometheus had a reputation as being very minimal with the 3d presentation from a lot of reviewers.So i revisited that one and was almost in disbelief with how much Pop and depth it had! It is one of the movies i am looking forward to with the Optoma.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am still having a hard time decide on which one after reading thread after thread, review after review: W1070 or HD25. Anyone else can steer me one way or another? When is the Optoma HD131X available in the US? Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm about to go crazy with so many options, reviews and threads...it's a good thing we can do some research on the internet about things we plan on buying but it can makes us really confuse. hehehe

Ok, so my "confusion" is that I plan on buying my first projector and i don't want to go bankrupt after I buy it. I will be using it mainly for movies, 3D movies, concerts in blue ray and video-games. It will be a dedicated room with controlled ambient lighting. Which one you guys would go for ? BenQ W1070 or the HD25-LV ?!

I want to mount on my ceiling which is 9' high and the projector will be 9' away from the wall. Which screen do you guys recommend ?

thanks!

·
Registered
100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiagovlira  /t/1472016/benq-w1070-or-optoma-hd25#post_23318119

Hey guys,

I'm about to go crazy with so many options, reviews and threads...it's a good thing we can do some research on the internet about things we plan on buying but it can makes us really confuse. hehehe

Ok, so my "confusion" is that I plan on buying my first projector and i don't want to go bankrupt after I buy it. I will be using it mainly for movies, 3D movies, concerts in blue ray and video-games. It will be a dedicated room with controlled ambient lighting. Which one you guys would go for ? BenQ W1070 or the HD25-LV ?!

I want to mount on my ceiling which is 9' high and the projector will be 9' away from the wall. Which screen do you guys recommend ?

thanks!
i would go with the HD25, not the HD25 LV unless you really need that extra lumens. The HD25 allows for more flexibility as far as throw distance, the W1070 is a short throw projector. Also HD25 got lots of good review, you can google it and see for yourself. I just bought my HD25 this ,morning from projector people.

They are both good projector from what I hear, just know there are limitations because these are sub $1000.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.