AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide. I just joined the forum but have lurked for years. Tons of great advice. But now I have a more specific question I wasn't able to find a solid answer to just by looking at existing threads.

Sadly i'm having problems with my BenQ w1070, it seems to be overheating. It's been two years since I bought it. It was new then, but now well out of warranty. The lamp has never been replaced and still seems to be working properly (no display issues or anything). I always use eco mode and it has less than 1000 hours on it. So the lamp should still have plenty of life left.

A few months ago, the lamp suddenly went off while using it. The device shut down on its own shortly after, leaving two solid red lights over the Power and Temp buttons. I gather from searching that this is some sort of error code indicating an overheat, probably related to a fan issue. The projector allowed me to turn it back on and continue using it, though the problem would randomly reoccur every few days. I enabled high altitude mode in hopes the higher fan speed would help cool it better, it worked for a while. But the problem has returned and has gotten immensely worse. Now I am no longer able to keep it on for more than a few minutes.

I followed a guide to open and disassemble it. Cleaning out any dust I could see. I even took out the circuit board to access the blower at the bottom. Besides some slight dust (which I cleaned out) it didn't seem obstructed by anything. None of this helped, still having the problem.

After looking online, I found a button combo that accessed some hidden menus. This led me to a list of possible error codes that had been logged. The lamp itself had one error code, but I believe this was due to a recent power outage and probably isn't related to my persistent and continual issue. There was another part that had 9 errors logged, "fan 1 speed error" I believe it said. So I suspect there's a problem with one of the fans. Not sure which of the fans is "fan 1" though. As far as I can tell, the fans that are visible from around the side and front vents seem to be functioning. I'm concerned the problem may be the blower deeper inside that directly cools the lamp. Though others may know better.

Most similar reports on this forum seem related to an exploded lamp where shards of glass obstructed the fans. My original bulb is still intact and function though, I still cleaned and checked them for any possible obstruction. Didn't find anything.

So the question is does anyone have any advice about what my options are for dealing with this? Is this something i'm going to have to contact BenQ about, or are there any other solutions I can try on my own?

If there's a DIY solution that anyone knows about, i'm open to it. I was comfortable enough with disassembling the projector, so I think I could swap out a fan or something if that could fix it. IF I can identify the defective part and find somewhere to buy a new one.

Again I appreciate any advice anyone can provide on the matter. I really enjoy this projector and am sad I can't use it right now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
I got the same issue one month back (2 red leds and "fan 1 speed error" in diagnostic menu)...and just one month after warrently expiration. Like you I fully clean the device without success.

In the hidden menu section "2" showing the fan speed, I disable the error detection and saw that my fan was reducing its speed after some minutes of execution. The fan was still turning and the temperature was increasing but after few minutes the fan speed increased back again in the good range. Unfortunatly, it decreased again and I ve to shut down the system to avoid very hot temperature and damage it.

The fan 1 is the one located on the front side. This is a 3 wires fan. According to the datasheet of this fan (ADDA AD 07012DB257300), the third wire is reporting the fan speed so I guess there is a problem with the Fan. I did not check if the power supplied by the mother board is correct and I guess it is (I cross fingers).

Then, I order a new fan and waiting for it and let you know if it solve this problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I just disabled the error check temporarily and watched that fan menu for a few minutes. Seems useful. There are four fans, the menu shows the target RPM each fan is supposed to spin at and also what the fans are actually spinning at in real time.

Fans 2, 3 and 4 all seem to be running well, they're hitting their targets pretty much perfectly. Fan 1 is clearly having problems though, its target is 1900 RPM and it's definitely failing to reach that. It briefly reached close to 1900rpm when I first switched it on. But it was already starting to drop. It dropped below 1000 RPM within about 5 minutes. A couple minutes later, it had dipped below 700 RPM and was still falling. I felt the front vent and there was definitely less airflow and much more heat than normal.

Temperature #1 shown at the top of the menu has also climbed since I turned it on. Dunno what this is supposed to be, but it started around 280, and climbed to 320. I've switched the projector off in fear of damage, can't be good to keep it running in this state.

