AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I am interested in buying:

Vizio 42” 5.1 Home Theater Sound Bar with Subwoofer and Satellite Speakers

MODEL NUMBER: S4251w-B4

to use with my benq W1070 which i just bought and used for a few hours. Love the projector but my current Vizio sound bar is a lot quieter than when I run from optical. I am not sure of the terminology of cables but normally I use an optical cable from my HDTV to my current VIZIO sound bar and sound is loud and intense (good enough for me) however when I use the (red, white) through the audio out speaker port on the BENQ W1070 and the sound was still ok but I had to turn it up a lot louder. In other words, the sound cut in about half.

The new model I mentioned above seems to be what I need but I was wondering what cable i needed to get to properly hook up the new system. Here are the connections that i have to choose from. as a side note I am willing to buy a adapter or converter if needed, but I am looking for the best way to hook it up to the Benq w1070.

Connections (Rear)
Analog Audio Input:1x Stereo RCA
Analog Audio Input:1x 3.5mm stereo mini jack
Digital Audio Input:1x RCA (Coaxial)
Digital Audio Input:1 x Optical (Toslink)

Thanks for the help and Sorry for the confusion if any. I tried best to describe, but I am not audiophile :)

· Registered
7,846 Posts
Worth asking if there is really no way to use a proper A/V receiver and 5.1 speaker setup which runs around $500 or less from accessories4less.com instead of using a sound bar which doesn't support HD audio and will do, at best, a weak job reproducing surround sound. Even a decent pair of stereo speakers is a better way to go in most cases, or a 3.1 setup with A/V receiver.

If you are 100% stuck on the sound bar, then consider one with HDMI input/output and HD audio processing. Otherwise, one with digital audio input will be okay.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks for the prompt reply. I tried plugging in my optical cable directly from sound bar to ps3 with no luck. I "Muted" the volume on the projector settings. Do i need to change a setting in the projector or the ps3 by chance? Thanks.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:

I agree I could probably invest in a more complex setup but I am mainly trying to have less wire clutter as I already have tons of game systems hooked up to several HDTV all in the same room so I don't really have room to set a bunch of speakers at this time. Sound bar sound is good enough for me. I watch a movie maybe once every 3 days :)

· Registered
7,846 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellcreekdino  /t/1518068/benq-w1070-sound-bar-help#post_24368380

Thanks for the prompt reply. I tried plugging in my optical cable directly from sound bar to ps3 with no luck. I "Muted" the volume on the projector settings. Do i need to change a setting in the projector or the ps3 by chance? Thanks.
The PS3 has sound settings which you MUST tell to use the optical connection. If HDMI is detected and that HDMI supports audio, then the PS3 will default to using the HDMI audio output and must be changed manually.

· Registered
7,846 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellcreekdino  /t/1518068/benq-w1070-sound-bar-help#post_24368384

I agree I could probably invest in a more complex setup but I am mainly trying to have less wire clutter as I already have tons of game systems hooked up to several HDTV all in the same room so I don't really have room to set a bunch of speakers at this time. Sound bar sound is good enough for me. I watch a movie maybe once every 3 days
You really should talk more about it in the audio sections, but having one A/V receiver which you can plug all your game systems into in one spot, and all the audio is handled through that A/V receiver will actually simplify your overall setup.

Speakers themselves only get two wires each, typically combined into one cable. So, three wires will hardly be worse, and the upgrade in sound quality will be significant. Seriously, VERY significant, for similar cash. Up to you obviously, but you won't likely hear many people who would recommend a sound bar in this situation that seems to properly support left/right/center speakers with a subwoofer and decent A/V receiver.

It'll take a bit of time to setup properly, but not to hard and really worth it considering the upgrade you will get.

· Registered
1 Posts
I am also trying to figure this out with my benq1070 and a sony 370 soundbar/ wireless sub. I get so so volume with my soundbar set maxed at 50 with the projector/soundbar/ bluray player setup. You can hear them but nothing impressive. I think you have to have a seperate reciever to control volume outside the soundbar like you would with it hooked to a tv or cable box controlling the volume. We had my sound bar and sub hooked up blutooth with an ipod and they sounded great outside but volume control was done thru the ipod to get them loud not the unit volume control only making them loud.

-rich

Quote:Originally Posted by hellcreekdino 

I agree I could probably invest in a more complex setup but I am mainly trying to have less wire clutter as I already have tons of game systems hooked up to several HDTV all in the same room so I don't really have room to set a bunch of speakers at this time. Sound bar sound is good enough for me. I watch a movie maybe once every 3 days

You really should talk more about it in the audio sections, but having one A/V receiver which you can plug all your game systems into in one spot, and all the audio is handled through that A/V receiver will actually simplify your overall setup.

Speakers themselves only get two wires each, typically combined into one cable. So, three wires will hardly be worse, and the upgrade in sound quality will be significant. Seriously, VERY significant, for similar cash. Up to you obviously, but you won't likely hear many people who would recommend a sound bar in this situation that seems to properly support left/right/center speakers with a subwoofer and decent A/V receiver.

It'll take a bit of time to setup properly, but not to hard and really worth it considering the upgrade you will get.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.