AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With new models imminent from just about every manufacturers there are some serious markdowns on items that are recently, or shortly, to be dis-continued. For instance, I've been looking at two really big price slashes: The Benq W5000 at about $1,800 (new, not refurb) and the ViewSonic Pro-HD1080 at $1,200. The Viewsonic has a bit more placement flexibility which I'm aware of, but other than that I wondered if anyone had seen them both and could enlighten me to which is the best "bang-for-buck" or whatever? I am also aware of Viewsonics guarantee being 3 years which certainly is generous.

Ok, to put a fly in the ointment I guess I'd settle for the Panasonic AX-200U if the concensus was it was better than either for it's new price of about a grand.

Thanks for your valued opinions.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Do you mean the Viewsonic Pro8100? I am also very interested in that projector. I am thinking of going that route or the new Optoma HD20. It seems the Pro8100 has a lot of advanced tech in it other than the normal things like contrast ratio. Motorized horizontal and vertical lens shifts seems the one most people are mentioning. I am a newb when it comes to projectors, but it seems to me a $5,000 projector marked down to $1200 is better than a $1000 newer projector that probably cuts some corners to keep costs down. I am ranting now, since I dont have any info on the BenQ

·
Registered
478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt /forum/post/16932103

Do you mean the Viewsonic Pro8100? I am also very interested in that projector. I am thinking of going that route or the new Optoma HD20. It seems the Pro8100 has a lot of advanced tech in it other than the normal things like contrast ratio. Motorized horizontal and vertical lens shifts seems the one most people are mentioning. I am a newb when it comes to projectors, but it seems to me a $5,000 projector marked down to $1200 is better than a $1000 newer projector that probably cuts some corners to keep costs down. I am ranting now, since I dont have any info on the BenQ

Not always, those old projectors are both good, but there not that much off from the new HD20, there is a few things missing from the HD20 like lens shift, but thats because its DLP so is the W5000. I myself am in the market for a new PJ and im looking at either the W5000 or the HD20. The pro8100 is not very common and also had an Iris problem. It's supposedly fixed though. They All have there own unique features. Like the W5000 has really good contrast over the HD80, yet the HD20 beats it with Lumens. The Pro8100 is LCD so you get lens shift. The pro8100 is HUGE so its very limited in space. The HD20 is super small. They all seem like a good deal, but I had LCD projectors a lot and DLP always gives that Wow factor. I am going DLP this time around.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the Viewsonic you mention is the one I'm referring to. I, too, like all the added features of the Viewsonic. I'm a bit worried over LCD panels developing color streaks or defects, but at 3 years the warranty takes a fair bit of that away. I've read reviews on all three projectors and I take it the Benq is best, by a fair margin, at blacks...But, with that said the other two are both very decent and, more importantly, have good shadow detail. Good blacks with poor shadow detail is pretty much a "no-brainer", but decent black levels with pretty good shadow detail is fine by me.

Perhaps, I should not have added the Panasonic as it is a 720p model, but since I was going with "bang-for-buck" type responses I felt it may have a place as 720p done very well, as it seems the Panasonic does, just may bring it up several notches to the point of being something I should consider given the recent price.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
the viewsonic pro 8100 have more bright, sharp and crispier image than the benq w5000 also there is no image noise at high definition like what people complain about the benq, also i prefer the lcd projector for not having rainbow effect even the fastest wheel dlp projector like infoucs in83 have rainbow effect at the large white areas of the image, the iris problem had been fixed with the 2.5 firmware update and art at projectorreviews

tried the new firmware and confiremed that the problem disappeared, so i advice you to get the viewsonic.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks...I've got a Gateway (Vizio or Brillian was the other brandname I think clone) 56" dlp rear projector tv and I've never seen the rainbow on it, but I was wondering if on a larger projected image could it be more of a problem? Right now I'm favoring the Viewsonic because of the better lens and the 3-year warranty if the image quality is as good as on the Benq. I too have read about the video noise on the Benq. It's not exactly alarming yet it does seem to be a small weakness that is very real and can be noticeable.

·
Registered
478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt /forum/post/16936730

I ordered the pro 8100 today from tigerdirect and got 65 bucks back from bing cashback, so it was 1235, not too bad.

Only 65? When i did it it was $157 back. I was tempted to buy it, but didnt want to wait 60 days for the cash back, do you have to wait 60 days?

If you searched up stores with bing you got 5% back, but if you went to bing.com and searched "tiger direct" it has a box on the top of the page saying 12.1% cashback. Not sure why there was 2 different ones, its probably to hurt those who didn't use the search feature.

·
Registered
478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt /forum/post/16937456

I saw the 157 back as well but wasnt able to order it with it. See my thread about tiger direct after ordering, ugh

Why couldnt you purchase with the 157, I almost bought that pj but backed out at the last min. It showed it all the way to the end with the 157. I was going to get it.