So i now know the problem is a malfunction with the front vent fan. Now the question is whether replacing the fan will fix the problem, or if the issue goes deeper. The fan itself seems like a relatively easy and inexpensive fix. Ones with this model number can be found for the $10-15 range on Ebay or other places. I assume you bought one of those?

Please do let me know how it goes when you get yours and install it. I appreciate it. It would be great if the fix was this simple, hopefully it isn't a deeper problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi,
What is the secret combination of combo button?
Thanks
Open the normal menu via the menu button. While inside the normal menu, hold both the Enter and Source buttons at the same time. I think you need to do this via the buttons on the projector itself, not the remote. If you did it correctly, the regular menu should disappear and several numbered squares will immediately appear in the upper left hand side of the screen. This is the secret menu, you can scroll through it like you would the normal menu.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there from Berlin,

I just registered as I have encountered what seems to be the exact same problem: My W1070+ worked amazing for almost three years, the lamp counter says 1232 hours and all of a sudden the unit shuts down after circa fifteen to twenty minutes and the two red lights appear. Altitude mode does help but is very noisy, thought about changing the lamp but will definitely check the fans before doing that.

I'm very interested to see your results and will post mine, see you soon!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just entered the secret menu, saw that Fan 1 failed three times and observed it while watching random videos:

It should rotate at 2300rpm and did that for about 15mins, after that, 2200rpm for about 5mins and then it dropped quite fast and shut down at around 1500rpm. Temperature 1 was at 290, no indication whatsoever of temperature 2 (0).

The picture looks good and seems as bright as ever... at least I'm happy with it after three years of usage.

What to do what to do... :confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just entered the secret menu, saw that Fan 1 failed three times and observed it while watching random videos:

It should rotate at 2300rpm and did that for about 15mins, after that, 2200rpm for about 5mins and then it dropped quite fast and shut down at around 1500rpm. Temperature 1 was at 290, no indication whatsoever of temperature 2 (0).

The picture looks good and seems as bright as ever... at least I'm happy with it after three years of usage.

What to do what to do... :confused:
I've gone ahead and order a replacement fan. At worst i'll only be set back about $12, and it probably won't hurt the projector to try it. It should just shut down if it doesn't work. It will probably take a while to deliver, these are generally parts shipped from China. But i'll report back on my results in this thread when/if it gets here.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've gone ahead and order a replacement fan. At worst i'll only be set back about $12, and it probably won't hurt the projector to try it. It should just shut down if it doesn't work. It will probably take a while to deliver, these are generally parts shipped from China. But i'll report back on my results in this thread when/if it gets here.
Where did you order your replacement fan from? I have the exact same problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I well received the new fan order for less thant 10$.
The fan is slightly different. The wire was half as original one (even if the picture of the vendor was showing long wire).
With this new fan, the system was running good for about 4 hours.
I ll let you know if the problem come back after longer run.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well that sounds like a promising sign, thanks for the update!

Again if you haven't done it yet, refer to the hidden menu I mentioned a few posts up. That should give you some valuable information on how the fan is performing. A better way to diagnose issues than just waiting unknowingly for it to potentially fail. The menu tells you the target RPM the fan SHOULD spin at, as well as the RPM it's actually spinning at in real time.

If it's reaching somewhere in the range of the target, it's probably performing correctly. It seems that it can vary slightly, like being off within 50-100 RPM or so. Mine eventually dropped by over a thousand however, so definitely a problem.

It looks like it'll take a while for mine to get here, assuming it DOES get here. Might have been better to order one from aliexpress instead of ebay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay i've got an update, and a positive one at that. I got my replacement fan today and installed it. I've not tested this for a particularly long time yet, a bit over 45 minutes so far. But thus far everything appears to be functioning correctly. Previously the fan would have immediately started dropping RPM's and the projector would have forcibly shut down quite a while ago. As I mentioned, the target RPM for Fan1 is 1900 for me. The new replacement seems to be doing an excellent job so far. Lowest drop i've seen has been around 1893 RPM, which is uncommon and it jumps right back up above 1900 immediately. It mostly hovers around the 1910s and 1940s. No errors or shutdowns so far. I shall of course continue to monitor things over the next few days. If it gives me any more trouble i'll post it here. But at least in this early stage of tested, things seem very promising. All signs point to the the fan being the culprit, thankfully not something within the circuit board itself.

