AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello everybody,

I recently got into the projector world first with a BenQ W770ST, which I liked…but thanks to Amazon return policy I had the chance to try a Optoma HD131X as well. I was not really impressed with the hd131…and since online I found this two deals I`m asking you...

Optoma HD83 (a 5k projector, I assume the lens and hardware are top class, and the image as well) VS BenQ W1070(great reviews all over).

I can get them for around $700…same price. What would you do?

I normally watch movies in a darkened room.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

What are your viewing habits? Only movies!

What is your room like? Bedroom no light

What are your room dimensions? 180inx220in ceiling 130in

What are your room colors? Cream walls and hardwood floor

What is your throw distance (lens to screen distance)? Flexible i can go ceiling mount or shelf behind the bed

What is your viewing distance - seated eye position to screen? I`m on the wall opposite to the screen so max distance 180

What are your quality expectations? I got nice audio, I just want to get the best for the price under 1000...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Why did you not like the optoma hd131? Can you please give a detailed reply I'm very curious! Thanks. I will have both in my hand next week and will be able to make a comparison at that time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

It`s not that I didn`t like it, just I was not impressed. The Optoma for sure has way less rainbow effect, but I liked the colors better on the BenQ. Actually since the BenQ was closer to the screen it was brighter as well, even if they say the Optoma should be very bright. I`m still using the Optoma but I`m thinking to get the W1070 or the HD82. I don`t understand why there is so little info about the HD82. It was supposed to be the top of the line…I assume the lens, the components, the image in general should be way better than an entry level for $1000 nowadays even if it`s 3 years old. The only thing is the 1300 ANSI lumen which sounds low…but in a few reviews they even say it`s very bright.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Ok, so I got the Optoma HD82. I paid $600 for it, it is refurbished.

Well now I`m impressed. First of all is as bright as the Optoma HD131 even if in the specs the last one has 1000 lumen more. The  image quality is just 10 times better on the HD82. No rainbow effect, super clear image, very good contrast, amazing colors…it`s on another level. 

Since they`re the same price I wouldn`t even think about it and get the HD82 which now is on ebay from the same seller for $700. 

Only problem is the HD82 is so big I was scared at first, it`s 3 times bigger than the Benq and the Optoma I had. 

Ah it has a lot of controls more for the lens which makes the positioning easier.

·
Registered
112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyPsychotic  /t/1524596/benq-w1070-vs-optoma-hd82-00#post_24580672

Ok, so I got the Optoma HD82. I paid $600 for it, it is refurbished.

Well now I`m impressed. First of all is as bright as the Optoma HD131 even if in the specs the last one has 1000 lumen more. The  image quality is just 10 times better on the HD82. No rainbow effect, super clear image, very good contrast, amazing colors…it`s on another level. 

Since they`re the same price I wouldn`t even think about it and get the HD82 which now is on ebay from the same seller for $700. 

Only problem is the HD82 is so big I was scared at first, it`s 3 times bigger than the Benq and the Optoma I had. 

Ah it has a lot of controls more for the lens which makes the positioning easier.
ive seen that deal, is the optoma a good surprise? how many hours did it have?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts