AVS Forum banner

2681 - 2700 of 6284 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
To be fair this is only a few models with this issue. Most have had totally fine working models with great colour etc. Benq has had extremely rapid turnaround for any RMA units and the new units dont have the DI issues. Its bad but its totally fixable. The DI certainly isnt useless in a correct working model. Soemtimes manafactures have faults ... nobodys perfect
Interesting, thanks for your input. I did get an earlier unit and so maybe that's my problem. I've had mine for at least 3 weeks or so.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Interesting, thanks for your input. I did get an earlier unit and so maybe that's my problem. I've had mine for at least 3 weeks or so.

I would return it if you have issues with the DI. Other peoples dont so why should yours.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Actually, as I've posted a few times in this thread already, my Epson 3500 never ever flickered that I can recall in the 3 years I owned it. And no clicking noise. Unless the clicking you're describing is extremely low in volume. Which I never heard anyways.

So yea I'll say it again, the HT3550 with it's DI constantly flickering even in normal lamp mode is pretty bad. And renders the DI almost useless.
I have a HC1040 and an HC2030 and both have a very audible DI (basically identical) and depending on the scene, the action of the DI to dim or brighten the scene is noticeable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
@scottyroo

Do you already know some details about the brighter version of the HT3550? Will it also have such a short throw as the TK800M?

I was really hoping to jump on the 4k HDR train this spring but currently the devices don't seem to be ready. Maybe after the summer.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mine is being delivered today.. I watch alot of hockey so I may be returning this if the flickering persists. I am coming from a Epson 2040 and the projector itself makes clicking sounds often when watching hockey but the picture itself does not really flicker that I can notice... can you not just turn off the IRIS while watching sports? Is the picture much much worse with it off?
OK.. set mine up on temp basis in desktop mode. Watched hockey game in 4K and all seemed ok. I did not mess around with settings too much.. checked Netflix 4K , Amazon Prime and Youtube 4K content and all seemed to work. I will be ceiling mounting on weekend. I would like to test the 25ft cable before I ceiling mount to ensure it is not going to be an issue. What is the best content to 'stress test' the cable and how do i know if it is working at full capacity?

·
Registered
224 Posts
OK.. set mine up on temp basis in desktop mode. Watched hockey game in 4K and all seemed ok. I did not mess around with settings too much.. checked Netflix 4K , Amazon Prime and Youtube 4K content and all seemed to work. I will be ceiling mounting on weekend. I would like to test the 25ft cable before I ceiling mount to ensure it is not going to be an issue. What is the best content to 'stress test' the cable and how do i know if it is working at full capacity?

I used my Panasonic UB900 to force 4K setting, 4:4:4, 60p. With a bad cable tests failed while with a new shorter cable it accepted the settings. I was also forced to directly connect video out of its HDMI cable and audio out to AVR because my audio kept cutting in and out every 30 seconds if I went through the AVR. In this case I believe my issue is a non certified 4K cable between my Panasonic and AVR. Ordering a 6 foot mono price today to test my theory.

Be patient and stay with holes in ceilings if you have to to ensure you have tried various content and cable configurations. Last night was the first time I got my test movie to play 4K/24/bt2020 (once I bypassed the receiver for video) prior to this I was only getting rec709 and dropouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts
So after a rough start, I finally have have everything functioning properly with the HT3550. I now have a 33ft Fiber HDMI cable running from my Pioneer Elite to the Projector and this has fixed all of the issues I was having. It was quite strange with the old HDMI cable, I was getting HDR from my Roku box but I couldn't even get 4K to work from my Xbox One X.

Picture looks really good, although I would like to play around with the settings some more. I am using Cinema Mode with DI, Brilliant Color, and SmartEco lamp mode. I tried all other modes (Vivid, etc.) and they look awful to me. Also when I enable Wide Color Gamut the picture looks terrible, like everything has a green tint to it.

I still get some startup issues, lately it has been the projector sound turning itself back on all the time (even though it's off in the settings and muted from my prior session). I am ceiling mounted and had some startup issues the first day where it would revert to normal picture mode, but this has never occurred again.

Overall I am now very pleased with the projector. I am projecting onto a 112" screen and even in HDR mode the brightness is fine for me (I came from a W1070, so nothing else to compare to). Setup is in my basement, with 3 small glass block windows that I have curtains to block the light. My biggest criticism of the projector is the Fan noise, but with most movies and games it gets blocked out as long as there isn't a quiet scene.

Looking forward to seeing if anyone has tweaked the settings to perfection for both HDR and Non-HDR 4K viewing and will give these a try!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I used my Panasonic UB900 to force 4K setting, 4:4:4, 60p. With a bad cable tests failed while with a new shorter cable it accepted the settings. I was also forced to directly connect video out of its HDMI cable and audio out to AVR because my audio kept cutting in and out every 30 seconds if I went through the AVR. In this case I believe my issue is a non certified 4K cable between my Panasonic and AVR. Ordering a 6 foot mono price today to test my theory.

Be patient and stay with holes in ceilings if you have to to ensure you have tried various content and cable configurations. Last night was the first time I got my test movie to play 4K/24/bt2020 (once I bypassed the receiver for video) prior to this I was only getting rec709 and dropouts.

I don't have a 4K player yet to test other than the XBox One S and I hear they are not good for 4K... I could connect my firestick direct to HDMI 2 of HT3550 and test.. what are the highest settings Netflix\Prime and youtube can output ? I think for most of my 4K content it says rec709 ...

·
Registered
63 Posts
New Cable Fixes Problems-Question About Signal Status

I don't have a 4K player yet to test other than the XBox One S and I hear they are not good for 4K... I could connect my firestick direct to HDMI 2 of HT3550 and test.. what are the highest settings Netflix\Prime and youtube can output ? I think for most of my 4K content it says rec709 ...
I was having trouble with my Xbox One X. Image and connection was really glitchy, and projector would say "no signal" lots. What cured it was getting active fiber hdmi cable. It is Atzebe 30 foot from Amazon. Tried it out last night, and so far it works perfectly and eliminated the problems I was having. Experimented with Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming through Xbox (4k, HDR, HD), and everything worked well.

A question for everyone out there. While I'm watching something (BD, streaming, whatever), is there a button on the remote I can press and instantly see the status of the signal, e.g., resolution, picture mode, etc? I know that I can hit the source button and OK. The screen blanks for a few seconds, and it then displays the status of the signal. Is there another method to get that information?

·
Registered
65 Posts
You can press menu and arrow left once to display the information pane which tells you resolution being displayed as well as color space (Rec 709 or BT.2020 “WCG”)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Dear all,

Share my setting as follow, all measurements were took by

Software: CalMAN 2019 Video Pro
Test Pattern Generator: VideoForge PRO
Meters: X-Rite i1 Pro 2 and Klein Instruments K-10A

in a well light control living room projected at a 126" 1.0 gain white sceren

All modes are set as:
Lamp: Normal
Brilliant Color: OFF
Dynamic Iris: ON
Movement Enhancer: HIGH

Enjoy!
Hey thanks for the effort!

Questions:
1. Why do you have movement enhancer set to ON? Personal preference?
2. Would these calibrations be wildly different from unit to unit?

·
Registered
224 Posts
The fact that my BR player puts out BT2020 and I can verify it on the projector end, the only thing I can deduce from that is that it's a function of your app/app source. I need to upgrade my NF to UHD plan which I haven't done yet but my feeling is that the limiting factor could be the NF app or NF itself.

·
Registered
224 Posts

Questions:
I have similar questions, for example, the calibration report each projector comes with. The other aspect of this is that we could have perfectly calibrated units but I prefer more pop of color than you might or vice versa, our vision, optics all these things play a big role.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Dear all,

Share my setting as follow, all measurements were took by

Software: CalMAN 2019 Video Pro

Test Pattern Generator: VideoForge PRO

Meters: X-Rite i1 Pro 2 and Klein Instruments K-10A

in a well light control living room projected at a 126" 1.0 gain white sceren

All modes are set as:

Lamp: Normal

Brilliant Color: OFF

Dynamic Iris: ON

Movement Enhancer: HIGH

Cinema Mode

HDR Mode (WCG: ON)

HDR Mode (WCG: OFF)

Enjoy!
Thank you for these settings. I just plugged them in and it looks great! Appreciate it.

·
Registered
509 Posts

Hi home4sale2,

Sorry for late reply, I received you PM but I can't attach photo on it so that I post here.

I can output 4K 24P 4:4:4 12 bit or 4K 60P 4:2:2 12 bit to HT3550 with these setting.

I am forcing the player output 60P as it FEEL bright than 24P when I watching UHD movies with filter on.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
The fact that my BR player puts out BT2020 and I can verify it on the projector end, the only thing I can deduce from that is that it's a function of your app/app source. I need to upgrade my NF to UHD plan which I haven't done yet but my feeling is that the limiting factor could be the NF app or NF itself.
Using an AppleTV 4K, almost all the 4K content I've tried so far on Netflix comes up as BT2020 WCG. There is a noticeable switch and a click from the projector every time I start something in 4K and I immediately see it in wide color gamut. Off the top of my head, so far I've seen this watching Planet Earth II, Lost in Space (the new Netflix series) and DeathNote (Also Netflix "Original").

·
Registered
509 Posts

Questions:
Hi,

1. Usually, I won't use movement enhancer, but for the entry level DLP projector, this function will make the image more stable,
and more POP, sharper and more contrast, I even force the player output 60P to watch 24P movie.
As I FEEL it is a little bit brighter and I need more lumen to watch UHD movie with filter on,
it is may not a proper way but a compromise.

2. As an ISF certified calibrator I would say each environment should have individual setting, on the other hand,
many user wish the reviewer can share the setting as they might not have the equipment to calibrate their display.
The user may treat this as a starting point and have their own fine tune.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Thank you for these settings. I just plugged them in and it looks great! Appreciate it.
Hi subacabra,

You're welcome and I like your HT3550 youtube video clip.

Thank you!

Reactions: subacabra

·
Registered
78 Posts
1. Usually, I won't use movement enhancer, but for the entry level DLP projector, this function will make the image more stable,
and more POP, sharper and more contrast, I even force the player output 60P to watch 24P movie.
As I FEEL it is a little bit brighter and I need more lumen to watch UHD movie with filter on,
it is may not a proper way but a compromise.
Does this setting cause the dreaded "soap opera effect" or is that just on TVs? I personally can't stand that, which is why I was wondering.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Does this setting cause the dreaded "soap opera effect" or is that just on TVs? I personally can't stand that, which is why I was wondering.
Yes, it will have a little bit soap opera effect, but with this function OFF, HT3550 only can project a flat and dull image in my 126" screen,
The picture even worse than my old HT1075 without any motion setting (as it doesn't have any), the HT1075 have brighter, more image depth picture.

2681 - 2700 of 6284 Posts