AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this strange issue which started yesterday, my projector has a bunch of 'bands' where the color appears to be not converging properly (this is the best way I can describe it). Its most evident when viewing small text (usually only few pixels wide) thicker text looks better.

It looks to me like there is a somewhat straight line down the middle/center with it arching out on both sides and getting a bigger curve as it gets towards the very edges. These 'un-converged' pixels creating a kind of RGB rainbow pattern across my screen.

Does anyone know if this would be the color wheel or the dmd chip :eek: (or maybe something else) and if its the color wheel (which is my main suspect) I know I can clean it and the wheel sensor which could fix it but does it need to be, or can it be re-lubricated or anything like that at all?

I put a few photos of the problem (which I can also clearly see on the avsforum background)
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Verify you are sending the correct resolution to the projector and not some funky PC resolution.. Try a different source like a BRplayer or Set top box.. also a different cable.. until all the variables have been eliminated you can not assume it is the projector.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
It looks like the problem is DMD chip. Why it would make that pattern is very weird.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
This looks like a moire pattern, and is caused by squeezing too high a resolution into a system that has a lower spatial resolution (in the general case). In digital displays like a projector this can be caused by your source (in this case your computer it looks like) giving the incorrect resolution to the projector. Sometimes this effect is also seen with digital keystone correction as well. The W1070 supports a native 1080p (1920x1080) so your computer should specifically be set to that resolution, anything higher or lower will cause the issue you're seeing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Verify you are sending the correct resolution to the projector and not some funky PC resolution.. Try a different source like a BRplayer or Set top box.. also a different cable.. until all the variables have been eliminated you can not assume it is the projector.

Thank you so much you all just helped me solve it. I feel pretty dumb now but just wanted to report back what happened and to say I really do appreciate the help.

F****** keystone correction was on "1"! Somehow ive turned it on with my harmony remote and only noticed after airscapes suggestion while trying the PC/VGA input (which I have never used before with my laptop which Ive also never used with the projector) and while swapping sources I somehow made the keystone screen flash up for a second thats when I noticed it was not on 0. Having never used keystone, nor had this happen in the last year or so of owning the projector it did seem very odd to myself and feel silly now but just couldn't figure it out.

I did spend all afternoon trying lots of stuff before posting here. Along with about everything I could think of I even changed the bulb before posting. I then (ignorantly) thought I reset the projector to factory settings but stupidly didn't realise there was "reset picture settings" in the picture settings screen which is what I did and now I realise theres a separate "reset ALL settings" in 'advanced' settings.

I really just thought something was buggered and was already shopping for parts/new projectors. Needless to say I am happy that the projector is still kicking it as good as the day I bought it.
Once again thanks all for the help I am quite happy after realising that the only problem was the end user.:laugh:

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Wouldn't have guessed: good call Jarrod!

And this is why we avoid digital image trickery (like digital keystone instead of proper placement/lens shift) wherever possible :)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Ah, good, just glad you got it figured out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts