AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to spend $1000-25000 to replace my aging 720p sharp projector with a 1080p 3D capable one. 2D movies are my primary concern, but I need to be able to hook up a linux server via HDMI to the projector. I do not have any preference between LED and DLP.

The projector is going to be mounted 17' to 18' from a 60" by 72" screen. 2D movies are my primary concern, but I also want to make sure that lag is low enough that we can use it for video games. I was looking at the numbers and 18' seems to be on the edge of the envelope for the BenQ. Will the BenQ reach the screen adequately?

Would you recommend a Panny 8000 two and a half times over the BenQ for this and what about a Epson 3020?

Thanks,

Nils

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
If anyone who is going to watch it sees rainbows you're not going to want a DLP. It's totally jarring and takes me out of the immersion every time I see one. I've seen the 3020 and recommend it. Comes with 2 pair of 3D glasses also.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill  /t/1468263/benq-w1070-vs-pt-ae8000-vs-epson-3020-for-home-theater#post_23203833

If anyone who is going to watch it sees rainbows you're not going to want a DLP. It's totally jarring and takes me out of the immersion every time I see one. I've seen the 3020 and recommend it. Comes with 2 pair of 3D glasses also.

Yes and no. I am very rainbow sensitive and almost returned my Optoma HD3300 due to this and I am glad I did not. After about 3-4 months, I became acclimated to the projector and very seldom notice the rainbows.

In my opinion, there is no substitute for a DLP projector. DLP provides something that cannot be had in LCD technology and especially 3D. There is a reason reviews often state something about "that DLP image" as it really does exist. As far as 3D goes, you cannot go wrong with a DLP projector as there is literally NO crosstalk, none.

I would look for a projector with a minimum 6X speed and give it a try.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Does one really want to take a chance that RBE will go away after some months. What about infrequent viewers? Have you seen a 3020? It's CR is 40,000 vs 10,000 for the 1070. Projector central rates it very highly. Virtually no crosstalk when I saw it and RF 3D glasses.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The Panasonic kinda blows the 3020 out of the water. For a better comparison I'd look at the 5020. From those you've listed I'd use the Panasonic. Lag times are lower than the Epson and the feature list is better.

For what it's worth I think the lag times are over rated. I really struggled with the Epson 5020 versus the Panasonic based on lag times. I went with the Epson because the light output was higher. Once I actually started playing the Epson I hardly noticed any lag. I'm currently playing Bioshock Infinite and I don't have any issues. The only caveat to this would be online play as I've heard people say there could be issues there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin748  /t/1468263/benq-w1070-vs-pt-ae8000-vs-epson-3020-for-home-theater#post_23212450

The Panasonic kinda blows the 3020 out of the water. For a better comparison I'd look at the 5020. From those you've listed I'd use the Panasonic. Lag times are lower than the Epson and the feature list is better.

For what it's worth I think the lag times are over rated. I really struggled with the Epson 5020 versus the Panasonic based on lag times. I went with the Epson because the light output was higher. Once I actually started playing the Epson I hardly noticed any lag. I'm currently playing Bioshock Infinite and I don't have any issues. The only caveat to this would be online play as I've heard people say there could be issues there.

Thank you for the feedback. I am definitely going to push for the Panny 8000.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.