AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Comrades, I purchased a new W1070 in March of 2013. The original bulb exploded last week, with just over 3100 hours. Obtained an Osram lamp housing and bulb through B&H and dropped it in. After five minutes, there's a pretty strong smell of overheating, and the top of the projector is hot. When I went to take out the assembly to check on the fan, I almost burned my hand, so something isn't getting cooled. The large front fan appears to be spinning, but I've read there are other parts necessary for cooling. Any suggestions?

Scott

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I haven't had to do a lamp replacement on my w1070 yet so I'm only guessing , but open her back up and make sure you didn't disconnect anything or forget to reconnect wires . Verify everything is in its proper place .

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't had to do a lamp replacement on my w1070 yet so I'm only guessing , but open her back up and make sure you didn't disconnect anything or forget to reconnect wires . Verify everything is in its proper place .
Thanks for the reply, but since I bought the integrated assembly, there were no wires to disconnect. Unscrew the old assembly, lift out, and drop in the new one. The projector turned on and the picture was beautiful, so I think everything is installed correctly. I'm guessing some part or parts of the cooling system need replaced.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Thanks for the reply, but since I bought the integrated assembly, there were no wires to disconnect. Unscrew the old assembly, lift out, and drop in the new one. The projector turned on and the picture was beautiful, so I think everything is installed correctly. I'm guessing some part or parts of the cooling system need replaced.
If the previous lamp exploded, then your problem is glass shards jamming the lower blower assembly. The only solution is to carefully take the entire projector apart as the blower is UNDERNEATH the main circuit board. There are some very fragile wires connecting things like the color wheel and control panel, so if you are not confident of your ability to disassemble and reassemble you should send it in to Benq for repair. It is out of warranty, but I'm guessing they will still charge less than a new projector will cost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts