AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Similar Issue

I'm having a similar issue with my 1085st. I thought it was the bulb and ordered an oem bulb from BenQ but no luck. On accessing the hidden menu, i'm seeing a Fan 3 error. Zero rpm. Does anyone know which fan is #3 and if replacements are available?
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an HT1075 and I wanted to add on to the anecdotes that fixing the Fan #1 error (as seen in the #4 debugging menu) was as simple as replacing the fan part; ADDA AD07012DB257300.

I also have a theory as to why this fan is breaking. I have my projector on the bottom shelf of my coffee table. Ventilation is open in all directions, but it's still more stagnant air than it would be if it was completely in the open. My theory is that the ADDA AD07012DB257300 bearing is crapping out quicker than BenQ designed when the lamp temperature is getting a little higher than designed, since Fan #1 directly exhausts lamp heat. It experiences the highest temperatures of all the fans by far.

I've put two low speed 180 mm fans next to my projector on the shelf. This has lowered the lamp temperature by about 40 degrees. Before I received the replacement ADDA fan from China, this was actually enough to get a lot more time between Fan #1 errors than I had previously been experiencing. I'm hoping this will also make my replacement fan last much longer too, although I'll have to get another couple years of using this projector to find that out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having a similar issue with my 1085st. I thought it was the bulb and ordered an oem bulb from BenQ but no luck. On accessing the hidden menu, i'm seeing a Fan 3 error. Zero rpm. Does anyone know which fan is #3 and if replacements are available?
Thanks
Did your old lamp explode? If it did, I can almost guarantee there are glass shards in the blower fan. The blower fan is Fan #3 . I wanted to attach a screenshot from the service manual showing which fans are which, but AVS Forum won't let me post images with fewer than 5 posts. So here's the fan breakdown:

1. Fan #1: Lamp exhaust
  2. Fan #2: Power fan
  3. Fan #3 : Blower fan
  4. Fan #4: Inlet fan

Here's a YouTube disassembly video by someone who had that exact problem: watch?v=BCAGhq_QYrA I would post the full URL, but again, AVS Forum isn't allowing me to post links since I have fewer than 5 posts :serious:

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi,
Just checked my Benq 1075 Dignosis menu that my Projector Fan 1 given 18 errors and projector getting switched off in 10-15 minutes of useage.
Which Fan is this please guide me and servicing the fan will be fine or need to replace ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi,
I got the same issue one month back (2 red leds and "fan 1 speed error" in diagnostic menu)...and just one month after warrently expiration. Like you I fully clean the device without success.

In the hidden menu section "2" showing the fan speed, I disable the error detection and saw that my fan was reducing its speed after some minutes of execution. The fan was still turning and the temperature was increasing but after few minutes the fan speed increased back again in the good range. Unfortunatly, it decreased again and I ve to shut down the system to avoid very hot temperature and damage it.

The fan 1 is the one located on the front side. This is a 3 wires fan. According to the datasheet of this fan (ADDA AD 07012DB257300), the third wire is reporting the fan speed so I guess there is a problem with the Fan. I did not check if the power supplied by the mother board is correct and I guess it is (I cross fingers).

Then, I order a new fan and waiting for it and let you know if it solve this problem.

Plz share your experience after fan replacement.

·
Registered
54 Posts
This is interesting. My BenQ HT2050 sometimes shuts down.

First I'll turn it on and the fan will get really loud. That's when I know I'm in for trouble. If the fan doesn't quiet down it shuts down like its overheating.

Lately, the problem has gone away. The last time it happened I tapped the projector with a tick and the fan slowed down and I haven't had the problem since. I think I used the whack it method successfully twice.

I never knew about logs and possible fan replacements. But from this thread, it sounds like these projectors sometimes have defective fans.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my W1070 for 3 years and my bulb is now at 3K hours running in high altitude mode (I live over 6K feet). I purchased it in Sept 2015 and I started running into the overheating problem at the 3 month point. After some troubleshooting, I ended up shipping it back to Benq in Jan 16. They turned it quickly and I had it back in service, but eventually ran into the issue again and it went back in Mar 2017. Fortunately, Benq did not charge me for the second service even though it was out of warranty. The only frustrating part of their service was that they gave me no indication of what they did while they had it either time.

After that, I stopped using it in ecosmart mode and I haven't had it shutdown at all. But, now I've got 2 issues:

1.) My fan(s) are getting noisier. Being in high altitude mode all the time means there is always quite a bit of fan noise, but lately I've noticed more bearing noise, so I will probably order a new fan since they are so cheap.

2.) My menu choices are very limited. I don't know if this happened after the last service, but (for example) on the picture menu, the only setting I can adjust is the lamp power. I went through the service menu and didn't see anything that would indicate there is a setting to limit the menu choices, but mine are significantly reduced. Has anyone heard of this issue before?

Finally, since my bulb is at 3k hours, is there a recommended source for replacement bulbs?

Jeff

·
Registered
33 Posts
Have a weird one. I have replaced fan 1 and straight away the projector would work for longer but after about a month its gone back to switching off randomly with those two red lights. check the target rpm. They are all within range including fan 1 which is about 25000

Edit: and it is fan1 that shows an error log of 10

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an HT1075 and I wanted to add on to the anecdotes that fixing the Fan number 1 error (as seen in the number 4 debugging menu) was as simple as replacing the fan part; ADDA AD07012DB257300.

I also have a theory as to why this fan is breaking. I have my projector on the bottom shelf of my coffee table. Ventilation is open in all directions, but it's still more stagnant air than it would be if it was completely in the open. My theory is that the ADDA AD07012DB257300 bearing is crapping out quicker than BenQ designed when the lamp temperature is getting a little higher than designed, since Fan number 1 directly exhausts lamp heat. It experiences the highest temperatures of all the fans by far.

I've put two low speed 180 mm fans next to my projector on the shelf. This has lowered the lamp temperature by about 40 degrees. Before I received the replacement ADDA fan from China, this was actually enough to get a lot more time between Fan number 1 errors than I had previously been experiencing. I'm hoping this will also make my replacement fan last much longer too, although I'll have to get another couple years of using this projector to find that out.
Here's an update on this after about 3 months. At first, the replacement fan was fantastic. I could go back to Normal mode as long as I wanted without it shutting off. A couple weeks ago it shut off with a fan number 1 error, so I started going back to Cinematic mode full time (eco lamp power). Then today it failed again with a fan number 1 error. I've also been running the ambient fans to keep the temperatures lower this whole time, so maybe that's not helping as much as I hoped. I could prolong the inevitable longer with High Altitude Mode, but frankly I'm not willing to put up with the wind tunnel noise (I feel bad for those really at high altitudes!)

I wanted to try out my theory on the fan bearings getting damaged. I changed out the bearings in my first dead fan with some premium bearings from RC Bearings (referenced on another AVS thread about noisy W1070 fans). This did not work. It still shut down with a fan number 1 error. However, the fan was a little rickety, so I'm wondering if the pre-load spring isn't fully engaged.

Either way, this is getting really frustrating. I'm going to have to swap in the second AD07012DB257300 I ordered, and order some more. I was prepared to occasionally swap lamps every few years when I decided to get a projector, I was not ready to deal with cheapo fans ruining the whole operation every few months. It's turned me off BenQ projectors.

If anyone knows an alternate fan that will work I'd appreciate the tip. When I first started this hunt, I naively got a fan with the same dimensions and thought I could swap it in. However regular PC fans of course use traditional PC 3 pin or 4 pin connectors, which are a different size than the connector on the AD07012DB257300 fan.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Ha! Add mine to the list! Thanks for the secret menu codes - 7 Fan 1 errors!

Well, I was thinking of ordering the new W2700, this just seals the deal!

Gotta wonder about that Fan 1 issue - shouldn't fans with such important duties be spec'ed a bit higher for reliability?

Edit: called BenQ and they want 25 bucks plus 25 buck shipping to send this fan to Canada. NewEgg has it for 14 bucks shipped. Guess I'll fix it and keep as a spare now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
video projector position

I had the same problem with the fan1 speed collapsing few minutes after starting my Benq.
After several tries I realized that if I place the BenQ higher over the table, the problem disappears (it seems the air flow is facilitated). Hope it helps for you too.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Anybody could point to one(web link), that worked for him?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, Been reading a lot of posts and manuals but still cant seem to pinpoint the issue. Ill break it down in points hoping someone can point out the obvious.

1. Issue started with projector shutting down on temperature after 3-5mins of operation.
2. Dismantled projector and cleaned all fans including blower fan 3.
3. Satisfied, I assembled it all back but problem persisted.
4. More reading.
5. Went to hidden menu and found 3 errors on Inlet fan 4. (Confused at this point as it seemed to be running when tested)
6. Opened it up again and did a test. Inlet fan 4 ran sometimes but not always.
7. When I wiggled the PCB connector, it came off clean from the motherboard because of corrosion. Picture attached.
8. Managed to resolder the fan back to the board, fan starts up.
9 At this point I removed blower fan 3 again, put the motherboard back temporarily, connected all cables and fans and did a test on with the blower fan 3 outside to check its rotation and performance. All fans run on startup except fan 3. But here I got a lamp error so assumed there might be a interlock between the lamp and the fan coming on.
10. Installed the lamp and restarted.
11. Blower fan 3 runs after a few seconds of other fans starting. I pointed another table fan at the projector just to get air movement and prevent the bulb from exploding.
12. After 5 mins, both the lamp goes off and blower fan 3 goes off. Temperature indicator comes on. Tried three more times - same issue.
13. Now my question is assuming there is an interlock between the lamp and the blower fan 3, is it the lamp that cutting out first and hence the blower fan 3?
14. What confuses me even further is the location of the T1 thermal sensor on the service manual. Its nowhere near the lamp. Diagram attached.
15. I have marked what I think are the right flow directions for the fans are these correct? My projector was repaired before so these could be in the wrong directions.

Any comments / help appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
472 Posts
You say that a fan is spinning, but it matters how fast is spinning also. if it is out of the allowed tolerances, it will send an error code.
I have never went to that hidden menu, but I'm pretty sure that you could monitor the speed of each fan there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please could someone let me know what the operating temperature T1 is when your projector is running? According to the manual it should be less than 70DegC but my projector starts at 80degC.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Also try running it on high. When I was running mine on eco forever I started to notice some bulb flickers, running it on high a while cleaned that up and made the bulb normal again when I switched back to eco.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also try running it on high. When I was running mine on eco forever I started to notice some bulb flickers, running it on high a while cleaned that up and made the bulb normal again when I switched back to eco.
The bulb is probably old. I have done two things that seem to have worked so far.

1. Done a hard factory reset through the secret menus.
2. Manually increase speed of the Lamp fan to 3000 RPM

This drops the internal temperature by 10DegC and the projector seems to run without shutting down. I will do a longer run of two hours or more to see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Today I ran the projector for just over two hours using the high altitude mode and error check disabled. Max T1 was 120DegC. I think T1 is faulty as as soon as I start the projector, T1 already shows 70DegC. Would be interesting to know its exact location and if it can be repaired.

P.S Ignore fan zero speeds. The feedback wires are both broken but the fans are running on full speed.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
2. Manually increase speed of the Lamp fan to 3000 RPM
Hi and thanks for your infos.
Please could you give a detailed explanation for this? I saw the secret menu, saw the rpms, but I cannot understand how to modify them and which is the one I should modify.
Thanks.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts