AVS Forum banner

3381 - 3400 of 6360 Posts

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
Generally available or just you Sage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As you can see above: Brandon got it too. And I know Scott did as well. They are prepping it to go live on the website. I’ll get my impressions up as soon as I get some time with it.

Reactions: home4sale2

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
How sweet it is....

·
Registered
229 Posts
Also the weird half screens when changing from 60hz to 24 hz signal and back seems to be gone as well. The screen does stay black for longer during the transitions now though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

They don’t want to scare us so best to keep us in the dark till it gets it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts
After more testing I think I will try to go with the Medium Iris setting for most content. Its not completely 100% unnoticeable when its working but its pretty close. What BenQ seems to have done is adjust how far the iris can clamp down for each setting. Low closes the least while High is able to close the most. I'm not sure if the speed of it is also affected but the range definitely is. Low only offers a tiny bit of contrast improvement, but it is completely invisible in its action. Medium offers better blacks and is not quite invisible 100% of the time in its action but its not bad either. High has a little better black level than medium but its not considerably greater but its action is noticeable on a good deal of scenes if you look for it. It does seem to be a little smoother though and while you can see the brightness change, there is less "flicker". So I'm glad BenQ is giving us the option to pick because it definitely seems like some people are more sensitive to the iris behavior than others, and if you're not you can choose the high setting, and if you are, you can choose low or medium and still get some improvement vs turning it off completely. Nice going BenQ.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Can everyone complaining about how the WCG filter looked better off/out of the way and Brilliant Color off check things again after the firmware update and report back please. Thank you.

The HT5550 had issues with these and incorrect color coverage that is to hopefully be addressed with a firmware of it's own.

Is this true of the HT3550 also (with different coverage percent of course):
Somewhat surprisingly, HDR10 with WCG turned on delivered a much smaller color volume with HDR content than the D. Cinema mode delivered with SDR wide color content. CalMan tests measured 101% of DCI-P3 as promised in D.Cinema with SDR test signals, but roughly 54% in HDR10 mode with Brilliant Color on and 57% with it off. In short, the test unit didn't provide 100% DCI-P3 coverage with HDR 4K Blu-ray discs, which is where you really want it. BenQ says that an upcoming firmware update will allow the HT5550 to deliver 100% coverage with Brilliant Color off, but that the HDR10 default setting will leave Brilliant Color on for better overall brightness and shadow detail at the cost of dropping DCI-P3 coverage to 84%. That new firmware is still in development at this writing, with no delivery date set.
Source: https://www.projectorcentral.com/Benq-HT5550-review.htm?page=Performance,-Conclusion

·
Registered
241 Posts
Any changes in the WCG is hard for me to judge because I almost never used it. It still looks better to me when you turn off brilliant color with it on. Things still look a little blue to me as well with WCG on so I still don't see myself using it.

I wish I had some actual measurements to confirm this but I swear it is not quite as loud as before. I wonder if they reduced the fan speeds.

They also fixed the bug in smart eco where if you pressed the iris button on the remote you could still turn the iris on, now if you try to do that you get a red .

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
Can everyone complaining about how the WCG filter looked better off/out of the way and Brilliant Color off check things again after the firmware update and report back please. Thank you.

The HT5550 had issues with these and incorrect color coverage that is to hopefully be addressed with a firmware of it's own.

Is this true of the HT3550 also (with different coverage percent of course):
Somewhat surprisingly, HDR10 with WCG turned on delivered a much smaller color volume with HDR content than the D. Cinema mode delivered with SDR wide color content. CalMan tests measured 101% of DCI-P3 as promised in D.Cinema with SDR test signals, but roughly 54% in HDR10 mode with Brilliant Color on and 57% with it off. In short, the test unit didn't provide 100% DCI-P3 coverage with HDR 4K Blu-ray discs, which is where you really want it. BenQ says that an upcoming firmware update will allow the HT5550 to deliver 100% coverage with Brilliant Color off, but that the HDR10 default setting will leave Brilliant Color on for better overall brightness and shadow detail at the cost of dropping DCI-P3 coverage to 84%. That new firmware is still in development at this writing, with no delivery date set.
Source: https://www.projectorcentral.com/Benq-HT5550-review.htm?page=Performance,-Conclusion

The HT3550 and HT5550 are wholly different projectors. The HT5550 uses a completely different color wheel from the HT3550. In addition to different optics, chassis, iris... you get the point.

PJC is reviewing the Ht3550 as well and I expect that review will drop soon.

·
Registered
653 Posts
No word on a hint of a bright version of this one?

·
Registered
104 Posts
So, I picked up the projector. It seemed at first like it hadn't been opened, but after taking it out I noticed this gross sticky stuff on the back grill (looks much worse in person than in the pic), and there's a thumbprint on the lens and I can't tell if there's scuffing or what else going on with the lens, but it looks like there are scratches. Also, the chromatic aberration is really bad. I haven't played with any settings, and to be honest I have no experience with projectors so I'll have to play with settings, but I'm not sure what my options are now.

Rev 01-101 (this is the updated version right?)

Attachments

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
No word on a hint of a bright version of this one?

Not yet. Honestly, I think we might have to wait until stock catches up on the HT3550 before we hear anything about the latest model. Especially considering that model uses many of the same components as the HT3550. Still, I’ll ask— doesn’t hurt.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
So, I picked up the projector. It seemed at first like it hadn't been opened, but after taking it out I noticed this gross sticky stuff on the back grill (looks much worse in person than in the pic), and there's a thumbprint on the lens and I can't tell if there's scuffing or what else going on with the lens, but it looks like there are scratches. Also, the chromatic aberration is really bad. I haven't played with any settings, and to be honest I have no experience with projectors so I'll have to play with settings, but I'm not sure what my options are now.

Rev 01-101 (this is the updated version right?)

Firmware 1.0.1 is the latest.

And I’m sorry to hear your suspicions were true. Sounds like you may have gotten a return that hadn’t been refurbished. Best Buy offered to refund the unit without the restock correct?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Firmware 1.0.1 is the latest.

And I’m sorry to hear your suspicions were true. Sounds like you may have gotten a return that hadn’t been refurbished. Best Buy offered to refund the unit without the restock correct?

My label shows revision 01-101, but the firmware on it is 1.00. Is this still the latest? It was manufactured in May.

And yes, best buy will take it back, though what a shame. The picture on my wall looks pretty good, but it's hard to tell without a proper screen. My wall is super bumpy.

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
And yes, best buy will take it back, though what a shame. The picture on my wall looks pretty good, but it's hard to tell without a proper screen. My wall is super bumpy.
You can have a great screen for $25, either for temporary or permanent use.

Roclon blackout cloth (its actually white), tack it to the wall. I've tried a bunch of the portable and removable Amazon screens and some from Ebay, they were horrible, plain old BO cloth looks as good as my Draper electric screen and beats those Amazon screens.

If you tack it carefully and stretch it properly, it won't even show waves and it will look as good as a framed screen. You can then either decide to keep it on the wall and frame it with Triple Black Velvet, or add or buy a Silver Ticket screen later. I use this as my 2.35 screen, then I also have an electric 16:9 Draper drop over the flush wall, but I have a projector with lens memory. The Draper and the BO cloth look exactly look identical from seating distance, up close the BO cloth is slightly smoother and better than the Draper.

I also own some higher end screens, including (2) Da-Lites with one being an old High-Power screen, so I know what a good screen looks like. BO cloth is still a very good material, and nothing comes close to the cheap cost you can make a very nice screen with it.

You can get it on Ebay or at Walmart, make sure to get White and not Ivory. If you get it from walmart, buy a broom or something else to roll it on, or buy the entire left over roll. It will be better than folding it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You can have a great screen for $25, either for temporary or permanent use.

Roclon blackout cloth (its actually white), tack it to the wall. I've tried a bunch of the portable and removable Amazon screens and some from Ebay, they were horrible, plain old BO cloth looks as good as my Draper electric screen and beats those Amazon screens.

If you tack it carefully and stretch it properly, it won't even show waves and it will look as good as a framed screen. You can then either decide to keep it on the wall and frame it with Triple Black Velvet, or add or buy a Silver Ticket screen later. I use this as my 2.35 screen, then I also have an electric 16:9 Draper drop over the flush wall, but I have a projector with lens memory. The Draper and the BO cloth look exactly look identical from seating distance, up close the BO cloth is slightly smoother and better than the Draper.

I also own some higher end screens, including (2) Da-Lites with one being an old High-Power screen, so I know what a good screen looks like. BO cloth is still a very good material, and nothing comes close to the cheap cost you can make a very nice screen with it.

You can get it on Ebay or at Walmart, make sure to get White and not Ivory. If you get it from walmart, buy a broom or something else to roll it on, or buy the entire left over roll. It will be better than folding it.

Thanks for the tip. I actually had a 135" (decided to up it from 120") Silver Ticket in my cart ready to check out, but I'll look into that blackout cloth first.

Edit: already took a quick look. Looks like it's only 54 inches. Might be cool for 2:35:1 though for sure.

3381 - 3400 of 6360 Posts