AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1493 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks for the info Frank. I keep reading on these non-English sites that these puppies can handle HDR10+, but I've yet to see this in any official literature? I'm guessing it's a mistake. Anyone know?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for the info Frank. I keep reading on these non-English sites that these puppies can handle HDR10+, but I've yet to see this in any official literature? I'm guessing it's a mistake. Anyone know?

No they can’t do HDR10+. Just HDR10 and HLG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
No they can’t do HDR10+. Just HDR10 and HLG

The French reviewer Grégory suggested no more, he (correctly) wrote "HDR 10, HLG"

Can't help to think that it might be a smart move of BenQ to release both new models simultaneously.

As I expect demand for the HT3550 to be very high on release day, releasing the HT5550 simultaneously could take off some pressure of the HT3550 (but then again, I definitely prefer the HT5550 to be thoroughly checked and ready, before being released prematurely with bugs).

·
Registered
1,581 Posts

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
The French reviewer Grégory suggested no more, he (correctly) wrote "HDR 10, HLG"

Can't help to think that it might be a smart move of BenQ to release both new models simultaneously.

As I expect demand for the HT3550 to be very high on release day, releasing the HT5550 simultaneously could take off some pressure of the HT3550 (but then again, I definitely prefer the HT5550 to be thoroughly checked and ready, before being released prematurely with bugs).

The HT5550 is only going to be sold through BenQ's dealer network. It is not going to see the wide retail release of the HT3550.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I see now that the official lumen spec says 1800 ... Kind of sad, really.
Coming from a 3000 lumen Epson TW6700, I was hoping for a bit more punch for my living room cinema :-(
Now I'm fearing this baby won't cut the mustard ....

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Same here, seems like my desperate search for successor for my trusty warhorse Benq W5000 is finally looking promising. I have checked so many projectors in the past few years with disappointment one after another.
I need also placement flexibility my W5000 offers and this one looks similar allowing me to place in on high shelf. I see these also come factory calibrated with calibration report, it would be interesting to see first review how well it is done. It would surely save me from many sleepless nights calibrating my projector. :)

Only thing based on the specifications looks a bit peculiar to me, is that despite of its size almost same as W5000 it only weights 2/3 of that, so hopefully it is not clunky noisy plastic toy what many products today tend to be. I also wonder how well this compares against W11000 or X12000 which seem also very nice and heavy machines but unfortunately those things are too deep for me so it would cause too much placement issues, and obviously those are somewhat older technology anyway, but definitely look build like tanks.

I don't even mind this being a lamp based projector, if lamp life is anything similar to W5000, where lamps last very well.

I can't wait to see first good reviews of this model.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
The HT5550 is only going to be sold through BenQ's dealer network. It is not going to see the wide retail release of the HT3550.

My bad, I should have written W5700 and W2700 as I'm not aware that this dealer network exclusivity applies here in Europe. :eek:

There is one little thing I do find annoying about the W5700 / HT5550 already now - BenQ highlights the black casing to reduce ambient light reflections on the casing, nevertheless features the green "power on" LED indicator on the projector's front side. :frown:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
My bad, I should have written W5700 and W2700 as I'm not aware that this dealer network exclusivity applies here in Europe. :eek:

There is one little thing I do find annoying about the W5700 / HT5550 already now - BenQ highlights the black casing to reduce ambient light reflections on the casing, nevertheless features the green "power on" LED indicator on the projector's front side. :frown:

I doubt that LED will be bright enough to cause any concern. Who knows, maybe they’ll let you shut it off in the menu. :)

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I doubt that LED will be bright enough to cause any concern. Who knows, maybe they’ll let you shut it off in the menu. :)

Those pesky LEDs can be very annoying, especially in a batcave for which the HT5550 seems to have been designed. :(

IMHO, BenQ better rethinks the LED position or encloses a "plug" to close this 'leak'.

Interestingly, the HT3550 doesn't feature a front LED, according to my experience its white casing would be a lesser problem than this green-lit front LED.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
Have any of you math majors figured out how to guesstimate the range of this projector with its 1.6 zoom? My screen is 106" What would my short to long distances be? It's not on Proj Central yet.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Have any of you math majors figured out how to guesstimate the range of this projector with its 1.6 zoom? My screen is 106" What would my short to long distances be? It's not on Proj Central yet.
I'm seeing 10' 5" to 16' 9" for a 106" diagonal on the 5700/5550.

FWIW the Optima UHD65 has a similar lens range (1.39-2.22) versus the 5700 (1.36-2.18) to get you close.

EDIT: I see the JVC UH-LX1 has the same range as the 5700 so any calculators that have this unit should give you what you need for distance.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
I'm seeing 10' 5" to 16' 9" for a 106" diagonal on the 5700/5550.

FWIW the Optima UHD65 has a similar lens range (1.39-2.22) versus the 5700 (1.36-2.18) to get you close.

EDIT: I see the JVC UH-LX1 has the same range as the 5700 so any calculators that have this unit should give you what you need for distance.
Excellent. Looks like I will be close to the sweet spot at a little over 13 feet.

·
Registered
146 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I will be getting some hands on time with this HT5550 at BenQ's HT3550/HT5550 launch even in NYC on the 21st. Anything you all would like me to test for you?

·
Registered
472 Posts
I will be getting some hands on time with this HT5550 at BenQ's HT3550/HT5550 launch even in NYC on the 21st. Anything you all would like me to test for you?
With your familiarity, hopefully it, at least, does everything the 3550 does as a baseline.

Since I am looking at this projector for use with an A-lens, it would be helpful to know how far the projector lens is recessed from the front casing or lens housing - whatever is in place that would stop the A-lens from closing the gap. Coming from the W1070, hopefully not more than 1/2".

Related to that, is there an aspect ratio menu setting that will stretch a 2.40 letterbox image vertically within the 16:9 frame, while maintaining the horizontal.

BTW: Do you happen to know the answer to these questions as it relates to the 3550?

Reactions: scottyroo

·
Registered
146 Posts
Awesome, thanks so much for the offer!

Questions I have:

1. is the black level lower than the 3550?
  2. it lists a higher dynamic contrast than the 3550. How was that achieved?
  3. sage mentioned in the HT3550 thread that the PJ he received back now does native 24 fps playback (instead of doing 3:2 pulldown to 60). Will that be available on the 5550 as well? How was this achieved?
  4. US MSRP and when it will be available to purchase :)

21 - 40 of 1493 Posts