As for them not having it in stock, thats understandable, these companies don't have many of them, and there has been a lot of talk about it on here so people are snatching them up, thinking there a really good deal, when its only an ok deal. In the coming months there will be much better, but for now its a good deal. I'm still temped to buy one. I do want a w5000 instead, but if i cant find one for around $1300 ill buy the pro8100 instead, or the hd20 still.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got the 12.1% and $157.00 back. I confirmed it on my cashback Bing account right after. I did get a disturbing Visa Verify upon checkout that made me do a double take before ordering. In a new window I looked it up and it seemed legit.

If you jump through a couple of hoops you can get your cashback right away. I like waiting 60 days because the wife forgets its coming and I can get ready for the next have to have deal. If it was instant we would be off to purchase some sort of decorating nonsense.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
To be honest, I would pick the BenQ SP830 over the BenQ W5000 with your budget, as the BenQ SP830 is more of a multi-purpose projector which can actually do 1920x1080 (16:9) at its maximum resolution. Its native resolution is 1280x768 and is 15:9 (Aspect Ratio). The projector also offers 3500 lumens which means you would be able to take your projector to outdoor projection if there isn't much disturbances from other outdoor lights. You could also use this projector in more ambient lighting conditions which will make your uses of the projector a lot more varied.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tiger is out of the Viewsonic since yesterday so I guess cash back or no cash back the issue is moot on that particular retail channel. How does a less than native 1080p projector do a 1080p at full resolution btw?

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
chumpchange21 -- 720p or 768p projectors can only display at their native resolution, regardles of what input resolution they can accept. Any 1080i input will be down-scaled to their native resolution (either 720p or 768p).

Business type PJs, like the SP830 are not good for HT use, in general. Usually the DLP versions have slower color wheels and can exhibit disturbing amounts of RBE (the rainbow effect). They also get their high brightness by using a clear segment in their color wheels, which doesn't yield good color saturation (the colors tend to look more wased out).

bouda78 -- Please be more accurate. Film (and Blu-Ray discs) use 24Hz (24h is an incorrect use of the term) as the frame rate. Most 720p PJs will accept 1080i (60Hz interlaced) inputs. Not all will accept 1080p inputs, 30Hz or 24Hz (my old 720p DLP would not accept 1080p inputs, for example).

AudioFileZ -- It doesn't, as I explained, above. The 1080p (or 1080i) signal gets down-scaled to the native PJ resolution. Also, all interlaced signals get de-interlaced to progressive ("p") before going to the PJs display panels. This is true for all fixed pixel displays, of any type. 1080p displays get everything upscaled to 1920 x 1080 (1080p) resolution regardless of what the signal input is.

The only exception are CRT displays, which are "interlaced" displays, by design.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, curiously I thought I would try again and this time by going through several searches I found the PRO 81000 available at Tiger. Supposedly I was offered 12.5% Bing cashback also...So, I pulled the trigger. It will be interesting to see if that cashback thing is hassle-free. Basically, with the cashback figured and shipping costs added I will come in at just under $1,200 for this pj. Hope I did the right thing here and also hope they really are in-stock if it's the right thing. August 14th is the projected delivery date which for anything I've ever ordered from Tiger seems a bit longer than usual. I'm obviously nervous about the entire thing. I've got a Peerless ceiling mount so I haven't yet ordered a ceiling mount until I see if that will work. The Peerless was originally for a JVC G-10 Dila so it may not work unless there is some kind of universal mounting bolt arrangement. As far as being heavy duty for a heavy projector the Peerless certainly meets that criteria. Just hope I'm doing the right thing ordering this projector!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
audiofilez when you see the image of the viewsonic pro8100 you will see thats worth more than you paid , considering tigertarget useually orders from outside source if out of stock , and if you searched through google shopping you will find starting price at 1357$. good luck

ct-wiebe sorry for missing the "z" and the BenQ SP830 is new 720p pj that accepts 1080p at 24Hz and 1080i 50-60Hz , bluyray and hddvd movies 23.97fps but if you played dvd or divix , mkv. youll notice a break in the motion at 1080p 24Hz you need 1080p 50-120Hz to rerun normally.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouda78 /forum/post/16934882

the viewsonic pro 8100 have more bright, sharp and crispier image than the benq w5000 also there is no image noise at high definition like what people complain about the benq, also i prefer the lcd projector for not having rainbow effect even the fastest wheel dlp projector like infoucs in83 have rainbow effect at the large white areas of the image, the iris problem had been fixed with the 2.5 firmware update and art at projectorreviews

tried the new firmware and confiremed that the problem disappeared, so i advice you to get the viewsonic.

How do you know what firmware the projector has? I just recieved my 8100 but have yet to crack open the box... I have to complete my basement first

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
izover4u -- You definitely should get it set up temporarily & run it (as floridapoolboy suggested). You only have a short time (15 to 30 days) to return it for a replacement, if it is DOA or has a serious problem. If you wait, you could be SOL and in for a long turn-around for a replacement (plus a lot of hassle).

Other AVS members have discovered this the hard way.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts