AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I had another thread not too long ago about my Infocus X1 that isn't working properly, and I've now decided to just give it up and buy a new one.

I hadn't planned on spending more than about $2000, but I've had some recommendations on the X10 and W5000, and I'm tempted to put in the extra cash to get either one of those.

I see a lot of people recommending the W5000, and I asked a friend that knows a good deal more than me. I've got a pretty small room, and the length from the pj to the screen is about 125" (possibly a little more, can't remember), and he said the W5000 needs long throwing distance. My screen is 70" and the calculator I tried said the image size would be about 72", so I can't see why it wouldn't work?

Also cause of the limited space in my room I had to put the screen quite high on the wall, and the length from the pj (ceiling mounted) to the top of the screen is about 12". Will this cause any problems? I know the X10 has keystone, hopefully the W5000 does as well?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyralyon /forum/post/14250380

I know the X10 has keystone, hopefully the W5000 does as well?
NEVER, EVER, USE KEYSTONE CORRECTION!!

It may be suitable for straightening out power point presentations in classrooms but any amount of keystone correction introduces distortion and visual artifacts (moire) and it is definitely not appropriate for home theater.

The correct approach is to mount the projector and screen properly to avoid the use of keystone correction or use a projector which offers lens shift.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oops, guess I just cursed in the church there :p

Yeah, I know, but it was the only option I had with the X1...

The W5000 has lens shift though, so I guess that's a good point for going with that. The only problem I can see would be if the distance is too short to project a 70" image. Could anyone confirm that it won't be a problem?

·
Registered
157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyralyon /forum/post/14250604

Oops, guess I just cursed in the church there :p

Yeah, I know, but it was the only option I had with the X1...

The W5000 has lens shift though, so I guess that's a good point for going with that. The only problem I can see would be if the distance is too short to project a 70" image. Could anyone confirm that it won't be a problem?

The projectors range for a 70" screen is 9'4" to 11'3"

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thanks. I wrote 125"... I'm Norwegian and never use the english system :p

I'm gonna do a more correct measurement when I get home today, and then I'll see I guess.

Thanks for the replies so far

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I might get a problem filling out my entire 70" screen after all...

The length from my X1 to the screen is about 9'10-10'2, and the W5000 is about 3.5" longer than the X1. That would maybe mean the image size is something like 67"

I need to buy a house soon, so that I can dedicate a room to my home cinema...

·
Registered
730 Posts
Another thing to note is that the Infocus is a lot more noisy than the Ben Q, even in "whisper" mode, which I think would be an important factor in a small room.

Also my take would be that the W5000 will give you a better picture.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamede /forum/post/14254782

Another thing to note is that the Infocus is a lot more noisy than the Ben Q, even in "whisper" mode, which I think would be an important factor in a small room.

ditto

·
Registered
438 Posts
w500 should have no problem with 70" from 125" away. According to the manual min/max distance for 70" are 286/343 cm. The problem will be if you want to get a bigger screen in the future.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm, ok, I guess I'll see about the screen size when I get it.

I guess it's settled, a W5000 it is

Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
525 Posts

Quote:

Why do you say that? Infocus has a reputation of providing projectors with above average picture quality compared to other manufacturers using the same image technology (both the Infocus and BenQ are DC1 DLP projectors).

Can you clairify you statement a bit as to why you feel this way?

·
Registered
18 Posts

Quote:

Do you know this from experience? I'm curious as not many have the X10 up and running yet

·
Registered
730 Posts
The BenQ is well known to be 25db in quiet mode and the Infocus is estimated at 30db, which they have not superceded in other models and not likely to in an entry level model. The few feedback I have see on the Infocus here in norway have not contradicted that.

5db from 30db to 25 is quite a lot. Not a trivial difference at all.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Hmmm...30db is not exactly a Jet airplane in the room either. With the current street price of the W5000 so low it may actually be the better bang for the buck.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Although there is conflicting reports I am pretty sure the w5000 uses DC2, it was listed on many foreign websites where the w5000 was first released and a couple confirmed it as DC2.

http://www.hcinema.de/pro/anzeigen.php?angabe=benqw5000

And someone also got a direct answer from benq italy.

"BenQ Italia just answered me and W5000 officially mounts a Darkchip 2 0,95"

Also the w5000 has a dynamic and manual iris, very helpful for blacks and shadow detail.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Beyond that I am completely happy with my w5000 excellent sharp picture and excellent light output. Many features.

I would say your best guess the w5000 might be your best bet because of the favorable reviews it has seen, it competes with the 1080ub, I have seen people perfer the W5000 and some perfer the 1080ub, yet I have not seen a review or mention of the X10, I was looking at it as well 2 months ago on projector people and nobody had any comments or reviewed it, unless of course some favorable reviews start coming out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got my W5000 today, but realize I need a new mount. Had a universal mount for my X1, but it's not big enough.

Anyone have any recommendations? It should be as low-profile as possible, as the space between the top of the screen and to the roof isn't all that great.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts