AVS Forum banner

4101 - 4120 of 6282 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Hmm, I mean from here it looks fine and pretty much like mine. When I was watching I thought everything was good looking and not over saturated.
That one shot of the escalators def has a lot of blue neon lighting etc but still looks nice I'd say.

I just watched the first two episodes last night.

Those vids look like what I saw. I see no issues here but then I’ve been accused of having less than stellar eyesight when it comes to highly compressed YouTube vids. :) The only really challenging scene during the first two episodes was the scene in episode 1 standing outside the mall under the blue neon lights. This scene looked a bit noisy but then I watched it on my VT60 and it was actually noisier so that appears to just be the scene.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Ordered direct from BenQ in July, the box I got says manufactured in May, hw rev 02-101, see photo.
Interesting stickers regarding various firmware revisions right there on the outside of the box.

Speaking of stickers, the box had obviously been resealed, there was a new clear sticker over the sliced open clear sticker.

The unit inside appeared totally fine, just as one would expect if they had never visited this forum. As it was, I gave it a really really close inspection and it was still fine, dare I say perfect. They could possibly improve things by having everyone who touches the thing wear cotton gloves right up until sealing the box, since that awesome brushed metal front panel material seems prone to showing a bit of handling (if, say, you're really fastidious and you breathe on it to expose smudges :> ). Anyway the lens was pristine.

The proof of course is in the operation of the unit. I'll turn it on when it gets dark. For now, just enjoying the usual unboxing fun.

Having created a few calibration reports in my life, can I just say the piece of paper in the box is not especially meaningful. It's a nice touch and is entirely consistent with their marketing message surrounding color accuracy, but you wouldn't hold it up as proof of a serious "calibration".

Ok since we're all friends here and it's a slow news day I just had to share the results of my research into the totally mysterious rebus printed on the case right next to the lens. RG2? Huh? Never heard that one before. I googled it. It stands for Risk Group 2. Upshot, don't look into the lens when the projector is running. Which the rebus might have conveyed better by leaving out the RG2 part. Thank you so much for that warning. Not just unnecessary but totally cryptic to boot.

More info (in plain English) on risk groups:

https://ctech.ul.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/10688-ORS-LED-Radiation-Safety-FAQ_8.5x11_V1-LR-1.pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ordered direct from BenQ in July, the box I got says manufactured in May, hw rev 02-101, see photo.
Interesting stickers regarding various firmware revisions right there on the outside of the box.

Speaking of stickers, the box had obviously been resealed, there was a new clear sticker over the sliced open clear sticker.

The unit inside appeared totally fine, just as one would expect if they had never visited this forum. As it was, I gave it a really really close inspection and it was still fine, dare I say perfect. They could possibly improve things by having everyone who touches the thing wear cotton gloves right up until sealing the box, since that awesome brushed metal front panel material seems prone to showing a bit of handling (if, say, you're really fastidious and you breathe on it to expose smudges :> ). Anyway the lens was pristine.

The proof of course is in the operation of the unit. I'll turn it on when it gets dark. For now, just enjoying the usual unboxing fun.

Having created a few calibration reports in my life, can I just say the piece of paper in the box is not especially meaningful. It's a nice touch and is entirely consistent with their marketing message surrounding color accuracy, but you wouldn't hold it up as proof of a serious "calibration".

Ok since we're all friends here and it's a slow news day I just had to share the results of my research into the totally mysterious rebus printed on the case right next to the lens. RG2? Huh? Never heard that one before. I googled it. It stands for Risk Group 2. Upshot, don't look into the lens when the projector is running. Which the rebus might have conveyed better by leaving out the RG2 part. Thank you so much for that warning. Not just unnecessary but totally cryptic to boot.

https://ctech.ul.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/10688-ORS-LED-Radiation-Safety-FAQ_8.5x11_V1-LR-1.pdf

Another May unit that was opened and resealed. I said earlier that I bet if we polled the owners of May units we'd find that their boxes were opened and resealed, I think it's definitely looking that way. Check that the throw on yours is normal. The lens should align with the bottom (or top if it's mounted upside down) of the picture. Mine isn't. I think they put it in upside down, because the direction of the vertical shift is completely off.

·
Registered
18 Posts

I asked representative from Benq Europa, why both projectors were opened. He told me that they must open projectors to add Netflix promotion in the box.

I don't know if this is true. At least they have good excuse to open box boxes and do whatever they do.

Both were April, rev 01-101 units.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Has anyone had problems with SBS 3D I can't seem to get it to work. Field sequential works fine.

mark
Think someone else had a similar issue - it was that SBS video was being output in upscaled 4K, but frame packed is 1080P 3D. The projector only supports 3D up to 1080P.

·
Registered
24 Posts

What is the beggining of the S/N ? Should start with PV**K

·
Registered
224 Posts
So I'm actually using those exact settings too (color management adjustments, WCG and BC both ON), and to my eyes pretty much all the colors, but especially those shades of blue that I mentioned pop like crazy. I don't know if the show is shot that way or if it's my Nvidia Shield's output, but I'm kinda paranoid that the HDR or Tone Mapping on my unit (which is a replacement) is not accurate - which is a big reason I got this PJ in the first place.

I know videos like the ones you posted aren't the best representation of what the eye sees so I'm still not 100% on this, but lord I wish we could be more confident in the consistency of this SKU.

Oh and thanks again for your response. I can report back later with exact timestamps on S2 so it's easier for you to check.
So, same settings here as well and the neon lights and blue in the mall popped so crazily that I thought my blue settings must be wrong, it just looked horrible so not sure if this was how the mall scene was shot or HDR10 settings are just bad. The rest of the episode looks great to me, I like these new settings. Thanks subacabra.

Also, a few other questions, hoping someone can answer.

on the Hifi settings, i started with a base (bright) which I never use but I compared and changed every setting to align with cinema mode (except ISF). Then I changed it to follow everything hifi recommends for SDR so now it's my SDR profile. Have I effectively achieved the base cinema profile plus recommended settings? Did I overcomplicate it?

As for User, I did something similar but eyeballed the settings I like to better match the settings I like for my computer.

Then I modified the cinema mode to match the HDR recommended settings. However, when you start HDR10 content (such as stranger things), it overrides my settings so I had to set them again. I hope I don't have to do it manually every time.

How are you saving these settings and under which profiles? Just curious.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Has anyone had problems with SBS 3D I can't seem to get it to work. Field sequential works fine.

mark
Called BenQ CSR & he checked with someone & said if plays bluray frame packed its working properly? But not designed to play Plex MKV's side by side. I had a HT2550 that I sent in for firmware update to fix side by side & they added HLG & then the SBS worked fine.

Isn't this kind of odd. I may be doing something wrong. I start the SBS go to 3D Mode select side by side it blacks out for a few seconds & nothing happens. Its like its getting out of 4K mode to be able to play it.

mark

·
Registered
560 Posts
Current unit RMA "not so much an" UPDATE ...

Was sent this response on July 3'rd 11:30am est:

Thank you for the pictures and will relay this information to our product managers.
It's currently July 10'th 12:30pm est and have yet receive a response/follow up/anything.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Current unit RMA "not so much an" UPDATE ...

Was sent this response on July 3'rd 11:30am est:

It's currently July 10'th 12:30pm est and have yet receive a response/follow up/anything.

Wouldn’t it be great if there was a forum member who had contact within BenQ and who might be able to forward said pictures directly to said product manager?.........

·
Registered
7,076 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Wouldn’t it be great if there was a forum member who had contact within BenQ and who might be able to forward said pictures directly to said product manager?.........

Wouldn't it be great if they acted like professionals, took all legitimate customer issues seriously and tried to alleviate the issue in a reasonable amount of time and people didn't have to resort to using "someone-who-knows-someone" to get their issues resolved.

I was going to go with:

Wouldn't it be great if someone genuinely wanted to help, didn't post meme's, and just PM'd "give me your info, I'll pass it on" instead of trying to seem magnanimous for "forum cred"

But I thought the first one was better'er'er

Reactions: tonybradley

·
Registered
78 Posts
So, same settings here as well and the neon lights and blue in the mall popped so crazily that I thought my blue settings must be wrong, it just looked horrible so not sure if this was how the mall scene was shot or HDR10 settings are just bad. The rest of the episode looks great to me, I like these new settings. Thanks subacabra.
Glad to see I'm not alone! Yeah rest of everything looked just fine - only the blues looked hyper saturated - another good example of this is a scene in Ozark season 1 where they're sitting by the pool at the motel. Everything looks desaturated (that's the way it was shot) except for the Blue colored items on screen.

How are you saving these settings and under which profiles? Just curious.
So the HDR settings in the "Secrets" review should only be applied to the HDR10 color profile, which the system automatically switches to when you play any HDR content. The Cinema profile should be used for the SDR settings on the review. So you shouldn't need to use any other profile besides Cinema. If you are in Cinema profile and start an HDR show/movie, the system will auto switch to the HDR10 profile.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Wouldn't it be great if they acted like professionals, took all legitimate customer issues seriously and tried to alleviate the issue in a reasonable amount of time and people didn't have to resort to using "someone-who-knows-someone" to get their issues resolved.

I was going to go with:

Wouldn't it be great if someone genuinely wanted to help, didn't post meme's, and just PM'd "give me your info, I'll pass it on" instead of trying to seem magnanimous for "forum cred"

But I thought the first one was better'er'er
Actually, when you first started having issues I asked you to get me pics/vid so I could forward to BenQ and you declined (in the most pleasant way, btw).

So...

The first time I offer to help you you respond with snark. The second time I offer to help you you decide the best course of action it to insult me.

So, I guess, congrats you win? :)

·
Registered
512 Posts
What is the beggining of the S/N ? Should start with PV**K
Yep, PVZ5K..

For now I'm just assuming that whatever BenQ saw fit to put in the box will work fine. They sold it as new and I expect it to work like new.

But I must admit, if BenQ is also selling a handful of these babies at half price, refurb or not, I would be ALL OVER that deal. When I called them they asked 'refurb or new?' and I immediately assumed 'new' would get me a July build and I would feel superior to all the early adopters and sleep the sleep of the righteous etc. It didn't occur to me to ask what the exact *price* of the refurb was.. That might have changed my opinion..

·
Registered
560 Posts
Actually, when you first started having issues I asked you to get me pics/vid so I could forward to BenQ and you declined (in the most pleasant way, btw).

So...

The first time I offer to help you you respond with snark. The second time I offer to help you you decide the best course of action it to insult me.

So, I guess, congrats you win? /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Dude, I literally replied to your post asking for a video with "I'm saying this with zero snark and am genuinely curious," (oh the irony) when you asked for a "‘slo-mo’️ @240 Hz" video of the issue and for me to "Upload it and I’️ll send it over to benQ" ... but that time I had already sent everything over to Benq and I was just letting you know, even capped it with a "I appreciate the offer to forward the videos to Benq" ... what can I say, sorry for being such the jerk.

You started by quoting me stating "in process of talking to Benq" with " contact benQ and replace it" and you saying "Are you actually seeing a loss in resolution" when i quote you from a question you asked hours previously explain the loss in resolution with video and image evidence. At that point I was pretty sure you we're trolling me for fun to the point where I had to ask people if I was crazy for the seeing the issues, to which I got several responses saying it was clearly visible .... then you view you second attempt at help something other than pure snark on your end (Pro Tip: Starting a sentence with "Wouldn’️t it be great ..." followed by a meme is a merriam webster dictionary example of snark) and you view yourself as a victim or unworthy of a rebut I'm really not sure what to say.

Listen, I'm genuinely sorry you have some sort of issues chief. You're obviously a dedicated enthusiast ... not a professional, an ENTHUSIAST .... with some connects that let you review products ( whoop-de-doo, been there, done that, do that) but people do come here for conversation and help, so my advice is if you can, do. Just try not to be uppity or pretentious about it, it's not a good look.

4101 - 4120 of 6282 Posts