The replacement fan was labeled the same brand as the one I took out- ADDA. I don't know if it is a genuine one or not since I bought it off Ebay from a Chinese seller. The wire was shorter than the previous one (someone else mentioned this about theirs above), but still comfortably long enough. The new fan may also be quieter, dunno if it's due to it containing different parts that affect the sound or if the old fan was struggling even before it started shutting down. Or perhaps it's just my imagination.

Not a bad deal for a $10 part, easy enough to replace yourself as it requires little effort and required relatively little disassembly to access. Hope it continues to function correctly.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Okay i've got an update, and a positive one at that. I got my replacement fan today and installed it. I've not tested this for a particularly long time yet, a bit over 45 minutes so far. But thus far everything appears to be functioning correctly. Previously the fan would have immediately started dropping RPM's and the projector would have forcibly shut down quite a while ago. As I mentioned, the target RPM for Fan1 is 1900 for me. The new replacement seems to be doing an excellent job so far. Lowest drop i've seen has been around 1893 RPM, which is uncommon and it jumps right back up above 1900 immediately. It mostly hovers around the 1910s and 1940s. No errors or shutdowns so far. I shall of course continue to monitor things over the next few days. If it gives me any more trouble i'll post it here. But at least in this early stage of tested, things seem very promising. All signs point to the the fan being the culprit, thankfully not something within the circuit board itself.

The replacement fan was labeled the same brand as the one I took out- ADDA. I don't know if it is a genuine one or not since I bought it off Ebay from a Chinese seller. The wire was shorter than the previous one (someone else mentioned this about theirs above), but still comfortably long enough. The new fan may also be quieter, dunno if it's due to it containing different parts that affect the sound or if the old fan was struggling even before it started shutting down. Or perhaps it's just my imagination.

Not a bad deal for a $10 part, easy enough to replace yourself as it requires little effort and required relatively little disassembly to access. Hope it continues to function correctly.
Good news. :) I believe the fan should be fine with a variation within +/-20% of its target rpm. As for the part being genuine or not, I suppose parts like this are sold in thousands for many projectors and other products, and they probably all come from the same places anyway; it should be as good as if it were a functional fan originally installed in the projector.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys, hows replacing the fan 1 working out? Has the problem gone away? I have benq w1080st with the same problem. I assume the fan to buy is the same? Has any1 tried installing heat sink or a big external fan too?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey guys, hows replacing the fan 1 working out? Has the problem gone away? I have benq w1080st with the same problem. I assume the fan to buy is the same? Has any1 tried installing heat sink or a big external fan too?
I'm happy to report the problem is definitely fixed with the replacement fan 1. I've been using the projector heavily since early April after swapping them. It has given me no further problems. And the fix only cost me about $10. So well worth it.

I don't know anything about the w1080st. It looks identical from the outside, so odds are probably good the fans are the same as the w1070. Though probably wouldn't hurt to open the device and check the label on the fan to make sure it matches the model number mentioned earlier in this thread. I can't comment on any more custom mods like heatsinks or external fans either.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey guys, hows replacing the fan 1 working out?
I replaced the fan in my W1070 with a AD07012DB257300 from AliExpress. Whilst it did fix the problem, the new fan is terribly loud. So much louder than the original. I wonder if there is a alternative model available which is a correct physical replacement but is quieter?

When the projector first starts, all the fans sit around 2300rpm and the temperature is around 200 degrees. After its been running a while, it gets loud. The fans are spinning at 3500rpm and the temp is 370 degrees. Whats the operating temp supposed to be?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Worked for me, easier than I expected.

I followed these instructions and it's been working great after 1+ hours of continuous watchtime (it used to shut down after 15-45 minutes, tops).

I wasn't super confident going in, but it was easier than expected. Fan #1 comes right out, and it's basically connected by a tiny plug.

I got mine off eBay - (search "New ADDA AD07012DB257300 12V 0.3A 7CM FAN For Benq W1070 Projector") - might even been quieter than the original!

This YouTube video ("BenQ W1080ST DLP Projector Cleaning / Service P1") provides clear instructions on how to take off the cover & get to the fan. You may have to pry the top off with a little more force than you're comfortable with, but just take your time and use some sort of wedge.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts