AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My partner has asked if we can have a projector in the lounge room (I already have a dedicated batcave with an RS20 in the basement). It's for night viewing, but there is some light coming in through a window so it won't be ideal.

I can get a refurb RS20 for the same price as a new W1070. Obviously the RS20 is better in a very dark room, but how about in a less than perfect room? The W1070 should be twice as bright.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To answer my own question, the RS20 is better even in a crappy room.

I bought both and tried them out.

The W1070 has a nice image and is very bright. But even in an imperfect room the poor black levels are its downfall. They are worse than the decent DLPs I used to have years back before I moved to JVCs.

Neither projector looked that great in bright scenes which lit up the white walls and killed ANSI contrast, but the darker the scene the better the JVC looked.

So now I have two of them.

:)

I suspect the ideal projector for such a room would be one with a good dynamic iris.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
"So now I have two of them."

Ditto, sort of. I used to have the RS 20 prior the current RS45 and the BenQ. The latter was used for TV and sports while the former is for serious movie viewing. I was tempted to replace the BenQ with the LG FP1500 LED pj but decide to hold on, since I "might" also see RBE on the LG.

Have fun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts